Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Teaching liberals about white privilege makes them blame poor whites more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching liberals about white privilege makes them blame poor whites more

Source: https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fxge0000605

Complex intersections of race and class: Among social liberals, learning about White privilege reduces sympathy, increases blame, and decreases external attributions for White people struggling with poverty.

White privilege lessons are sometimes used to increase awareness of racism. However, little research has investigated the consequences of these lessons. Across 2 studies (N = 1,189), we hypothesized that White privilege lessons may both highlight structural privilege based on race, and simultaneously decrease sympathy for other challenges some White people endure (e.g., poverty)—especially among social liberals who may be particularly receptive to structural explanations of inequality. Indeed, both studies revealed that while social liberals were overall more sympathetic to poor people than social conservatives, reading about White privilege decreased their sympathy for a poor White (vs. Black) person. Moreover, these shifts in sympathy were associated with greater punishment/blame and fewer external attributions for a poor White person’s plight. We conclude that, among social liberals, White privilege lessons may increase beliefs that poor White people have failed to take advantage of their racial privilege—leading to negative social evaluations.

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Source: https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fxge0000605

Complex intersections of race and class: Among social liberals, learning about White privilege reduces sympathy, increases blame, and decreases external attributions for White people struggling with poverty.

White privilege lessons are sometimes used to increase awareness of racism. However, little research has investigated the consequences of these lessons. Across 2 studies (N = 1,189), we hypothesized that White privilege lessons may both highlight structural privilege based on race, and simultaneously decrease sympathy for other challenges some White people endure (e.g., poverty)—especially among social liberals who may be particularly receptive to structural explanations of inequality. Indeed, both studies revealed that while social liberals were overall more sympathetic to poor people than social conservatives, reading about White privilege decreased their sympathy for a poor White (vs. Black) person. Moreover, these shifts in sympathy were associated with greater punishment/blame and fewer external attributions for a poor White person’s plight. We conclude that, among social liberals, White privilege lessons may increase beliefs that poor White people have failed to take advantage of their racial privilege—leading to negative social evaluations.

© Copyright Original Source

Was anyone surprised by the findings?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      I was absolutely stunned. It will take a trip to Golden Corral's all you can eat buffet to even begin to get over the shock.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My dad's family comes from Appalachia - where there are some of the poorest people in the world, white and black. And that was BEFORE Obama shut down the only means of support they had, working in coal mines. No white privilege back there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          My dad's family comes from Appalachia - where there are some of the poorest people in the world, white and black. And that was BEFORE Obama shut down the only means of support they had, working in coal mines. No white privilege back there.
          Half an hour in the mines - who could tell the difference anyway, before the people showered?
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Half an hour in the mines - who could tell the difference anyway, before the people showered?
            They'd likely be accused of cultural appropriation nowadays.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The first half hour is just the elevator ride down to the job site.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have the same question Roger Olson (the theology professor) has. Why doesn't anybody talk about "rich privilege"? That's easier to demonstrate and should be much less controversial.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I have the same question Roger Olson (the theology professor) has. Why doesn't anybody talk about "rich privilege"? That's easier to demonstrate and should be much less controversial.
                  I would add "pretty privilege," and, after having given this some thought, "neurological privilege" as well (for example, non-autistic people).
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Or maybe do away with the whole divisive "them and us" culture and affirm people as people?

Nah ... never happen. Too many people demanding the opportunity to get offended, even if they have to manufacture their own excuses to do it.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Reminds me of darling Texas Governor Ann "Ma" Richards.... "Poor George -- he can't help it -- he was born with a silver foot in his mouth".

Comment

Or maybe do away with the whole divisive "them and us" culture and affirm people as people?

Nah ... never happen. Too many people demanding the opportunity to get offended, even if they have to manufacture their own excuses to do it.
                        That's one of my main issues with "privilege" talk in general: if we treat individuals as individuals, I don't see why it's necessary in the first place.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I think it is legitimate to talk about disadvantages that poverty provides that others do not have, such as structural barriers to starting new jobs (licensing fees, being able to afford unpaid training time, being able to afford nice clothes for interviews, transportation in the event of jobs that require mobility, etc.) This does not require putting anybody down.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

licensing fees, being able to afford unpaid training time, being able to afford nice clothes for interviews, transportation in the event of jobs that require mobility
                            Meeting such needs would be a matter of giving people a leg-up, rather than a hand-out. So - raise the people with needs to the level where they have a fighting chance.
                            Virtue signalling and shouting about unfairness and privelege does nothing to address the problems - but it does fuel resentment, and does promote the idea that making an effort is a waste of time.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I certainly was not
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment