Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

ScoMo wins Aussie Election!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Correct. I don't know the history for the choice of name. Actually it is a coalition these days - Liberal + Country + National parties.

A Liberal Party personage spoke of Bob Hawke, a former much loved Labor Prime Minister after his death this week (approvingly) as "a man with a left wing heart and a right wing brain" .
    Left wing personalities were furious.
    Me - never did like the PM in question - but that comment made me reevaluate, and I consider it valid, which has made me change my opinion.
    There was a (not great) song written about him just after Labor was first elected under his leadership - not brilliant but
    Bob Hawke Drinking song
    The scratchy voice talking is a reasonably close copy of Bob Hawke's way of speaking.
    Note: Caucus is the back-room decision making group for Labor. "Remove the caucus" is pretty much what Hawky did.
    To help the others understand Bob Hawke, aside from being the PM, on of the things he was most famous for was being able to scull a pint of beer in one go, it made him very popular with the average voter, seeing him as one of them.

This story happened when Hawke was in his 80's
    https://www.news.com.au/national/lit...c1c8f45abc7fdd
    Source: news.com.au

The pair were in Melbourne for the Australian American Leadership Dialogue, which brings together leaders from different sectors from both countries to improve the Australian-American bilateral relationship.
    “We took the Americans along to the MCG. There were Congressmen there, a whole bunch of senior Americans,” Mr Cassidy said.
    “On the way out, we’re walking through the car park and they had the buses lined up to take everybody back to the Hyatt Hotel.

“And (Mr Hawke) said to me, ‘Oh I hate these buses, you know? You sit there and you’ve got to wait for the last person to turn up and it takes forever’.”
    As they were waiting with the American officials to board the bus, a group of young men in a car pulled up and yelled out to the former prime minister.
    “(They) yelled out ‘Hey Hawkey! You’re a legend’,” the Insiders host said.
    “And he said, ‘If I’m such a freakin’ legend give me a lift back to the pub’.”
    The young men agreed and Mr Hawke got into their car and they drove off, leaving the American officials in shock.

“They said ‘This cannot be happening’,” Mr Cassidy said.
    “They couldn’t believe that a former prime minister would do that.”
    When Mr Cassidy spoke to him the following day, Mr Hawke told him they were “great blokes”.
    He even spoke to their mums on the phone while they drove to the pub.

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      OK Aussie politics is officially way to confusing for me and I hereby will ignore it.
      That's ok, so does the rest of the world.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        are you saying the Liberals are the Conservatives in Aussie?
        I remember reading about this a while ago. Apparently the Liberal Party was in fact the liberal party when it was first created, hence its name. But due to shifts it and other parties went through since then, it's now become the conservative party despite still being called the Liberal Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          I remember reading about this a while ago. Apparently the Liberal Party was in fact the liberal party when it was first created, hence its name. But due to shifts it and other parties went through since then, it's now become the conservative party despite still being called the Liberal Party.
          Then again - this is the land down under, so everything rightly should be upside down.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment