Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In the Beginning was Information.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

In the Beginning was Information.

A 1997 book by Werner Gitt. Is it worth reading, or there are, in your opinion, better and more up-to-date books to be purchased within this type of book? What would you reccomend I buy on the topic of 'information' issues?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moderated By: rogue06

Moved to Nat Sci because OP writer can't post in Protology

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    First, Gitt is an engineer not a scientist, and approaches the concept of information very mechanistically from a Creationist assertion of a Divine perspective and not a scientific perspective. It is a simple straight forward literal Biblical view without any reference to science.

Source: https://answersingenesis.org/answers/books/in-six-days/werner-gitt-information-science/

For me, as an information scientist, the key question is the source of information. Regarding the length of the creation days, there is only one information source, and that is the Bible. In the Bible, God tells us that He created everything in six days.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-01-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

4. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    First, Gitt is an engineer not a scientist, and approaches the concept of information very mechanistically from a Creationist assertion of a Divine perspective and not a scientific perspective. It is a simple straight forward literal Biblical view without any reference to science.

Source: https://answersingenesis.org/answers/books/in-six-days/werner-gitt-information-science/

For me, as an information scientist, the key question is the source of information. Regarding the length of the creation days, there is only one information source, and that is the Bible. In the Bible, God tells us that He created everything in six days.

© Copyright Original Source

But the simple fact that he is an enginner does not invalidate his arguments. This is a type of authority fallacy. His arguments (or anyone else's) should stand or fall on their own. Don't you agree?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    But the simple fact that he is an engineer does not invalidate his arguments. This is a type of authority fallacy. His arguments (or anyone else's) should stand or fall on their own. Don't you agree?
    Yes, every argument should stand on the merits of the argument itself, but no coherent argument is presented by Gitt.

I believe he limits the validity in two ways: (1) He asserts only the literal Biblical Creation, without any argument nor other references to support the assertion. (2) He does not present anything in terms of science. (3) His qualifications as a scientist or not does decidedly impact the coherency of an argument. In his own reference he claims to be a scientist, he is not. The problem is very real where other creationists present a scientific argument with no qualifications in science, and even Creationist scientist present unethical and dishonest arguments in terms of science.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Thinking
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But the simple fact that he is an enginner does not invalidate his arguments. This is a type of authority fallacy. His arguments (or anyone else's) should stand or fall on their own. Don't you agree?
    Among other fatal flaws Gitt invented a lot of his own definitions for various forms of "information" not used by anyone else in any scientific field. Most were circular and all were scientifically worthless. Sadly he's just one more in a long list of Jesus loving crackpots out to scientifically "prove" his Biblical beliefs.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    Among other fatal flaws Gitt invented a lot of his own definitions for various forms of "information" not used by anyone else in any scientific field. Most were circular and all were scientifically worthless. Sadly he's just one more in a long list of Jesus loving crackpots out to scientifically "prove" his Biblical beliefs.
    The only point I will specifically disagree with is Gitt makes no effort to scientifically "prove" his beliefs. He simply asserts his beliefs and definitions for Fundamentalism Creationist information.

Frank

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Anyway, would any of you reccomend reading a book from 1997, or should I look for something more 'updated'?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Anyway, would any of you reccomend reading a book from 1997, or should I look for something more 'updated'?
    If you are referring to a general reference on evolution 1997 is ok, or a reference about or by Gitt ok.

What has been advanced in the science of evolution since is the fossil finds that support evolution, and the increased details of the genetic evidence including the ability to extract usable DNA from fossils.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-08-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Frank

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Anyway, would any of you recommend reading a book from 1997, or should I look for something more 'updated'?
    As far as Gitt goes nothing has changed since 1997.

Frank