Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Civil Abortion Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Civil Abortion Discussion

OK - I'm going to give this a shot - in a new thread with a clean start. My request, if you are going to join this discussion, is that it be kept civil and respectful. That means no name calling, no insults, and no taunting emojis. I'd also like to request that people leave the hyperbolic language that both sides tend to use about this topic "at the door." No "Big Abortion," no "abortion mills," no accusations of misogyny or religious fanaticism.

I have a fairly simple premise: the existing "war" between the two sides of the abortion debate is unresolvable, so it is pointless to continue engaging in it. A different paradigm needs to be considered. That is based on the following:

1) The current debate/war is rooted in a disagreement on when life begins.
    2) There has been essentially zero progress to aligning the opposing views on when life begins for the last 50 years.
    3) There is no basis for believing those views will be aligned in the next 50 years

If those three statements are true, then continuing a battle in which the goal is to align those views so as to end abortions is doomed to fail.
    Ergo - if we cannot end abortions by aligning views on when life begins, we need to figure out another way to end abortions.

Let's start there.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Here's a modest start to reduce some abortions and to help more people do the right thing. Let's start pushing for a nationwide initiative to reduce the cost of adoptions:

From Planning for Adoption: Knowing the Costs and Resources.

Private agency adoptions conducted outside the public
    child welfare system vary widely in costs based on the
    agency used and the individual adoption circumstances
    but may range from $20,000 to $45,000. Overall costs may
    include the home study, court and legal fees, preadoption
    and postadoption counseling for birth parents, birth
    parent medical and legal expenses, adoptive parent
    preparation and training, social work services needed to
    match a child with a prospective family, interim care for a
    child, and postplacement supervision until the adoption is
    finalized.

Additionally, making the system run a bit smoother, with fewer pauses and delays, might save some lives.

fwiw,
    guacamole
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Ergo - if we cannot end abortions by aligning views on when life begins, we need to figure out another way to end abortions.
      And that other way is...?

The problem is that any measure that reduces the desirability of abortion has been and will be staunchly opposed by pro-abortionists. Even something as simple, routine, and medically defensible as requiring women to get an ultrasound before an abortion is decried by pro-abortionists because they're afraid it humanizes the baby.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        Here's a modest start to reduce some abortions and to help more people do the right thing. Let's start pushing for a nationwide initiative to reduce the cost of adoptions:

From Planning for Adoption: Knowing the Costs and Resources.

Private agency adoptions conducted outside the public
        child welfare system vary widely in costs based on the
        agency used and the individual adoption circumstances
        but may range from $20,000 to $45,000. Overall costs may
        include the home study, court and legal fees, preadoption
        and postadoption counseling for birth parents, birth
        parent medical and legal expenses, adoptive parent
        preparation and training, social work services needed to
        match a child with a prospective family, interim care for a
        child, and postplacement supervision until the adoption is
        finalized.

Additionally, making the system run a bit smoother, with fewer pauses and delays, might save some lives.

fwiw,
        guacamole
        I couldn't agree more. There is a adoption tax credit ($14,080) but it only applies to those who have a tax burden and only hits once in the year when the adoption finalizes. Since finalizing an adoption can take months and sometimes years, it means the cost burden is borne completely by the adopting couple until that time of finalization. Those who have a tax burden below this number cannot access the full credit (i.e., your credit is your tax burden or $14,080, whichever is less)

If we can subsidize industries like oil and coal and renewables, why not subsidize the adoption industry so the cost per adoption is significantly lowered?

This is an example of an approach that does not require us to get into the "when does life begin" muck - and instead looks for practical solutions both sides can agree on.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Here's another modest proposal; if we reduce teen pregnancies, we will reduce teen abortions. Here's an interesting article from Psychology Today that proposes that a good way to reduce pregnancies (and therefore, abortions) is to encourage parents to talk to their kids about sex and contraception:

From: Teen Pregnancies Fall but Sex Ed Doesn't Work. Huh?

But since 1990, teen pregnancies have plummeted 62 percent. How is this possible? Because parents have become more willing to discuss sex with their children—and the kids listen.

I hasten to add that when my two adult children were teens, they seemed to ignore—or scoff at—everything my wife and I said. But a good deal of research shows that children pay close attention to what parents say about sex and to the behavior they model.

Sex is difficult to discuss with one’s children, and many parents don’t say a word. That’s why, starting in the late 1960s, comprehensive sex education was introduced into schools—because parents were so reluctant to discuss it. But in 1981, AIDS appeared, and for a decade, it meant almost certain death. As a result of AIDS, parents of the 1980s overcame their reticence and spoke up about contraception, particularly condoms, which prevent both pregnancy and HIV transmission. When our children were teens we told them that it was their decision when they became sexual, but that when they did, we would be happy to supply them with all the condoms and lube they needed.

Thanks to parental intervention, teens delayed first intercourse. During the 1980s, well over half of teens reported intercourse by high school graduation. Now the figure is less than half.

And thanks to parents, teen condom use is at an all-time high, and teen pregnancies have fallen to their lowest level in decades.

Compared with a generation ago, today’s teens are more likely to have parents who speak up about sexual responsibility. That suggests that when they become parents, today’s teens should also talk about contraception and STI prevention with their kids.

Instead of spending millions of dollars annually on sex education programs that produce little or no benefit, funding should go to programs that help parents discuss sex with their children—evening and weekend classes for parents.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            And that other way is...?
            First, do you agree with the three points made?

Second, I don't have an answer to that question. The entire point is that we need to bring both sides together to explore strategies that will significantly reduce abortions that BOTH sides can agree on, rather than devoting efforts to a debate that cannot be resolved. My argument is a meta argument about how we approach the issue - not a claim that I have the solution. Indeed, I don't think there is "a solution." I think the solution will be a combination of things that will drive society to a place where abortion is seen as "undesirable" and "uncool."

Guaca is demonstrating exactly the kind of thinking we should be using, but I'll add another thought: the two sides have become so reactive, at this point, that I suspect the only way any of this is going to pass muster for either side is if it is coming from a group that clearly represents the interests and concerns of both sides.

The problem is that any measure that reduces the desirability of abortion has been and will be staunchly opposed by pro-abortionists. Even something as simple, routine, and medically defensible as requiring women to get an ultrasound before an abortion is decried by pro-abortionists because they're afraid it humanizes the baby.
            MM, one of the primary arguments of the other side is "a woman has the right to make decisions about their own medical treatment." You cannot rationally expect that an approach that requires a woman to be subjected to a particular medical procedure is going to be welcomed with open arms. The point is to find strategies, like the ones proposed by Guaca, that can be enthusiastically embraced by both sides. Guaca's first suggestion does not address abortion per se, but it does at least look beefing up the resources available for adoption. His second does directly address abortion.
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              Here's another modest proposal; if we reduce teen pregnancies, we will reduce teen abortions. Here's an interesting article from Psychology Today that proposes that a good way to reduce pregnancies (and therefore, abortions) is to encourage parents to talk to their kids about sex and contraception:

From: Teen Pregnancies Fall but Sex Ed Doesn't Work. Huh?

But since 1990, teen pregnancies have plummeted 62 percent. How is this possible? Because parents have become more willing to discuss sex with their children—and the kids listen.

I hasten to add that when my two adult children were teens, they seemed to ignore—or scoff at—everything my wife and I said. But a good deal of research shows that children pay close attention to what parents say about sex and to the behavior they model.

Sex is difficult to discuss with one’s children, and many parents don’t say a word. That’s why, starting in the late 1960s, comprehensive sex education was introduced into schools—because parents were so reluctant to discuss it. But in 1981, AIDS appeared, and for a decade, it meant almost certain death. As a result of AIDS, parents of the 1980s overcame their reticence and spoke up about contraception, particularly condoms, which prevent both pregnancy and HIV transmission. When our children were teens we told them that it was their decision when they became sexual, but that when they did, we would be happy to supply them with all the condoms and lube they needed.

Thanks to parental intervention, teens delayed first intercourse. During the 1980s, well over half of teens reported intercourse by high school graduation. Now the figure is less than half.

And thanks to parents, teen condom use is at an all-time high, and teen pregnancies have fallen to their lowest level in decades.

Compared with a generation ago, today’s teens are more likely to have parents who speak up about sexual responsibility. That suggests that when they become parents, today’s teens should also talk about contraception and STI prevention with their kids.

Instead of spending millions of dollars annually on sex education programs that produce little or no benefit, funding should go to programs that help parents discuss sex with their children—evening and weekend classes for parents.
              Yes! That's basically the kind of thing we should be looking for. If there is a demonstrable link between parental discussions about sex, then anything we could put in place to educate/encourage parents to engage this way will have an impact. So why not fund in-school programs at all school levels targeted to parents to foster an understanding of the importance of discussing sex with their children, and good ways to do so? Why not an ad campaign that focuses on this importance - and encourages attendance. Why not include this in high school and college sex education courses so we are educating the next generation of parents?

We don't need to agree on "when life begins" to do ANY of these things.

Comment

OK - I'm going to give this a shot - in a new thread with a clean start. My request, if you are going to join this discussion, is that it be kept civil and respectful. That means no name calling, no insults, and no taunting emojis. I'd also like to request that people leave the hyperbolic language that both sides tend to use about this topic "at the door." No "Big Abortion," no "abortion mills," no accusations of misogyny or religious fanaticism.

I have a fairly simple premise: the existing "war" between the two sides of the abortion debate is unresolvable, so it is pointless to continue engaging in it. A different paradigm needs to be considered. That is based on the following:

2) There has been essentially zero progress to aligning the opposing views on when life begins for the last 50 years.
                3) There is no basis for believing those views will be aligned in the next 50 years

If those three statements are true, then continuing a battle in which the goal is to align those views so as to end abortions is doomed to fail.

Let's start there.
                Access to better medical care has resulted in the lowest rates of unintended pregnancies and abortions since the 1970's. If pro-lifers are truly concerned about the abortion rate they should concern themselves with womens access to medical care such as planned parenthood.

Comment

The entire point is that we need to bring both sides together to explore strategies that will significantly reduce abortions that BOTH sides can agree on...
                  Except there is no common ground. Pro-abortionists don't see abortion as something that needs to be mitigated. Deliver, adopt, abort... it's all the same to them.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Access to better medical care has resulted in the lowest rates of unintended pregnancies and abortions since the 1970's. If pro-lifers are truly concerned about the abortion rate they should concern themselves with womens access to medical care such as planned parenthood.
                    I suggest that is an example of returning to the same mantras and topics that have been the basis for the ongoing abortion war for the last 50 years. If we're going to make progress, we need to set aside differences (that doesn't mean they stop being differences) and look for common ground.

Comment

Except there is no common ground. Pro-abortionists don't see abortion as something that needs to be mitigated. Deliver, adopt, abort... it's all the same to them.
                      The assumption that "the other side" is intransigent and acting in bad faith is part of the problem. You make this assumption of them; they make it of you. It is the road to "no progress" and another 50 years of fruitless war. Making progress means setting aside that mindset, and giving "the other side" the benefit of the doubt. Both sides need to be willing to do that.

As for "no common ground." I disagree. For example, I cannot imagine a single pro-choicer not getting behind a plan to subsidize adoptions, or initiate a national campaign of "talking about sex to kids."

Would you support such initiatives?

Comment

As for "no common ground." I disagree. For example, I cannot imagine a single pro-choicer not getting behind a plan to subsidize adoptions, or initiate a national campaign of "talking about sex to kids."
                        Perhaps a large part of the problem is that "one side" has allowed - even championed - Planned Parenthood to be the face of "choice", and there appears to be no effort on their part for neutrality on the "choice".

As long as one side recognizes Planned Parenthood as "the authority" on "choice", the battle lines remain fixed.

Am I overlooking another major entity or force for the "choice" side that is less "pro abortion"?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This just isn't true. Like RvW, the current debate isn't when "life begins", it's when that life becomes a "person". You need to modify your argument to reflect that.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The assumption that "the other side" is intransigent and acting in bad faith is part of the problem. You make this assumption of them; they make it of you. It is the road to "no progress" and another 50 years of fruitless war. Making progress means setting aside that mindset, and giving "the other side" the benefit of the doubt. Both sides need to be willing to do that.

Would you support such initiatives?
                            I think any "solution" that ignores the elephant in the room -- that abortion always terminates a human life -- is going to have limited and temporary success.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              This just isn't true. Like RvW, the current debate isn't when "life begins", it's when that life becomes a "person". You need to modify your argument to reflect that.
                              Good catch.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment