Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
"Saints" is in this context:

Then is proceeded by the fact that the Beast and his associates kills everyone not accepting the mark he's forcing on the whole populace. I'm not sure how from the entire context you get just two or less saints. In fact, I've never heard that interpretation before.
Your reference was so vague that I thought you were referring to Revelation 11:7 which is about the two witnesses.

Now that I know you're referring to Revelation 13:9-10, I can give a more proper response. Where does it say that all saints were killed? It just says that they were going to be subjugated, no statement that every single one died. I suppose someone could try to claim Revelation 13:8's statement that "all inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast" indicates that no one would be left who doesn't, but that seems to be contradindicated by the fact immediately afterwards it qualifies the statement with "all whose names have not been written in the Lambís book of life" and subsequent passages also indicate there would still be believers (Revelation 14:12, Revelation 18:4).

As far as Jesus being "rhetorical," you need to explain what you mean. The context was once again about persecution and the fact he would return and avenge their persecution. I don't see why it was necessary to ask that question there if it was rhetorical, unless he was perhaps using hyperbole (not rhetoric) to actually describe how awful things would be for the church during the time he would return.
I said the question was rhetorical/hypothetical, as in not making an actual statement that there would be no one left. In any case, it's exactly what you said, that it was hyperbole.