Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The metaphysics of there being no God.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Only if you hold to coherence theory.
    Why? While truth is coherent in nature, coherence is not what makes truth truth. Truth is immutable being absolute. Truth must correspond to reality to be true. So therefore it can be argued, "something cannot bring itself into existence" is an absolute truth.

Here is a second question, If you were to name one fundamental self evident truth that all truth is to be contingent upon, what would it be?
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      Why? While truth is coherent in nature, coherence is not what makes truth truth.
      I only mention coherence theory because it's the only way I can make sense of your argument. "No God is [logically] needed" is not equivalent to "there is no God".

Here is a second question, If you were to name one fundamental self evident truth that all truth is to be contingent upon, what would it be?
      The law of identity.

Comment

I only mention coherence theory because it's the only way I can make sense of your argument. "No God is [logically] needed" is not equivalent to "there is no God".
        'There is no God,' would be a problematic argument for the negative. The need of a God would be logically more real and relevant.

The law of identity.
        The 'Law of identity' is some what circular and problematic in terms of the existence of God. I could switch the word 'Nature' and use the same argument. What argument would you propose that would refute that: 'Nature' would not fit in any such argument where one could use the word 'God.'
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          The 'Law of identity' is some what circular and problematic in terms of the existence of God. I could switch the word 'Nature' and use the same argument. What argument would you propose that would refute that: 'Nature' would not fit in any such argument where one could use the word 'God.'
          My answer to his question was in terms of truth in general, not just truths about existence. I actually think that there are more than one essential basic truths, or axioms. But to answer your question: the law of identity is an axiom, and not something to be proven.

Comment

What constitutes truth? It is reality. And it is something which cannot change.

There is a self existent existence. Existence exists. What exists constitutes truth.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Let me try again: you are positing an alternate reality in which there is no God. The question you pose is whether in that reality 'there is no God' is absurd. Let us say it is not possible to show it is absurd. What then?
              We're going to throw a huge party. So, you should probably give in or you're anti-partying. ;-)

(Really, though, it only removes the "Atheism is incoherent" type of arguments, which no one relies on. Or, they shouldn't.)

Comment

Source: The definitive proof there is no God

A definitive proof there is no god.

Such claims have been made. But fail do to the fact one cannot logically prove negative.

Now if one was to show that there is something else other than a god to account for everything, that could be such a proof.

Now on the premise that there is in fact no god. That should indeed be possible prove that there is something else other than a god, I would think.

To show this is the case, let’s look at the question, “Does God exist?”

The question presumes existence. And does not presume a god.

Existence is here. And existence is in evidence. God in the question is not. The point being existence exists without the need for any kind pf a god. Existence is the only self existence entity. And not in need of any kind of a god.

Now there not being any kind of a god. The universe exists as it is now. All the theist arguments which may convince many there is a god. Are still false, there not being any.

Furthermore can any theist show this premise that there is no god to be an absurd premise, being that there is no god?

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

[QUOTE=37818;36063]

A definitive proof there is no god.

Such claims have been made. But fail do to the fact one cannot logically prove negative.

The modern contemporary view is not an attempt to disprove god exists, but that there is no sound argument for the necessity of God(s), nor objective evidence of the existence of god(s).

A definitive proof there is no god.] Now if one was to show that there is something else other than a god to account for everything, that could be such a proof.

No, an account for a possible explanation for everything from the human perspective would not qualify for such a proof, since such a proof is impossible.

A definitive proof there is no god.] Now on the premise that there is in fact no god. That should indeed be possible prove that there is something else other than a god, I would think.

No, it is possible to demonstrate that an argument for the necessity of god(s) is possible based on Methodological Naturalism, which by its nature is neutral as to whether god(s) exist or not.

A definitive proof there is no god.] To show this is the case, let’s look at the question, “Does God exist?”

OK! Let's look, but the question 'Do god(s) necessarily exist?'

A definitive proof there is no god.] The question presumes existence. And does not presume a god.

OK. Good arguments do not presume the conclusion in the premise.

A definitive proof there is no god.] Existence is here. And existence is in evidence. God in the question is not. The point being existence exists without the need for any kind pf a god. Existence is the only self existence entity. And not in need of any kind of a god.

That is a possibility.

A definitive proof there is no god.] Now there not being any kind of a god. The universe exists as it is now. All the theist arguments which may convince many there is a god. Are still false, there not being any.

The bolded needs clarification.

A definitive proof there is no god.] Furthermore can any theist show this premise that there is no god to be an absurd premise, being that there is no god?

Again, your heading to a negative argument that there is a valid argument that there is no god(s). I prefer the question for an argument: Can one justify an argument for the necessity of the existence of god(s)?

What is the 'Source' of this argument you are citing: 'The definitive proof there is no God]A definitive proof there is no god.'
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-27-2014, 10:27 PM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    one cannot logically prove negative.
                    Not true. Mathematicians have been proving negatives since the days of Pythagoras and Euclid.

Comment