Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The One Year Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The One Year Chip

Congratulations to my beautiful Princess!

Link

----

What does it take to overcome? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Last night was a momentous night for my wife. She and I are part of Celebrate Recovery and my wife has a battle against self-harm. This is where you take a blade of some kind such as a pair of scissors. You then cut yourself. Why would anyone do that? When I first heard about it, it made no sense, but for people like this, it becomes a way of releasing endorphins and short circuits any anxieties that they have. Of course, there are dangers. Those in the medical profession could say more, but one I have frequently been told about is staph infections.
    Allie has been in a battle with this and while many times she came close to the one year mark, she always fell short somewhere along the way and had to start all over again. As the time drew closer to this, she got more and more nervous afraid she was going to blow it. Fortunately, she did no such thing.

Yesterday, we went to see a friend of ours from our Protestant Church who is a cosmetologist. She had agreed to help Allie with her make-up for the big presentation last night. Allie said later it was one of the rare nights in her life that she felt beautiful. She took a picture of herself on the way to the event.

Allie Made Up.jpg

We got there and I opened the door to the church telling everyone to greet Miss America. So many people were amazed with how she looked. For me, I told her regularly to remember there was a man who said she was beautiful all along and that was without make-up.

In the end, Allie did get her one year chip. She had been of the mindset many times that she wouldn't make it. At one point, she was really tempted and said, "Who cares about a stupid chip?" At times last night, I told her, "Well, honey, isn't it just a stupid chip?" She knew what I was talking about and had to concede it wasn't.

Some of you might be thinking it is just a stupid chip. It's not. It's a symbol. It's a token of a victory that one has had over temptation and sin. Let's be clear also that definitely addictions come from sin and cutting is such a case. So let's see that one year chip.

One Year Chip.jpg

Her Dad also came for the event.

Allie and Mike.jpg

And here she is again with her chip.

Allie and her chip.jpg

If there's any great lesson I told Allie to get from this, it's one we all need to hear. Tell that inner voice to shut up. We all know that voice. It's the voice that condemns us and tells us to give up and that we're not good enough and that we'll never make it or whatever it says for you. Last night, Allie showed that inner voice that it was wrong. Hopefully, it will happen consistently.

And that can happen for you as well. If you are struggling with an addiction of some kind, please go to Celebrate Recovery and enroll there. If you are struggling with cutting, definitely go and do that. You are loved just as you are by God, and Allie would tell you it was only through reliance on God that she got this chip.

Princess. Please also know that your husband is super proud of you and remember that he has also always said you're beautiful even before the make-up. Your true beauty comes from within and it makes your exterior so much more amazing. You are the woman who captivates me to this day still and I love you greatly.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Congratulations to her!

My prodigal daughter will be getting her one year in about a month.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Congratulations to her!

And in time you'll cease thinking of her as the prodigal daughter

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So proud of Allie!
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And in time you'll cease thinking of her as the prodigal daughter
            Hmmmm... I don't necessarily think of that as a negative thing, because she had been "out there" for over 20 years, and she's BACK! But, yeah.....
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hmmmm... I don't necessarily think of that as a negative thing, because she had been "out there" for over 20 years, and she's BACK! But, yeah.....
              When I posted it I realized that it sounded like criticism but couldn't figure out how to reword it so it is clear that was not what I intended. I guess what I mean that as she continues to grow in her faith through words and deeds, that will become how you view her not how she turned herself around.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                When I posted it I realized that it sounded like criticism but couldn't figure out how to reword it so it is clear that was not what I intended. I guess what I mean that as she continues to grow in her with that will become how you view her not how she turned herself around.
                Yessir, I figured it out -- it just made me stop and think. Sometimes, I stop to think, and forget to start again.

Comment

Allie is doing great. Congratulations to her!

Comment

Celebrate Recovery is an EXCELLENT program, and from everything I see, they have an excellent support structure!

Comment

Congratulations to her!

Wow, did I ever get THAT wrong! Mrs CP reminded me this was after my birthday last year --- so..... it will be one year 'end of August'. I really suck at date math!

But she's doing GREAT and ON TRACK!!!!

Comment

Celebrate Recovery is an EXCELLENT program, and from everything I see, they have an excellent support structure!
                        That is pretty much what I've heard

Congrats Allie

Comment