Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

ScoMo wins Aussie Election!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScoMo wins Aussie Election!

Australia again proved that poll's aren't always that good.

Polls, and the Media have been predicting that Bill Shorten's Labor party would win the Federal election held this weekend. Bill Shorten was so Confident that he would defeat Scott Morrison's Coalition that back in February he wrote an open letter asking ScoMo for a "smooth transition of power"

Instead in what's seen as a major upset, and being described be the media as a "miracle", the conservative Pentecostal Christian Scott Morrison has won the election and Bill Shorten has resigned from leadership of the Labor Party.

An australian bookie was so confident of a Labor win that they paid out punters early costing them AU$1.3m.

ANd to prove that not just American celebs throw their toys out the cot when the left lose an election ‘Australians are dumb’: Celebs’ fury at Scott Morrison federal election win
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Poor Tassy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Poor Tassy.
      He's gonna need a safe place.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Michael Mann is rather upset about ScoMo's win

https://thinkprogress.org/we-have-lo...t-92008fabb597
        Source: thinkprogress

“We have lost Australia for now,” warned Penn State climatologist Michael Mann in an email. “A coalition of a small number of bad actors now threaten the survivability of our species,” he said.
        the fossil fueled Murdoch media empire, which saturated the country with dishonest right-wing campaign propaganda working with a few petrostates including Saudi Arabia, Russia, Trump’s America, and now Australia.

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Poor Tassy.
          I see Putin's hand in this!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            I see Putin's hand in this!
            It's the only explanation.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As one of the coalition front benchers (holding back the laughter) observed: Labor lost the election it couldn't lose, or putting it in terms more often used "Labor snatched defeat from the jaws of victory."
              Nation-wide there was a slight swing toward Labor (zero point something or other), but nowhere near enough to tip the scales.
              Too much trying to pander to every ism going. Too much divisive propaganda.

Australia elected a government that nobody (hyperbole) wanted. Results for the senate should prove interesting - in circumstances like these, votes for senators can go anywhere.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

They need to hire a special investigator to make sure there wasn't any collusion!

Comment

What distinctive issues are big in Australia right now (besides "the economy")?
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

For the most part, people are wondering how to exercise some sort of control over the government.
                    There is a tax component that is supposed to be funding for retirement payments - Conservative government in the 1980s emptied its coffers into general revenue and spent it. Successive governments since have not fixed the problem (despite loud squawks by the Labor party about how wrong it all was when it was done). Pensions now are an unfunded liability. Government sell offs of its assets - which were promised to produce increased quality of service at a lower price ... no-one (except our beloved pollies) was surprised then prices sky-rocketed and service quality plummeted.
                    Environmental issues - (legitimate) being ignored, and (illegitimate) getting lots of funding.
                    Foreign ownership.

That's about it.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The difference in attitude between politicians of the American left and the Australian is under-scored in this:
                      Labor Candidate, Joe Szakacs, tweeted "The entirety of half the population that voted Liberal (conservative) are not the racist, uneducated, flat earthers you pontificate about. The job is of those with political beliefs is ... not to shout at them (opponents) from the sidelines.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        The difference in attitude between politicians of the American left and the Australian is under-scored in this:
                        Labor Candidate, Joe Szakacs, tweeted "The entirety of half the population that voted Liberal (conservative) are not the racist, uneducated, flat earthers you pontificate about. The job is of those with political beliefs is ... not to shout at them (opponents) from the sidelines.
                        are you saying the Liberals are the Conservatives in Aussie?

Comment

Correct. I don't know the history for the choice of name. Actually it is a coalition these days - Liberal + Country + National parties.

A Liberal Party personage spoke of Bob Hawke, a former much loved Labor Prime Minister after his death this week (approvingly) as "a man with a left wing heart and a right wing brain" .
                          Left wing personalities were furious.
                          Me - never did like the PM in question - but that comment made me reevaluate, and I consider it valid, which has made me change my opinion.
                          There was a (not great) song written about him just after Labor was first elected under his leadership - not brilliant but
                          Bob Hawke Drinking song
                          The scratchy voice talking is a reasonably close copy of Bob Hawke's way of speaking.
                          Note: Caucus is the back-room decision making group for Labor. "Remove the caucus" is pretty much what Hawky did.
                          Last edited by tabibito; 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Correct. I don't know the history for the choice of name. Actually it is a coalition these days - Liberal + Country + National parties.

A Liberal Party personage spoke of Bob Hawke, a former much loved Labor Prime Minister after his death this week (approvingly) as "a man with a left wing heart and a right wing brain" .
                            Left wing personalities were furious.
                            Me - never did like the PM in question - but that comment made me reevaluate, and I consider it valid, which has made me change my opinion.
                            There was a (not great) song written about him just after Labor was first elected under his leadership - not brilliant but
                            Bob Hawke Drinking song
                            The scratchy voice talking is a reasonably close copy of Bob Hawke's way of speaking.
                            Note: Caucus is the back-room decision making group for Labor. "Remove the caucus" is pretty much what Hawky did.
                            OK Aussie politics is officially way to confusing for me and I hereby will ignore it.

Comment

The differences between cultures is a source of some bemusement, but I'm guessing it is largely due to the way media networks deal with news.

Labor pretty much torpedoed itself by endorsing the cackleberry* kid after he egged a rather noisome right winger.

Feminism got off to a reasonably good start in Japan, but torpedoed itself within five years. All the anti-male rhetoric had Japanese women saying "what did you say about my husband/brother/son/boyfriend?" And then the women found other things to be interested in - though still pressing for equal rights.

*obsolete slang resurrected: cackleberry = (cackle from the sound of hens) egg.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment