Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Press Freedom Under Attack

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Press Freedom Under Attack

We already know that Trump thinks that press coverage unfavorable to him is the enemy of the people. Now we find that the US wants to charge Assange with espionage for publishing secret material. Consequently, the freedom of the press is at serious risk.

The Espionage Act was a panic measure enacted by Congress to clamp down on dissent or “sedition” when the US entered the First World War in 1917. In the subsequent 102 years it has never been used to prosecute a media organisation for publishing or disseminating unlawfully disclosed classified information. Nobody prosecuted under the act is permitted to offer a public interest defence.
    Whatever Assange got up to in 2010-11, it was not espionage. Nor is he a US citizen. The criminal acts this Australian maverick allegedly committed all happened outside the US. As Joel Simon, director of the Committee to Protect Journalists, has observed: “Under this rubric, anyone anywhere in the world who publishes information that the US government deems to be classified could be prosecuted for espionage.”

Imagine the precedent if the Trump administration gets away with this. Israel and India have extensive nuclear weapons programmes – each protected by ferocious domestic official secrets acts. Think of the outcry if the Netanyahu or Modi governments attempted to extradite a British or US journalist to face life in jail for writing true things about their nuclear arsenals.
    Whenever you read about journalists harming national security, massive alarm bells should start ringing. Think no further than Richard Nixon trying to prosecute the Pentagon Papers whistleblower, Daniel Ellsberg, for harming national security in 1971. Ellsberg, an intelligence analyst, found that the Vietnam war had been prosecuted on the basis of a web of lies and thought the public deserved to know. To Nixon, Ellsberg’s commitment to the truth was treason. He reached for the Espionage Act.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...eedom-of-press

Americans, I implore you, don’t let the fascists take those freedoms away without a fight.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 05-26-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Assange is no more a "journalist" than Wikileaks is "the press" - that is to say, he's not one. He is nothing more than a purveyor of stolen information.

The Guardian should perhaps stick to areas where it is informed rather than attempting to interpret the internal affairs of foreign nations.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Assange is no more a "journalist" than Wikileaks is "the press" - that is to say, he's not one. He is nothing more than a purveyor of stolen information.

The Guardian should perhaps stick to areas where it is informed rather than attempting to interpret the internal affairs of foreign nations.
    With any luck, the goodies will be able to keep Assange away from people like you.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I get confused, is The Guardian the tabloid that had the headline "Woman Gives Birth in Choir - Baby Comes Out Singing Amazing Grace"?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    With any luck, the goodies will be able to keep Assange away from people like you.
    With any luck Assange will soon be in a Swedish jail for those rape charges
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

6. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Democrats hated Assange when he was revealing their dirty secrets during the election. Now they suddenly love him because... Trump.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Democrats hated Assange when he was revealing their dirty secrets during the election. Now they suddenly love him because... Trump.
    If Trump had announced that they wouldn't seek his extradition you can bet your bottom dollar the very same people now complaining that the government wants to prosecute him would be screaming that Trump has given amnesty to a terrorist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That’s not it. Either US Gov is ensuring that Assange will not be extradited or they want to go after journalists more generally. Why? Because fascists!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    With any luck Assange will soon be in a Swedish jail for those rape charges
    "rape" charges.

Two women who decided to have sex with Assange because he was a "personage," one of them bragging about it online afterwards, then decide that Assange used his notoriety as a lure to bed them, which amounts under Swedish law to "rape." If you have notoriety, when in Sweden, don't take a woman up on her offer, because that would be raping her.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    "rape" charges.

Two women who decided to have sex with Assange because he was a "personage," one of them bragging about it online afterwards, then decide that Assange used his notoriety as a lure to bed them, which amounts under Swedish law to "rape." If you have notoriety, when in Sweden, don't take a woman up on her offer, because that would be raping her.
    No, the charge was because the woman agreed to only have sex if a condom was used.
    Assange is accused of tearing a condom and then initiating unprotected sex with one of the woman while she was still asleep. Under Swedish law that is rape as consent was not given for unprotected sex.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III