Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Press Freedom Under Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    The press stopped being free years ago.
    I'm not sure it ever was.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      The press stopped being free years ago.
      As I've noted before, if you look at the history of the modern news industry, news organizations were almost always started by rich men who wanted to ensure that the news was reported the way they wanted it reported. In Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs, he refers to the conduct of the press during the Civil War saying, "Correspondents of the press were ever on hand to hear every word dropped, and were not always disposed to report correctly what did not confirm their preconceived notions, either about the conduct of the war or the individuals concerned in it."
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        As I've noted before, if you look at the history of the modern news industry, news organizations were almost always started by rich men who wanted to ensure that the news was reported the way they wanted it reported. In Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs, he refers to the conduct of the press during the Civil War saying, "Correspondents of the press were ever on hand to hear every word dropped, and were not always disposed to report correctly what did not confirm their preconceived notions, either about the conduct of the war or the individuals concerned in it."
        My first thought was Joseph Smith who, when somebody wanted to print negative information about him, ordered the destruction the press.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          They were largely the "voice" of various political parties and occasionally special interest groups

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Anyone else thinking about C. S Lewis Screwtape Letters, where the demon Uncle Screwtape writes gloriously about the use of newspapers and coloured magazines to keep humans distracted and disorganised?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Anyone else thinking about C. S Lewis Screwtape Letters, where the demon Uncle Screwtape writes gloriously about the use of newspapers and coloured magazines to keep humans distracted and disorganised?
              If Lewis wrote it 20 years later he would've said the same about TV.

Comment

assange_journalism.jpg
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment