Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: So The Next Generation Will Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: So The Next Generation Will Know

How do we reach Generation Z?

Link

------

What do I think of Sean McDowell and J. Warner Wallace's new book published by David C. Cook? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This book is not your typical apologetics book. Actually, I wouldn't even call it an apologetics book. If you want to know if God exists, you're wasting your time coming here. If you want to know if Jesus rose from the dead or if the New Testament is reliable, look elsewhere. If you want to know if you should wait until marriage to have sex, come back to this one later on.

Yet despite that, this is still a very important book for apologetics.

Why? Because this is dealing with Generation Z, a generation many older people will not really know how to interact with. For Z, 9-11 has always been a reality. Either they were born after it or they were born in a time when they couldn't really know what was going on when it happened. This generation has grown up with internet that you don't have to dial-up to use. This generation has grown up with smartphones. As a gamer, I can even use one of the images that I think of when I see the younger generation of gamers coming up.

Bane, Gaming.jpg

If we talk about gaming, in my generation, you had to do something like read Nintendo Power, or once a month or so call a long-distance (GASP!) line that charged to get tips you needed to win or talk to kids on the playground. Not so today. Nope. You just get on Google and look up what you want to do or watch a YouTube video where someone shows you how to do it.

Generation Z is also looking for real relationships and real answers. These are people that won't answer a question with "I don't know" but "Let me Google that for you." They can fact check what you say right on the spot. It doesn't mean they will do a good job of it necessarily, but they can try. This is a generation that will talk to you while on their phone and not think a thing about it. (Okay. I'm 38 and I will do the same thing so it's not totally different.) This is a generation that is quite literally, plugged in.

Wallace and McDowell have written a book about how to reach them. This is something that if you are a youth pastor should be required reading. Parents should also learn about this generation and the realities that they grow up with. This generation needs to know the Gospel as well, especially since our society is becoming more and more post-Christian.

The book is a guide on how to best interact with this generation in the home, in the school, and in the church. McDowell and Wallace have experience as well having gone on trips with these young people and having had jobs where they were in touch with them and working with them. They talk about the way to build up relationships and do so in a way that the youth will actually listen.

As someone on social media, I see many people coming up who I think are in generation Z and some are Christians and apologists like myself. Some are also non-Christians and antagonistic towards Christianity. I can still notice the differences in our approach. It still amazes my wife and me when we both talk about "kids today" realizing we're doing what our parents did and wondering when we became them.

If you are in youth ministry, get this book. If you are in a pastorate, get this book to learn how to interact with those younger people. If you are a parent, get this book. If you care anything about the next generation, get this book.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

So you really think someone my age could benefit from this?
    sigpic

Comment

You whippersnappers!

Why, when I was a kid all we had was Pong and we liked it! None of that fancy-shmancy 8-bit color and synthesized music! We had 1-bit: Black and White, and one sound: "Beep" and we were happy!

Last edited by Sparko; 05-31-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You whippersnappers!

Why, when I was a kid all we had was Pong and we liked it! None of that fancy-shmancy 8-bit color and synthesized music! We had 1-bit: Black and White, and one sound: "Beep" and we were happy!

And of course, back in Mossy's day they were playing this fun new game called "Creation."

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
          So you really think someone my age could benefit from this?
          Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            And of course, back in Mossy's day they were playing this fun new game called "Creation."
            Blurring the Creator/creature distinction is going a bit far.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Blurring the Creator/creature distinction is going a bit far.
              I couldn't think of anything else to call it. After all, the Big Bang woke Mossy up from her nap.

Comment

I couldn't think of anything else to call it. After all, the Big Bang woke Mossy up from her nap.
                Sometimes joking can only be taken so far. It's tough to top pong.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have seen some good reviews for this book. I do respect Wallace's work. I think I might just get this.
                  sigpic

Comment

In mossy's day, they just threw rocks at each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      In mossy's day, they just threw rocks at each other.

Luxury! We used to dream of having rocks thrown at us. In my day, it was handfuls of molten lava that was thrown at us.

{Prize for anyone who gets the reference}
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

You sure about that Sparko? I thought rocks came much later.

Comment