Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

PC insanity may mean the end of American universities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC insanity may mean the end of American universities

Some GREAT points here.... (I bolded my favorite)

People used to talk about the ends of the university and how the academic establishment was failing its students. Today, more and more people are talking about the end of the university, the idea being that it is time to think about closing them rather than reforming them.

Last month at a conference in London, the distinguished British philosopher Sir Roger Scruton added his voice to this chorus when responding to a questioner who complained of the physical *violence meted out to conservative students at Birkbeck University.

There were two possible responses to this situation, Sir Roger said. One was to start competing institutions, outside the academic establishment, that welcomed conservative voices.

The other possibility was “get rid of universities altogether.”

That response was met with enthusiastic applause.

Sir Roger went on to qualify his recommendation, noting that a modern society required institutions to pursue science and engineering. But the humanities, which at most colleges and universities have devolved into cesspools of identity politics and grievance studies, should be starved of funding and ultimately shut down.

It’s an idea that is getting more and more traction.

In a remarkable essay in Quillette titled “After Academia,” *Allen Farrington summed up the growing consensus. “We need to stop wringing our hands over how to save academia and *acknowledge that its disease is terminal.”
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I think physical universities will eventually disappear in favor of online universities. I think online universities can be cheaper too. No need to pay for a physical university, maybe just an office building for administration and to house servers and studios for professors to broadcast from. Professors could even record their lectures and reuse them. Or heck, eliminate professors altogether.

Grading could be automated. No need for dorms.

Not sure how it would effect political bias in the universities though. Would they just push liberalism through their online classes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think physical universities will eventually disappear in favor of online universities. I think online universities can be cheaper too. No need to pay for a physical university, maybe just an office building for administration and to house servers and studios for professors to broadcast from. Professors could even record their lectures and reuse them. Or heck, eliminate professors altogether.

Grading could be automated. No need for dorms.

Not sure how it would effect political bias in the universities though. Would they just push liberalism through their online classes?
      I took the heart of the article to focus on the "hard sciences", not the "humanities" - because math, physics, chemistry.... are not as susceptible to bias as political science, African-American studies, etc...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Subject delivery would be severely down-graded. Session time isn't only for course material, it is also a matter of exchange of ideas - which doesn't work anywhere near as effectively online as it does face to face.

Not sure how it would effect political bias in the universities though. Would they just push liberalism through their online classes?[/QUOTE]

Almost certainly. Irrelevant leftist politicking gets injected into lectures at random, but fairly consistently taken on a lecture after lecture basis.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I took the heart of the article to focus on the "hard sciences", not the "humanities" - because math, physics, chemistry.... are not as susceptible to bias as political science, African-American studies, etc...
          10 years from now...

Prof. "Lefty" B.I. Ass, Chair of the Department of Approved Physics at Andrea Dworkin University (formerly University of California at Berkeley) declared that since throughout history different people provided different numbers of colors seen in rainbows, and because Newton didn't originally include orange, that orange will be excluded from now on explaining, "Orange bad because Orange man bad."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            10 years from now...

Prof. "Lefty" B.I. Ass, Chair of the Department of Approved Physics at Andrea Dworkin University (formerly University of California at Berkeley) declared that since throughout history different people provided different numbers of colors seen in rainbows, and because Newton didn't originally include orange, that orange will be excluded from now on explaining, "Orange bad because Orange man bad."
            You worked hard on that, didn't you?

Comment

You worked hard on that, didn't you?
              Obviously not too hard
              Last edited by rogue06; 06-03-2019, 06:49 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Some GREAT points here.... (I bolded my favorite)

People used to talk about the ends of the university and how the academic establishment was failing its students. Today, more and more people are talking about the end of the university, the idea being that it is time to think about closing them rather than reforming them.

Last month at a conference in London, the distinguished British philosopher Sir Roger Scruton added his voice to this chorus when responding to a questioner who complained of the physical *violence meted out to conservative students at Birkbeck University.

There were two possible responses to this situation, Sir Roger said. One was to start competing institutions, outside the academic establishment, that welcomed conservative voices.

The other possibility was “get rid of universities altogether.”

That response was met with enthusiastic applause.

Sir Roger went on to qualify his recommendation, noting that a modern society required institutions to pursue science and engineering. But the humanities, which at most colleges and universities have devolved into cesspools of identity politics and grievance studies, should be starved of funding and ultimately shut down.

It’s an idea that is getting more and more traction.

In a remarkable essay in Quillette titled “After Academia,” *Allen Farrington summed up the growing consensus. “We need to stop wringing our hands over how to save academia and *acknowledge that its disease is terminal.”
                This sounds like a recipe for Philistinism. And the options suggested, leave out such humane courses as the Classics. The textual criticism of Virgil leaves very little room for the politicisation of that discipline. Abolishing the universities would have help to destroy Assyriology, which would destroy an entire department of Archaeology. What is suggested is extremely short-sighted. Not all forms of study deal with measurable quantities - some, are probabilistic, and are none the worse for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                  This sounds like a recipe for Philistinism. And the options suggested, leave out such humane courses as the Classics. The textual criticism of Virgil leaves very little room for the politicisation of that discipline. Abolishing the universities would have help to destroy Assyriology, which would destroy an entire department of Archaeology. What is suggested is extremely short-sighted. Not all forms of study deal with measurable quantities - some, are probabilistic, and are none the worse for that.
                  The whole college system in the US needs an overhaul. How many people actually work in the discipline in which they were schooled? How many unnecessary courses (and associated money) are foisted on unsuspecting skulls full of mush never to benefit that individual? I know a whole bunch of people who appear to be educated far above their intelligence, and not withing their field.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                    You would be surprised at the way gender politics (for example) can be injected into wholly irrelevant course material.
                    Text under review: "The apostles spoke to a woman in the market."
                    Lecturer: "Notice how the apostles have asserted their male privilege to accost a woman in the market-place who (rant on.)"

And of course the more relevant matters - Church in the community, for example, easily lend themselves to anti-Trump tirades on video (and this in Australia!)

Then there is the matter of gender neutral language - which can be addressed in any lecture on any subject.
                    Never let it be pointed out that the ""he" is a gender specific pronoun than disenfranchises females, its use being imposed on society by the male patriarchy" story is fake history and false etymology.
                    Last edited by tabibito; 06-05-2019, 09:52 AM.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment