Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bullying is OK

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Sounds like the US. As one teacher once told me, the only two ways to lose your job are to do something inappropriate with a kid or do something inappropriate with money.
    Yes.

The article from the OP has already disappeared from the Education Headlines in NZ as we're about to have a MASSIVE teachers strike. Apart from teachers at Private Schools, teachers salaries in NZ are negotiated at a national level with the government. You are paid in years of experience + a modifier if you have post grad qualification, so a teacher with 5 years exp and a BSce will earn the same working out in the wop-wops as a teacher with 5 years exp and a Bsce working at Auckland Grammar. Which is great for the teacher out in the wop-wops, not so great for the teacher who has to live in one of the most expensive cities for housing in the world.

And the other big article in the education from is this one A senior female teacher suspended from Marlborough Boys' College is under investigation over alleged sexual relationships with multiple students over several years.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Yes.

The article from the OP has already disappeared from the Education Headlines in NZ as we're about to have a MASSIVE teachers strike. Apart from teachers at Private Schools, teachers salaries in NZ are negotiated at a national level with the government. You are paid in years of experience + a modifier if you have post grad qualification, so a teacher with 5 years exp and a BSce will earn the same working out in the wop-wops as a teacher with 5 years exp and a Bsce working at Auckland Grammar. Which is great for the teacher out in the wop-wops, not so great for the teacher who has to live in one of the most expensive cities for housing in the world.
    Wop-wops? Amazing ... here it's "Woop-woop" where the term is used. The argument that the inconvenience of living in the Never-never balances the expense of living in more convenient environs does have some merit, methinks.

If it follows the usual pattern, there will be a perfectly valid and acceptable excuse for her actions. (though it is likely she won't be allowed to teach again, if found guilty)
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Sounds like the US. As one teacher once told me, the only two ways to lose your job are to do something inappropriate with a kid or do something inappropriate with money.
    Only if they have tenure. At my sister-in-law's elementary school in Tennessee, they brought in a new principal who basically fired all of the teachers without tenure that she didn't like (did not renew their contracts for the next year) and brought in a bunch of her friends. My sister-in-law has tenure so she could only transfer her to another school. It is a complete hatchet job set in play by the school board.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Only if they have tenure. At my sister-in-law's elementary school in Tennessee, they brought in a new principal who basically fired all of the teachers without tenure that she didn't like (did not renew their contracts for the next year) and brought in a bunch of her friends. My sister-in-law has tenure so she could only transfer her to another school. It is a complete hatchet job set in play by the school board.
    Nasty wide-open door for nepotism. And potential for a school full of brain-washing extremists of any stamp, political or religious.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Nasty wide-open door for nepotism. And potential for a school full of brain-washing extremists of any stamp, political or religious.
    Yep. Which is exactly what is happening at my SIL's school. They don't like that many of the teachers there are not toeing the political line of the liberal school board, so they sent in this new principal as a hatchet woman to clean out the "resistance"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yep. Which is exactly what is happening at my SIL's school. They don't like that many of the teachers there are not toeing the political line of the liberal school board, so they sent in this new principal as a hatchet woman to clean out the "resistance"
    I think UNIONS are one of the worst things that have happened for education - there is no such powerful agency to protect the students.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

7. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think UNIONS are one of the worst things that have happened for education - there is no such powerful agency to protect the students.
    I agree, and I'm saying that as somebody who is generally pro-union. There has to be a middle ground that gives due process for teachers who are fired unfairly without going so far out of the way to protect the bad apples, and in any profession that has so many employees, there are going to be some bad apples. This is one profession where you really have to get rid of them.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's a good point. I wonder how the school board is ramming these dismissals through without the Union getting involved? I need to ask my SIL.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Unscrupulous employers lead to the need for exploited employees to form unions - which is why Wesley founded the first union in England.
    Unfortunately, unscrupulous people can wind up as "leaders" of union movements and the outcomes are often disastrous.
    But - tar-brushing unions is much the same processing as tar-brushing priests as sex offenders, and with just as much validity.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    At my last workplace, one of my co-workers got his job back after getting caught driving a mail truck under the influence. That's unacceptable.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger