Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Origin of life status

  1. #1
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,187
    Amen (Given)
    379
    Amen (Received)
    216

    Origin of life status

    Here is a video of scientist James Tour talking about the status of the origin of life research.



    He mentions time being an enemy, not a friend of origin of life scenarios (reactants turning into tar, for example), he mentions purifying reagents, reagent order and reaction parameters as hurdles. Then DNA assembly, carbohydrate assembly, and interactome assembly are mentioned as problems.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  2. #2
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,181
    Amen (Given)
    1526
    Amen (Received)
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Here is a video of scientist James Tour talking about the status of the origin of life research.



    He mentions time being an enemy, not a friend of origin of life scenarios (reactants turning into tar, for example), he mentions purifying reagents, reagent order and reaction parameters as hurdles. Then DNA assembly, carbohydrate assembly, and interactome assembly are mentioned as problems.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    Nice way to start a thread with a faith based hostile perspective of the origin of life. There is a super strong emphasis here of an 'argument from ignorance to support a religious agenda, and not an argument from science. I suspect the ENRON use of probability and statistics upfront as before.

    Well,ah . . .at least your religious based argument is upfront.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-18-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  3. #3
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,187
    Amen (Given)
    379
    Amen (Received)
    216
    By the way, James Tour is not an intelligent design proponent.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  4. #4
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,181
    Amen (Given)
    1526
    Amen (Received)
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    By the way, James Tour is not an intelligent design proponent.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    This does not change the weaknesses, arguing from ignorance, and the lack of foundation in science. I will review the reference in more detail.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  5. #5
    tWebber HMS_Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Thinking
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,075
    Amen (Given)
    53
    Amen (Received)
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Here is a video of scientist James Tour talking about the status of the origin of life research.
    Tour has been widely criticized across the scientific community for his rather blatant dishonesty in that video. In it Tour attacked an article by OOL researcher Dr. Jack Szostak which appeared in Nature. The article was a very simplified layman's overview of OOL research and presented some hypothetical scenarios for abiogenesis. Tour claimed the article was peer-reviewed scientific research and called Szostak a liar for (among other things) the simplified block diagrams the article contained.

    Here is a good overview of the many lies Tour told.

    James Tour's Lies about Szostak

    Since the video came out both Tour and DI have issued apologies to Dr. Szostak but the hypocritical DI kept the video up with its many falsehoods and no apology in the comments.

  6. Amen Roy amen'd this post.
  7. #6
    tWebber TheLurch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Faith
    MYOB
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,332
    Amen (Given)
    87
    Amen (Received)
    521
    I'm a bit confused. In the other thread, you claim to have posted this in response to my saying that i'd never seen any evidence for a designer. Yet this video is by someone who explicitly says intelligent design can't be evaluated scientifically, and the video seems to be a long list of things one individual considers unsolved hurdles for the origin of life.

    Is this a tacit admission that there is no evidence for intelligent design, or is there something here i'm missing?
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

  8. #7
    tWebber HMS_Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Thinking
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,075
    Amen (Given)
    53
    Amen (Received)
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    I'm a bit confused. In the other thread, you claim to have posted this in response to my saying that i'd never seen any evidence for a designer. Yet this video is by someone who explicitly says intelligent design can't be evaluated scientifically, and the video seems to be a long list of things one individual considers unsolved hurdles for the origin of life.

    Is this a tacit admission that there is no evidence for intelligent design, or is there something here i'm missing?
    It's from "Dory" Merrill. Don't expect any logic, reason, or coherence in his arguments.

  9. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
  10. #8
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,187
    Amen (Given)
    379
    Amen (Received)
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    Here is a good overview of the many lies Tour told.

    James Tour's Lies about Szostak
    And here is a reply to Hurd's attack. But let's not argue by link? Have you watched the video? And do you have comments on it?

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  11. #9
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,187
    Amen (Given)
    379
    Amen (Received)
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    I'm a bit confused. In the other thread, you claim to have posted this in response to my saying that i'd never seen any evidence for a designer. Yet this video is by someone who explicitly says intelligent design can't be evaluated scientifically, and the video seems to be a long list of things one individual considers unsolved hurdles for the origin of life.

    Is this a tacit admission that there is no evidence for intelligent design, or is there something here i'm missing?
    No, this is a thread on the status of origin-of-life research, and I'll let people draw their own conclusions.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  12. #10
    tWebber Duragizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Betwixt Postmodernism & Transmodernism
    Faith
    Christian Omnist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    253
    Amen (Given)
    864
    Amen (Received)
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    No, this is a thread on the status of origin-of-life research, and I'll let people draw their own conclusions.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    Weren't any of your 1001 previous threads sufficient?
    Existence is the convergence of opposites — of pleasure and pain, beauty and ugliness, evolution and stagnation, meaning and meaninglessness, perfection and deficiency, knowledge and ignorance, love and apathy, life and death, good and evil, order and chaos, God and oblivion. It is something to worship and scorn, celebrate and lament, embrace and reject, yield to and overcome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •