Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump has made America less racist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump has made America less racist

Trump has made America less racist

Anti-black and anti-Hispanic prejudice has declined since 2016, new study shows.

The election of Donald Trump has, of course, unleashed the latent racist which lurks within millions of Americans. We know this because enlightened opinion keeps telling us so. The New Yorker, for example, ran a piece in November 2016 declaring ‘Hate on rise since Trump’s election’, and quoting a list of incidents collected by the Southern Poverty Law Center – including the experience of a girl in Colorado who was allegedly told by a white man: ‘Now that Trump is president I am going to shoot you and all the blacks I can find’. TIME magazine, too, ran a story in the same month announcing ‘Racist incidents are up since Donald Trump’s election’. In March 2017 the Nation asserted ‘Donald Trump’s rise has coincided with an explosion in hate groups’, claiming that 100 racist organizations had been founded since Trump began his presidential campaign.

And so it goes on. Just as with Britain’s vote for Brexit, Trump’s strident language and his concentration on issues such as migration is supposed to have coarsened political discourse – legitimizing racist and xenophobic opinions in people who might otherwise have been shamed into silence. By this narrative, even slightly immoderate speeches, posters and campaigns by politicians become magnified through the lens of public opinion into something much more sinister. A speech on migration, goes the theory, can all too easily erupt into bar room arguments and end with a Muslim or a black man having his head kicked in.

It sounds vaguely plausible, but is it true? Not if a new paper by a pair of sociologists at the University of Pennsylvania is anything to go by. Daniel J. Hopkins and Samantha Washington set out to measure the effect of Trump’s election on anti-black and anti-Hispanic prejudice, using a randomly-selected panel of 2,500 Americans whose changing opinions have been under study since 2008. The academics report that they had been expecting to measure a rise in racist opinions, writing: ‘The normalization of prejudice or opinion leadership both lead us to expect that expressed prejudice may have increased in this period, especially among Republicans or Trump supporters’. They had been led to expect this, they say, through an extensive reading of recent literature in social sciences which, they say, supports the notion that racist attitudes lie dormant inside many people, waiting to be triggered by certain events – of which the election of Donald Trump might be one. There could, after all, hardly be anything more calculated to awaken an incipient racist than the president calling Mexicans a bunch of rapists.

Yet the study found exactly the opposite. Americans, claim Hopkins and Washington, have actually become less inclined to express racist opinions since Donald Trump was elected. Anti-black prejudice, they found, declined by a statistically-insignificant degree between 2012 and 2016, when Trump was elected. But then after 2016 it took a sharp dive that was statistically significant. Moreover, contrary to their expectations, the fall was as evident among Republican voters as it was among Democrats. There was also a general fall in anti-Hispanic prejudice, too, although this was more evident among Democrat voters.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

But you are forgetting Identity Politics which says white people are racist by default just because they are white.

Comment

Wait. The MSM has revealed to us that this is racism that is undetectable among white men. Thus any scientific study is automatically flawed.

Comment

I'm sure Obama deserves most if not all of the credit. It's like the economy where a president's policies don't start having an effect until the next guy takes office.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Worse yet. Science is based on a Christian philosophical foundation which said that nature wasn't whimsical but followed laws. Thus, science, which is based on a Middle Eastern Judeo-Christian backdrop, is biased and cannot be grounds for understanding the world.

Comment

And our very own Trump-haters continue to accuse him of racism.

The only way the media have been able to smear Trump as a racist is through lies and deliberate misquotes. The Charlottesville Hoax is a perfect example, as is Jake Tapper’s serial lie about Trump mocking a reporter’s disability, as is Jim Acosta’s latest lie about Trump smearing all migrants…

But no one had to misquote Obama’s rhetoric against the police on every single racially charged issue, his relentless attacks on Republicans as racist, his role (and CNN’s) in exacerbating the racial tensions that resulted in race riots in Ferguson and Baltimore, or his supporters’ relentless attacks on everyday Americans as racist…

Trump, on the other hand, has offered only a unifying message about race and against racism. Despite the media’s lies, he condemns white supremacism, including after Charlottesville, and his focus on improving the lives of black and Hispanic Americans have resulted in record low unemployment for both groups.

Under Obama, racial tensions were always at a boil.

Under Trump, racial tensions (outside of the lies screamed in the news media) have settled down considerably.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What really bothers me about all this is how childish congress is acting. I am not excusing the republicans either, they had control for 2 years and wasted it.

We elected congress to govern our country, makes laws, and DO something. Instead for the last 3 years all they have done is bicker and fight about nonsense that I bet they don't even believe themselves. We have seen over and over how the same people who complain about how bad we are treating illegal aliens were themselves all for tighter border control, against sanctuary cities, etc. In other words, they just take the opposite view of the President, just so they can complain and argue. And in the meantime, nothing gets done. [which, thinking about it, might be a good thing]

They complain about immigration, healthcare, the economy, etc, but that's all they do. They don't actually legislate anything or fix anything.

They are no better than the millions of armchair quarterbacks spouting off on facebook and twitter (or tweb). But they COULD do something where we can't. That's what we elected them for. Not to fight like 5 year olds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                What really bothers me about all this is how childish congress is acting. I am not excusing the republicans either, they had control for 2 years and wasted it.

We elected congress to govern our country, makes laws, and DO something. Instead for the last 3 years all they have done is bicker and fight about nonsense that I bet they don't even believe themselves. We have seen over and over how the same people who complain about how bad we are treating illegal aliens were themselves all for tighter border control, against sanctuary cities, etc. In other words, they just take the opposite view of the President, just so they can complain and argue. And in the meantime, nothing gets done. [which, thinking about it, might be a good thing]

They complain about immigration, healthcare, the economy, etc, but that's all they do. They don't actually legislate anything or fix anything.

They are no better than the millions of armchair quarterbacks spouting off on facebook and twitter (or tweb). But they COULD do something where we can't. That's what we elected them for. Not to fight like 5 year olds.
                Yup - it has devolved into "the OTHER side is WORSE!" and not much attention is being given to "What's GOOD for the Country".

Comment

Most of the time, it seems like when the actually DO something it makes things WORSE.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Most of the time, it seems like when the actually DO something it makes things WORSE.
                    Thus my bracketed statement: [which, thinking about it, might be a good thing]

but considering that, couldn't we save a LOT of money and effort if we just disbanded them? After all, if they get rid of the electoral college and the states have no more sovereignty and everything is popular vote, we could just all vote for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Which is why I believe the first 5 words of the first amendment should be our Nation's Motto and Policy - Congress shall make no law.

Comment

Thus my bracketed statement: [which, thinking about it, might be a good thing]

but considering that, couldn't we save a LOT of money and effort if we just disbanded them? After all, if they get rid of the electoral college and the states have no more sovereignty and everything is popular vote, we could just all vote for everything.
                        You want to give the likes of Jussie Smollet and company THAT MUCH power. You're a brave man.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          You want to give the likes of Jussie Smollet and company THAT MUCH power. You're a brave man.
                          They would eventually self-destruct. Once California and New York implode the rest of us can get back to our normal lives.

Comment

They would eventually self-destruct. Once California and New York implode the rest of us can get back to our normal lives.
                            They'd latch onto the rest of the nation like a humongous tick, draining the rest of the country dry keeping themselves and their ideology afloat, and wouldn't stop until we were in the same boat as Greece -- but with nobody to help keep us afloat. IOW, they would be sure to take the rest of us with them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              They'd latch onto the rest of the nation like a humongous tick, draining the rest of the country dry keeping themselves and their ideology afloat, and wouldn't stop until we were in the same boat as Greece -- but with nobody to help keep us afloat. IOW, they would be sure to take the rest of us with them.
                              They would eat themselves first. It has already started.

Comment