Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: ScoMo wins Aussie Election!

  1. #11
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,797
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    798
    The difference in attitude between politicians of the American left and the Australian is under-scored in this:
    Labor Candidate, Joe Szakacs, tweeted "The entirety of half the population that voted Liberal (conservative) are not the racist, uneducated, flat earthers you pontificate about. The job is of those with political beliefs is ... not to shout at them (opponents) from the sidelines.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

  2. #12
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,105
    Amen (Given)
    4618
    Amen (Received)
    20939
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    The difference in attitude between politicians of the American left and the Australian is under-scored in this:
    Labor Candidate, Joe Szakacs, tweeted "The entirety of half the population that voted Liberal (conservative) are not the racist, uneducated, flat earthers you pontificate about. The job is of those with political beliefs is ... not to shout at them (opponents) from the sidelines.
    are you saying the Liberals are the Conservatives in Aussie?

  3. #13
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,797
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    798
    Correct. I don't know the history for the choice of name. Actually it is a coalition these days - Liberal + Country + National parties.

    A Liberal Party personage spoke of Bob Hawke, a former much loved Labor Prime Minister after his death this week (approvingly) as "a man with a left wing heart and a right wing brain" .
    Left wing personalities were furious.
    Me - never did like the PM in question - but that comment made me reevaluate, and I consider it valid, which has made me change my opinion.
    There was a (not great) song written about him just after Labor was first elected under his leadership - not brilliant but
    Bob Hawke Drinking song
    The scratchy voice talking is a reasonably close copy of Bob Hawke's way of speaking.
    Note: Caucus is the back-room decision making group for Labor. "Remove the caucus" is pretty much what Hawky did.
    Last edited by tabibito; 05-21-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

  4. #14
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,105
    Amen (Given)
    4618
    Amen (Received)
    20939
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Correct. I don't know the history for the choice of name. Actually it is a coalition these days - Liberal + Country + National parties.

    A Liberal Party personage spoke of Bob Hawke, a former much loved Labor Prime Minister after his death this week (approvingly) as "a man with a left wing heart and a right wing brain" .
    Left wing personalities were furious.
    Me - never did like the PM in question - but that comment made me reevaluate, and I consider it valid, which has made me change my opinion.
    There was a (not great) song written about him just after Labor was first elected under his leadership - not brilliant but
    Bob Hawke Drinking song
    The scratchy voice talking is a reasonably close copy of Bob Hawke's way of speaking.
    Note: Caucus is the back-room decision making group for Labor. "Remove the caucus" is pretty much what Hawky did.
    OK Aussie politics is officially way to confusing for me and I hereby will ignore it.

  5. #15
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,797
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    798
    The differences between cultures is a source of some bemusement, but I'm guessing it is largely due to the way media networks deal with news.

    Labor pretty much torpedoed itself by endorsing the cackleberry* kid after he egged a rather noisome right winger.

    Feminism got off to a reasonably good start in Japan, but torpedoed itself within five years. All the anti-male rhetoric had Japanese women saying "what did you say about my husband/brother/son/boyfriend?" And then the women found other things to be interested in - though still pressing for equal rights.

    *obsolete slang resurrected: cackleberry = (cackle from the sound of hens) egg.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

  6. #16
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,085
    Amen (Given)
    2512
    Amen (Received)
    2933
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Correct. I don't know the history for the choice of name. Actually it is a coalition these days - Liberal + Country + National parties.

    A Liberal Party personage spoke of Bob Hawke, a former much loved Labor Prime Minister after his death this week (approvingly) as "a man with a left wing heart and a right wing brain" .
    Left wing personalities were furious.
    Me - never did like the PM in question - but that comment made me reevaluate, and I consider it valid, which has made me change my opinion.
    There was a (not great) song written about him just after Labor was first elected under his leadership - not brilliant but
    Bob Hawke Drinking song
    The scratchy voice talking is a reasonably close copy of Bob Hawke's way of speaking.
    Note: Caucus is the back-room decision making group for Labor. "Remove the caucus" is pretty much what Hawky did.
    To help the others understand Bob Hawke, aside from being the PM, on of the things he was most famous for was being able to scull a pint of beer in one go, it made him very popular with the average voter, seeing him as one of them.

    This story happened when Hawke was in his 80's
    https://www.news.com.au/national/lit...c1c8f45abc7fdd
    Source: news.com.au

    The pair were in Melbourne for the Australian American Leadership Dialogue, which brings together leaders from different sectors from both countries to improve the Australian-American bilateral relationship.
    “We took the Americans along to the MCG. There were Congressmen there, a whole bunch of senior Americans,” Mr Cassidy said.
    “On the way out, we’re walking through the car park and they had the buses lined up to take everybody back to the Hyatt Hotel.

    “And (Mr Hawke) said to me, ‘Oh I hate these buses, you know? You sit there and you’ve got to wait for the last person to turn up and it takes forever’.”
    As they were waiting with the American officials to board the bus, a group of young men in a car pulled up and yelled out to the former prime minister.
    “(They) yelled out ‘Hey Hawkey! You’re a legend’,” the Insiders host said.
    “And he said, ‘If I’m such a freakin’ legend give me a lift back to the pub’.”
    The young men agreed and Mr Hawke got into their car and they drove off, leaving the American officials in shock.

    “They said ‘This cannot be happening’,” Mr Cassidy said.
    “They couldn’t believe that a former prime minister would do that.”
    When Mr Cassidy spoke to him the following day, Mr Hawke told him they were “great blokes”.
    He even spoke to their mums on the phone while they drove to the pub.

    © Copyright Original Source

    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

  7. #17
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,529
    Amen (Given)
    5481
    Amen (Received)
    5358
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    OK Aussie politics is officially way to confusing for me and I hereby will ignore it.
    That's ok, so does the rest of the world.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  8. #18
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,673
    Amen (Given)
    210
    Amen (Received)
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    are you saying the Liberals are the Conservatives in Aussie?
    I remember reading about this a while ago. Apparently the Liberal Party was in fact the liberal party when it was first created, hence its name. But due to shifts it and other parties went through since then, it's now become the conservative party despite still being called the Liberal Party.

  9. #19
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,797
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    I remember reading about this a while ago. Apparently the Liberal Party was in fact the liberal party when it was first created, hence its name. But due to shifts it and other parties went through since then, it's now become the conservative party despite still being called the Liberal Party.
    Then again - this is the land down under, so everything rightly should be upside down.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

  10. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •