Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Innocent Children Suffer

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    156
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    26

    Innocent Children Suffer

    There is a non-Christian that I talked with recently and he said that he does not see a good reason for why God would allow innocent children to receive the consequences of living in a sin-cursed world. The examples he gave were the unborn being aborted, infants being born with a disease, and so on. How would you respond to this? Would it be correct to say that no one is innocent from God's perspective because everyone inherits a sinful nature and a guilty standing from Adam?

  2. #2
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,741
    Amen (Given)
    1500
    Amen (Received)
    1824
    I would suggest looking into C.S Lewis's The Problem of Pain. I would also point out that God takes no pleasure in suffering or injustice.

  3. #3
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,806
    Amen (Given)
    5228
    Amen (Received)
    22936
    In the case of abortion, it isn't God causing the suffering, it's people.

    But not only do we have sin natures, but all of creation has fallen. Which is why there is disease, birth defects and all that. Again, our fault, not God's.

  4. #4
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,330
    Amen (Given)
    448
    Amen (Received)
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Would it be correct to say that no one is innocent from God's perspective because everyone inherits a sinful nature and a guilty standing from Adam?
    Yes, that is what I would say.

    "There is no one righteous, not even one;
    there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
    All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good,
    not even one. (Rom. 3:1012)

    But we must not picture God as being apart from suffering, he showed on the cross that he bears sin and suffering.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  5. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  6. #5
    tWebber Christianbookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,547
    Amen (Given)
    5650
    Amen (Received)
    1832
    For those who will spend eternity with God, this momentary suffering will fade away. There's a reason Paul compared suffering to childbirth. Temporary pain that turns into joy. Oh, and Adam and Eve doomed themselves and all of humanity to the school of hard knocks. Experiential knowledge of evil is not a fun thing. On a less serious note, the serpent tempting Eve reminds me of a drug psa. Where the drug dealer tells the kids that the authority figures are just keeping something fun away from them to be mean.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

  7. #6
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,121
    Amen (Given)
    8132
    Amen (Received)
    8547
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    For those who will spend eternity with God, this momentary suffering will fade away.
    And for many, this is the only thing getting them through the day...


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  8. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    156
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    In the case of abortion, it isn't God causing the suffering, it's people.

    But not only do we have sin natures, but all of creation has fallen. Which is why there is disease, birth defects and all that. Again, our fault, not God's.
    The person I've been talking to is asking why people receive the consequences of a fallen creation.
    Last edited by Hornet; 05-30-2019 at 09:35 AM.

  9. #8
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,121
    Amen (Given)
    8132
    Amen (Received)
    8547
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    The person I've been talking to is asking why God allows people to cause others to suffer.
    Any freedom granted comes with the ability to abuse it.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  10. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
  11. #9
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,628
    Amen (Given)
    7083
    Amen (Received)
    6750
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    In the case of abortion, it isn't God causing the suffering, it's people.

    But not only do we have sin natures, but all of creation has fallen. Which is why there is disease, birth defects and all that. Again, our fault, not God's.
    Also, there's a spiritual adversary, an author of confusion, out there who kills, steals, and destroys, and would like nothing more than to distract us, and cause us to live with the concerns of this world heaped on our shoulders rather than see us in right relationship with our creator.

  12. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    156
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Yes, that is what I would say.

    "There is no one righteous, not even one;
    there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
    All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good,
    not even one. (Rom. 3:1012)

    But we must not picture God as being apart from suffering, he showed on the cross that he bears sin and suffering.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    According to Romans 3, people are not innocent before God. I agree. I think it is important to say that on the cross, Christ bore our sin and suffering.

  13. Amen lee_merrill, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •