Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: This Billionaire Just Pledged To Pay Off Everyone's Student Loan Debt...

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,887
    Amen (Given)
    10941
    Amen (Received)
    23653

    This Billionaire Just Pledged To Pay Off Everyone's Student Loan Debt...

    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

  2. #2
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,201
    Amen (Given)
    7765
    Amen (Received)
    7987
    How about those who paid their debt already? Or the parents who took on loans?


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  3. #3
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,887
    Amen (Given)
    10941
    Amen (Received)
    23653
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    How about those who paid their debt already? Or the parents who took on loans?
    Good questions, I'd be kinda bummed if I had managed to keep up with my debt (which I actually did) while in college, while others borrowed to the hilt.

    In fact, I worked two and three jobs while I was carrying 15 hours just to make sure I wasn't looking at a huge debt "out there" at the end.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

  4. #4
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,272
    Amen (Given)
    1742
    Amen (Received)
    1798
    Yeah, the guy who worked 3 jobs while going to school so he graduated with little or no debt has to be STEAMED right now...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  5. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,887
    Amen (Given)
    10941
    Amen (Received)
    23653
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Yeah, the guy who worked 3 jobs while going to school so he graduated with little or no debt has to be STEAMED right now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    In fact, I worked two and three jobs while I was carrying 15 hours just to make sure I wasn't looking at a huge debt "out there" at the end.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

  6. #6
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,887
    Amen (Given)
    10941
    Amen (Received)
    23653
    But it was, in fact, HIS money to do with as he wished. (Kinda reminds me of the parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard in Matthew)
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

  7. #7
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,808
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But it was, in fact, HIS money to do with as he wished. (Kinda reminds me of the parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard in Matthew)
    Snap
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

  8. #8
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,163
    Amen (Given)
    4627
    Amen (Received)
    20947
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But it was, in fact, HIS money to do with as he wished. (Kinda reminds me of the parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard in Matthew)
    that was my first reaction too!

    But this is an excellent example of the difference between Charity and Socialism. Someone voluntarily helping others out of his own means, rather than the Government taking people's money forcefully and giving it to others.

    It also puts a lie to the tale that rich people are all greedy and don't want to help others.

  9. #9
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,887
    Amen (Given)
    10941
    Amen (Received)
    23653
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    that was my first reaction too!

    But this is an excellent example of the difference between Charity and Socialism. Someone voluntarily helping others out of his own means, rather than the Government taking people's money forcefully and giving it to others.

    It also puts a lie to the tale that rich people are all greedy and don't want to help others.
    That was my point - and it's a black college where there appears (according to CNN) to be a much higher rate of student debt than among whites and Latinos. He is VOLUNTARILY addressing a problem that the leftists what to address with OPM.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

  10. #10
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,887
    Amen (Given)
    10941
    Amen (Received)
    23653
    According to Forbes, the student's don't even have to pay taxes, since the "gift" was not to them, but directly to the college or loan institutions on their behalf.

    Still searching for any word on students who had paid their debt, or were keeping up with payments during college.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •