Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lightfoot makes aldermen squirm on day one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightfoot makes aldermen squirm on day one

This could get very interesting - sounds like she's taking on the Chicago Machine and its corruption.

This is as good a time as any to pick a fight with Chicago aldermen — the public thoroughly disgusted by a federal investigation that has left the City Council’s most powerful member severely wounded and threatening others.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot pushed to take full advantage Monday on her first day in office.

She started by using her inauguration speech to give the aldermen a visual demonstration that the public is on her side in her call for reform, employing the audience at the Wintrust Arena to help make them squirm.

Then she followed up by delivering on a promised executive order that is intent on limiting their coveted power known as aldermanic prerogative, a move that already has been making some of them squirm for weeks.

The question aldermen keep asking is whether what plays well for Lightfoot on day one can carry a mayor through four years in which she will need to enlist the support of 26 of these very same aldermen on some extremely tough votes regarding the city’s financial future.

I don’t know the answer, but for now, it’s good to see that our tough and principled new mayor is choosing to start off being tough and principled.

In the future, Lightfoot should find it advantageous that the City Council chamber is designed so that she will always have the aldermen in front of her where she can see them while speaking to them.

On Monday, they were arrayed on the stage behind her, and while I was stationed too far away to tell how many were staring daggers into her back, it was evident from any distance that they were losing enthusiasm for her speech the further she ventured into the topic of reform.

Oh, the aldermen dutifully stood and applauded her signature line, which answered the old “Chicago ain’t ready for reform” chestnut with: “Well, get ready … because reform is here.”
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

So what does a new lesbian mayor mean for the Jussie Smollet case? The old mayor was all for investigating the DA about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So what does a new lesbian mayor mean for the Jussie Smollet case? The old mayor was all for investigating the DA about it.
      I'm Facebook friends with somebody I knew long ago who is a black lesbian living in Chicago (for some reason, I'm still friends with them, not sure why). What she posts is interesting. She is heavily critical of Rahm Emanuel above anybody else in the world as prioritizing machine efficiency over progressive agenda. And as far as I can tell, I don't think it matters to her whether Jussie Smollett did it or not. As a queer person of color, he should get a break because other white people over the years have gotten a break.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Answering my own question:

Chicago Mayor-Elect Lori Lightfoot Confirms Jussie Smollett's Case 'Doesn't Rank as a Matter of Any Importance'

“I’m not going to comment on any pending litigation. Obviously this was a decision that was made by the current mayor, Rahm Emanuel,” Lightfoot said in a statement via ABC Chicago. “We’ve got a lot of things on our plate, a lot of pressing issues that are truly affecting people’s lives. This doesn’t rank as a matter of any importance to me.”

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/chi...mol-1834046133

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I'm Facebook friends with somebody I knew long ago who is a black lesbian living in Chicago (for some reason, I'm still friends with them, not sure why). What she posts is interesting. She is heavily critical of Rahm Emanuel above anybody else in the world as prioritizing machine efficiency over progressive agenda. And as far as I can tell, I don't think it matters to her whether Jussie Smollett did it or not. As a queer person of color, he should get a break because other white people over the years have gotten a break.
          So it's nothing to beat yourself up about?

Comment

More than one pundit has opined that Rahm Emanuel's declarations were motivated by the fact that being a lame duck he was in effect powerless and his calls impotent. IOW, he only spoke up because nobody would listen.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              More than one pundit has opined that Rahm Emanuel's declarations were motivated by the fact that being a lame duck he was in effect powerless and his calls impotent. IOW, he only spoke up because nobody would listen.
              wonder what the FBI is doing?

Comment

wonder what the FBI is doing?
                Potential federal prosecution has been the real concern for Smollet since the beginning. Any conviction in Chicago would have almost certainly resulted in a fine and probation in any case. But if he used the U.S. mail to make terroristic threats[1] ... the feds don't play.

1. It doesn't matter whether or not they were fake and directed toward himself.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This could get very interesting - sounds like she's taking on the Chicago Machine and its corruption.

This is as good a time as any to pick a fight with Chicago aldermen — the public thoroughly disgusted by a federal investigation that has left the City Council’s most powerful member severely wounded and threatening others.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot pushed to take full advantage Monday on her first day in office.

She started by using her inauguration speech to give the aldermen a visual demonstration that the public is on her side in her call for reform, employing the audience at the Wintrust Arena to help make them squirm.

Then she followed up by delivering on a promised executive order that is intent on limiting their coveted power known as aldermanic prerogative, a move that already has been making some of them squirm for weeks.

The question aldermen keep asking is whether what plays well for Lightfoot on day one can carry a mayor through four years in which she will need to enlist the support of 26 of these very same aldermen on some extremely tough votes regarding the city’s financial future.

I don’t know the answer, but for now, it’s good to see that our tough and principled new mayor is choosing to start off being tough and principled.

In the future, Lightfoot should find it advantageous that the City Council chamber is designed so that she will always have the aldermen in front of her where she can see them while speaking to them.

On Monday, they were arrayed on the stage behind her, and while I was stationed too far away to tell how many were staring daggers into her back, it was evident from any distance that they were losing enthusiasm for her speech the further she ventured into the topic of reform.

Oh, the aldermen dutifully stood and applauded her signature line, which answered the old “Chicago ain’t ready for reform” chestnut with: “Well, get ready … because reform is here.”
                  For another view, Aldermen hear from Chicago Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot's team on extent of their powers.

Comment

No. Just no.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment