Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teaching liberals about white privilege makes them blame poor whites more

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I have the same question Roger Olson (the theology professor) has. Why doesn't anybody talk about "rich privilege"? That's easier to demonstrate and should be much less controversial.
    Reminds me of darling Texas Governor Ann "Ma" Richards.... "Poor George -- he can't help it -- he was born with a silver foot in his mouth".
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Or maybe do away with the whole divisive "them and us" culture and affirm people as people?

Nah ... never happen. Too many people demanding the opportunity to get offended, even if they have to manufacture their own excuses to do it.
    That's one of my main issues with "privilege" talk in general: if we treat individuals as individuals, I don't see why it's necessary in the first place.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Or maybe do away with the whole divisive "them and us" culture and affirm people as people?

Nah ... never happen. Too many people demanding the opportunity to get offended, even if they have to manufacture their own excuses to do it.
    I think it is legitimate to talk about disadvantages that poverty provides that others do not have, such as structural barriers to starting new jobs (licensing fees, being able to afford unpaid training time, being able to afford nice clothes for interviews, transportation in the event of jobs that require mobility, etc.) This does not require putting anybody down.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    licensing fees, being able to afford unpaid training time, being able to afford nice clothes for interviews, transportation in the event of jobs that require mobility
    Meeting such needs would be a matter of giving people a leg-up, rather than a hand-out. So - raise the people with needs to the level where they have a fighting chance.
    Virtue signalling and shouting about unfairness and privelege does nothing to address the problems - but it does fuel resentment, and does promote the idea that making an effort is a waste of time.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Was anyone surprised by the findings?
    I certainly was not
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I don't see this as an either/or proposition. Understanding social dynamics is an important part of arriving at solutions. When you have groups (and you always do) you have the potential for systemic unbalance to develop between those groups. Studying it, learning about it, and educating about it is the only way I can think of to address those issues. That does not have to mean people are not appreciated or affirmed as people - and it does have to be done with an eye towards avoiding "us/them" thinking that has become far too common today.

The dynamic described in the OP is reflected in many places in our country. The "land of opportunity" mantra that has been so long a part of our culture is just as likely to be divisive. After all, if this is the land where "anyone can make it," clearly someone who has NOT made it is simply not trying or doesn't want to or is too lazy, right? We've heard this reflected many times - and it's a variant of us/them thinking.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    That's one of my main issues with "privilege" talk in general: if we treat individuals as individuals, I don't see why it's necessary in the first place.
    Individuals can be more or less privileged. Groups can be more or less privileged. I don't see the problem.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Individuals can be more or less privileged. Groups can be more or less privileged. I don't see the problem.
    Should we cancel paying the ransom cause you escaped?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why do we assume that 'privilege' (whatever that actually means) is automatically a bad thing. It's not like everyone is, or can be, exactly the same.

Surely what matters is what you do with what you've got.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

10. Amen Cerebrum123, mossrose, Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    Why do we assume that 'privilege' (whatever that actually means) is automatically a bad thing. It's not like everyone is, or can be, exactly the same.

Surely what matters is what you do with what you've got.
    EGGzackly!