Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Faith and Works: The Relationship between Faith, Works, and Salvation in the NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith and Works: The Relationship between Faith, Works, and Salvation in the NT

In this thread, I would like to enquire of participants their understanding regarding the relationship between faith and works in the New Testament. Questions such as the following may be considered:
    • How should the nature of faith be defined?
    • Does Paul contradict James on the role of faith and works in justification/salvation? (If so, how? If not, how may the two be reconciled?
    • Do you believe sola fide (faith alone) to be a doctrine that is faithful to the scriptures (or, at least, to the Pauline corpus)?
    • Are the New Testament authors non-contradictory on the relationship between faith and works? (Are attempts at harmonisation possible, improbable, or forced?)
    • On the whole, are good works in some sense necessary for salvation (particularly the attainment of final/eschatological salvation)?
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Originally posted by The Remonstrant
    How should the nature of faith be defined?
    Faith means to accept that God has given you eternal life via Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:10-11

10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. 11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

Does Paul contradict James on the role of faith and works in justification/salvation? (If so, how? If not, how may the two be reconciled?
    No, Paul is talking about how to gain eternal life. James is talking about how to use that eternal life to avoid temporal judgment, and gain blessing.

James 2:12-13

12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

James 1:25

But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Do you believe sola fide (faith alone) to be a doctrine that is faithful to the scriptures (or, at least, to the Pauline corpus)?
    Yes.

Are the New Testament authors non-contradictory on the relationship between faith and works? (Are attempts at harmonisation possible, improbable, or forced?)
    They are non-contradictory. A core teaching of the Bible is that our assurance of eternal life is supposed to inspire us to do good works. The assurance of salvation ensures that our good work will be rewarded.

Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Matthew 6:19-21

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

On the whole, are good works in some sense necessary for salvation (particularly the attainment of final/eschatological salvation)?
    No.

Comment

My go to verse on this is in Ephesians 2, and it's by Grace through Faith that we are saved. I don't think your OP addresses Grace.

We are saved by Grace through Faith, and therefore, we do works as His people. The works are not "so that" we are or will be saved, but "because of".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        My go to verse on this is in Ephesians 2, and it's by Grace through Faith that we are saved. I don't think your OP addresses Grace.

We are saved by Grace through Faith, and therefore, we do works as His people. The works are not "so that" we are or will be saved, but "because of".
        I think it's a little more complicated than that, since Eph. 2 is not all that Paul said on the topic:

Source: Phil. 2

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

© Copyright Original Source

I don't think we should hold the sources in tension, but interpret them in light of their contexts and each other. Thus, works figure somehow in our salvation, but should not be a cause for boasting.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I think it's a little more complicated than that, since Eph. 2 is not all that Paul said on the topic:
          Of course it is. I just fired off a thought on my way to Wednesday Night Service.

Source: Phil. 2

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

© Copyright Original Source

I don't think we should hold the sources in tension, but interpret them in light of their contexts and each other. Thus, works figure somehow in our salvation, but should not be a cause for boasting.
          There are those who claim that simply "accepting Jesus as Savior" is a "work".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
            I think it's a little more complicated than that, since Eph. 2 is not all that Paul said on the topic
            You haven't done anything to interpret the ambiguous verse that you recite, or to show that the "topic" in Philippians 2 is the same topic as Ephesians 2.

Comment

Do you believe sola fide (faith alone) to be a doctrine that is faithful to the scriptures (or, at least, to the Pauline corpus)?
              Romans chapter 4 teaches justification by faith alone. In this chapter, Paul uses the example of Abraham to show that we are counted righteousness when we place our faith in Christ. Paul quotes Genesis 15:6 which teaches that Abraham was counted as righteous as soon as he believed God.

Romans 4:5 teaches that God justifies the ungodly. "Justify" means "declare righteous." God declares ungodly people to be righteous. How can God do that? Christ's atonement paid sin's penalty and satisfied God's justice. Christ's removed our guilt. Also, God imputes Christ's righteousness to us.

Comment

How should the nature of faith be defined?
                Almost every occurrence of the noun "faith" (πιστις and its cognates) in the LXX translates Hebrew words for "loyalty," "trustworthiness," "fidelity" with some allowance for "dedication." The noun almost never translates "belief." Specifically and significantly, (Hab 2:4) "the righteous shall live by faith" translates "emunah" (fidelity) - so any claim that Paul says "the righteous shall live by belief" is scuttled. Further to that Hab 2:4 as translated into English shows ""the righteous shall live by his faith" says the Lord" (exact wording does vary). The Septuagint shows, ""the righteous shall live by my faith," says the Lord." The LXX translation has a body of support in the New Testament.

Does Paul contradict James on the role of faith and works in justification/salvation? (If so, how? If not, how may the two be reconciled?
                No contradiction. Paul promotes works of righteousness as necessary, while at the same time declaring works of law futile in the context of salvation.

Sola Fide, that is; "faith alone", is explicitly denied by James. Nowhere does Paul ever promote faith as the sole requirement for salvation. It isn't even necessary to show that "faith" does not mean "belief:" Scripture shows that faith in Christ is one of the requirements of righteousness, and shows that righteousness is no more than a component in securing salvation. However, if we are to claim that "faith" is good enough by itself, it becomes a matter of showing that faith can exist where the object of faith, Christ Jesus, is disbelieved. If faith can't exist where the object of faith is disbelieved, it becomes a matter of showing that Jesus did not claim that works play no part in salvation.

Are the New Testament authors non-contradictory on the relationship between faith and works? (Are attempts at harmonisation possible, improbable, or forced?)
                Harmonisation is a simple matter, once it is realised that Paul makes a distinction between works of the law and works of righteousness.

On the whole, are good works in some sense necessary for salvation (particularly the attainment of final/eschatological salvation)?
                Note the parables of the wedding feast, where the guest was not wearing the proper garb - I believe that is a link to "robes washed white"; the parable of the talents, where the one who had the one talent did not put it to work to provide an increase. Then there are the comments about white-washed tombs, and the cleaning of the outsides of cups. Compare those records with the claim that God does no more than provide a mantle of righteousness over a believer, without working to cleanse the believer of sin. A lack of good works demonstrates a lack of love regardless of whether faith exists, and the admonitions to guard one's own life and doctrine are also relevant.
                Last edited by tabibito; 05-23-2019, 03:14 AM.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

that's my view.

The example I was told once was: A man adopted a son. The son cuts the grass and does various chores because the father asks him to. He does it out of love, respect and gratitude, not to earn or keep his place as the man's son. That relationship is finalized. It can't be undone. Now the son could be rebellious and refuse to cut the grass or do any chores, but that doesn't make him not a son, it just means his relationship with his father is strained.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    that's my view.

The example I was told once was: A man adopted a son. The son cuts the grass and does various chores because the father asks him to. He does it out of love, respect and gratitude, not to earn or keep his place as the man's son. That relationship is finalized. It can't be undone. Now the son could be rebellious and refuse to cut the grass or do any chores, but that doesn't make him not a son, it just means his relationship with his father is strained.
                    That's pretty good. I like to add that my "relationship" doesn't change, in that he's still my father, but the "fellowship" is strained.

Comment

Ephesians 2 says that we are saved by grace. Faith is not active in salvation, it is no more than a conduit. in so far as the limits of the relevant statements in Ephesians are concerned.)
                      Ephesians 2:4 by grace you are (in a state of) having been saved.
                      Ephesians 2:8 by grace you are (in a state of) having been saved, through faith.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        Ephesians 2 says that we are saved by grace. Faith is not active in salvation, it is no more than a conduit. in so far as the limits of the relevant statements in Ephesians are concerned.)
                        Ephesians 2:4 by grace you are (in a state of) having been saved.
                        Ephesians 2:8 by grace you are (in a state of) having been saved, through faith.
                        I would disagree, however, that faith is "no more than a conduit".
                        John 3:36, “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”
                        How do you "believe in the Son" without faith?

Comment

I would disagree, however, that faith is "no more than a conduit".
                          John 3:36, “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”
                          It was a late addition, which may have been made after you began to respond, but I did specify "insofar as the limits of the relevant statements in Ephesians are concerned."
                          How do you "believe in the Son" without faith?
                          How do you believe in the Son without believing what he taught? And could it be that John 3:36 underscores that by stating that the disobedient will not see life?
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It's pretty simple. When we marry our spouse, do we not naturally want to care for them and do things for them?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              It's pretty simple. When we marry our spouse, do we not naturally want to care for them and do things for them?
                              When somebody tells me they can be a Christian without going to Church, I'll say, "yeah, and you can marry a wife and never live with her".

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X