Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

A Big Ask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Ask

If anyone can recall the details of the following very vague recollection, and can link me to the relevant post, I will be very grateful.

(I believe that CP responded when this happened)

Someone claimed that one of the (I think it was) patristic fathers had made a particular statement. Checking the reference, I found that the claim was in fact true. Reading beyond that, the writer contradicted himself. Wider context provided an answer for the confusion – without any apparent cues to indicate what he was doing, the patristic father was presenting another person’s argument and following up with his own counter argument.

[With so little to go on, I'm not expecting a happy result.]
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

hmmmmmmmm

pondering
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How long ago was this?
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Would that have been Athanasius, in Contra Apollinarius? Can't remember why I picked that up, but I think it was due to a conversation here.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thanks OBP - I'll check it out.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

o
            Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            If anyone can recall the details of the following very vague recollection, and can link me to the relevant post, I will be very grateful.

(I believe that CP responded when this happened)

Someone claimed that one of the (I think it was) patristic fathers had made a particular statement. Checking the reference, I found that the claim was in fact true. Reading beyond that, the writer contradicted himself. Wider context provided an answer for the confusion – without any apparent cues to indicate what he was doing, the patristic father was presenting another person’s argument and following up with his own counter argument.

[With so little to go on, I'm not expecting a happy result.]
            Could the reference be to Origen’s “Against Celsus” ? He quotes long selections from Celsus, in order to discuss them. Origen is probably one of the more widely-read Fathers. Clement of Alexandria may be another possibility.
            Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 09-16-2019, 11:11 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X