Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MLK: Another Cosby Moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLK: Another Cosby Moment?

Yes, I know the article I'm citing is from PJ Media, and somebody will squawk about that. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm even labeled a racist (again) for even bringing this up.

There appears to be, however, a storm on the horizon (there have already been some dark clouds) with regards to MLK's legacy.

If allegations prove even close to correct, will schools have to change their names? What town in the south does NOT have a road or highway named "Martin Luther King Expressway" or whatever. Will statues come down?

Let's see if we can discuss this respectfully.

No Heroes Left: The MLK Revelations

To me, this is as sad as hearing the revelations about my favorite childhood hero - Bill Cosby, along with his wonderful character Dr. Heathcliff "Cliff" Huxtable.

What are we to make of the disturbing news about Martin Luther King? Should we change the name on every school, park, and boulevard across the nation named after him as if he were the inverse of Robert E. Lee or Jefferson Davis? There must be tens of thousands of them.

He was one of the indisputable heroes of American history, the great civil rights leader who inspired our country with his non-violent protests and who so memorably told us: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Amen and amen.

How different is that from today's civil rights movement (lower case deliberate) where reactionary identity politics rules the day. What was once an idealistic crusade for equality and integration is now a movement for segregation with Harvard (among many colleges) holding separate graduation celebrations for African Americans. Go figure. The crypto-fascist concept of intersectionality dominating our campuses deliberately pits racial, religious and age groups against each other in a victimhood competition that does nothing but encourage people to hate each other. We are going backwards fast, with the Democratic Party instigating much of it.

King's dream — the dream of the good people in our country, black, brown, yellow and white — has been turned on its head. Worse, it has been stomped on and spat out.

Oh, how we miss Dr. King! We need him and his righteous idealism more than ever.

But now, to compound this bad turn in our country, we have to process new information about Dr. King himself that is nothing short of nauseating, if true. And, to be honest, it is likely to be. The source is David Garrow, author of the Pulitzer-winning encomium Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and a senior advisor to Eyes on the Prize, PBS' award-winning series on the Civil Rights Movement — in other words, a liberal's liberal and no enemy of King's. In fact, he is, if anything, a former idolator.

So when Garrow tells us, indeed quoting hidden FBI documents (sound familiar?), that MLK had a #MeToo problem far, far beyond what most of us actually imagined and probably already excused, we are constrained to believe him. It's one thing to have had a few affairs — that was long rumored — but forty plus? And rape, whether as a participant or encouraging eyewitness, as is apparently the case... well, one observer called King "the Harvey Weinstein of the Civil Rights Movement."

Of course, this whole confusing situation plays out against something equally despicable. It was the FBI itself, under the direction of J. Edgar Hoover, that was monitoring King and recording this. They were just as sexist as he was, doing absolutely nothing about the rape in progress in the next room from their listening post in Washington's Willard Hotel. Let the woman or women handle it themselves. Their way of dealing with it was later to try to get King to commit suicide.

Well, the FBI is — from J. Edgar Hoover (why is his name still on the building?) to James Comey — a government unto itself, as we have been constantly reminded of late. Let us hope they, and others, get the mammoth house cleaning they deserve.

No one wants to face this sad story and it's easy to see why. Matt Drudge had the scandal on the top of his page early Sunday but quickly removed it.

The last line is so true!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The fact that MLK had many extramarital affairs hasn't been a secret for decades. However, the full scope of it wasn't publicly known until now, it seems.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      The fact that MLK had many extramarital affairs hasn't been a secret for decades. However, the full scope of it wasn't publicly known until now, it seems.
      One of the most damaging claims is that he witnessed, and laughed at, the rape of a woman by a colleague. If that's true (and other similar claims) it is downright sickening.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        One of the most damaging claims is that he witnessed, and laughed at, the rape of a woman by a colleague. If that's true (and other similar claims) it is downright sickening.
        It will be interesting to see if these revelations gain any traction, and what the reaction will be, because there are a LOT of roads and buildings and monuments in America bearing his name. Heck, we even have a national holiday to celebrate the day of his birth!
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It will be interesting to see if these revelations gain any traction, and what the reaction will be, because there are a LOT of roads and buildings and monuments in America bearing his name. Heck, we even have a national holiday to celebrate the day of his birth!
          It will certainly be interesting to see if the same standard applies regarding #metoo.

Comment

It will certainly be interesting to see if the same standard applies regarding #metoo.
            I don't have much faith in the "me too" movement, to be honest. They yelled from the rooftops until they realized they were taking down far more liberals than conservatives, and then they started getting very quiet.

Comment

It is sickening, by all means. I have already been reluctant to view him as a hero because I knew he was unrepentantly involved in sexual sin. We still have his legacy to deal with, though. Letter from a Birmingham Jail is one of the most brilliant pieces of writing in American history and it stands as a masterpiece apart from King's personal life.

The best analogy I can think of is his namesake. Martin Luther's legacy is complicated as well. Late in his life, it's well known that Luther became extremely anti-Semitic, and even called for people to burn down Jews' houses. This aspect of his legacy is usually acknowledged, though most people don't know how bad it actually was. So I think it's proper that those of us who are Protestants acknowledge the contributions he made while acknowledging that he wasn't an unblemished hero.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

But after watching the FBI for the last two years trying to railroad Trump, would it be hard to believe that they were trying to frame MLK with false claims?

Comment

Evangelical author Philip Yancey devoted a chapter to King in one of his popular books some years ago and concluded that the philandering charges were accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    But after watching the FBI for the last two years trying to railroad Trump, would it be hard to believe that they were trying to frame MLK with false claims?
                    Out of curiosity, has any witness or victim ever stepped forward to accuse King?

Comment

Yeah, I've always heard that he had "dozens" of affairs so that is hardly news but this claim is indeed troubling if true.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        That is the complicating factor - and Hoover's own ..um.. strange behavior and obsessions. I often wonder why the building is still named after Hoover.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Out of curiosity, has any witness or victim ever stepped forward to accuse King?
                          Since he was doing it within the civil rights movement, I would be extremely surprised if any victim would have wanted to step forward.

Comment

It is sickening, by all means. I have already been reluctant to view him as a hero because I knew he was unrepentantly involved in sexual sin.
                            It just goes to show that heroes tend to have feet of clay.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

...acknowledge the contributions he made while acknowledging that he wasn't an unblemished hero.
                              I think that can be said about just about every hero throughout history. For that matter, even some of the Bible's most notable figures were deeply flawed humans who were guilty of some pretty heinous acts.

Comment