Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

This Billionaire Just Pledged To Pay Off Everyone's Student Loan Debt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    EXCELLENT example of addressing a problem without committing OPM!!!!
    Good on him!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      *I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a Christian, but his actions are in line with Christian Charity.
      An anonymous donation would have been closer to Christ's teaching, I think, but every indication is that this guy is doing a legitimately good thing.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        An anonymous donation would have been closer to Christ's teaching, I think, but every indication is that this guy is doing a legitimately good thing.
        Apparently, it's not his first - he has a Foundation that is quite generous.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Perhaps being public about this will spur other million/billionaires to follow suit...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Perhaps being public about this will spur other million/billionaires to follow suit...
            This is actually one of those issues on which the Bible seems to support both views: doing good in secret so that not even your left hand knows what your right is doing, and letting your good works be seen by men so that they might glorify God.

(And before any knuckleheaded skeptics pop in to yell "Contradiction!" the point of both admonitions is that we should never use good works to draw attention to ourselves; however, there are obviously times it would be impossible to do a good work without other people knowing about it, but this shouldn't paralyze us to inaction. In short, we should simply do good without fanfare, and if it happens to be noticed, point your finger to heaven and say, "To God be the glory.")
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is actually one of those issues on which the Bible seems to support both views: doing good in secret so that not even your left hand knows what your right is doing, and letting your good works be seen by men so that they might glorify God.

(And before any knuckleheaded skeptics pop in to yell "Contradiction!" the point of both admonitions is that we should never use good works to draw attention to ourselves; however, there are obviously times it would be impossible to do a good work without other people knowing about it, but this shouldn't paralyze us to inaction. In short, we should simply do good without fanfare, and if it happens to be noticed, point your finger to heaven and say, "To God be the glory.")
              Absolutely! It's all about the heart - what your motivation is. If your motivation is "hey, look at me, I'm speeerchul!", then
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

yep. God is just saying don't just do good to make yourself look good, do it to help others and glorify God. Don't be a braggart.

Comment

Elizabeth Warren is getting in on this!!!

Elizabeth Warren Surprises Grads By Announcing She Will Sharply Increase Their Taxes To Pay For Their Student Loans

Babylon Bee
                  AMHERST, MA—Speaking to the graduating class of 2019 at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Senator Elizabeth Warren proudly announced she would be sharply increasing their taxes in order to pay for their own student loans, which were inflated by government subsidies in the first place.

After an inspiring speech in which she encouraged students to let the government do everything for them instead of doing things themselves and to exploit any minority status they have, or even ones they don't have, Warren unveiled her generous offer.

"I have a special treat for you today," she said, winking. "Every student here will be heavily taxed, and then with that money, we'll forgive your student loans!"

Crickets cheered after the announcement.

"You heard me right: total loan forgiveness in exchange for crippling taxes. What can I say except, 'You're welcome!'" she said proudly as confused students murmured to one another.

At publishing time, Warren had told all the students to look under their seats for a free, authentic Indian headdress she had purchased at the Dollar Tree.

Comment

I don't have much to say about the OP, it just sounds pretty cool. I hope he follows through with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      I don't have much to say about the OP, it just sounds pretty cool. I hope he follows through with it.
                      The fact that it has, so to speak, dropped from the radar, would seem to be an indicator that this wasn't meant as some 'hey-everybody-look-at-me!' publicity stunt.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        The fact that it has, so to speak, dropped from the radar, would seem to be an indicator that this wasn't meant as some 'hey-everybody-look-at-me!' publicity stunt.
                        And, yeah, if he didn't follow through, or at least wasn't in the process, the hot wet patties of bovine plops would have already come forcefully into contact with the air circulation device.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          And, yeah, if he didn't follow through, or at least wasn't in the process, the hot wet patties of bovine plops would have already come forcefully into contact with the air circulation device.
                          Zactly

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment