Thread: Need a GREAT perspective on Death & Dying from a Christian Perspective?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Need a GREAT perspective on Death & Dying from a Christian Perspective?

Are you facing a terminal illness? Know somebody who is? Want to get a better understanding of what they're going through or how to minister to them?

A pastor friend is dying of a terribly debilitating illness. He has journal'd his thoughts and feelings during this progression, and written them down in a book which I highly recommend.

for thou art with me.jpg
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

2. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, Sunday was very interesting.

Dr Baker came to Church, along with wife, daughter, son-in-law, and a couple of friends.

I have to admit I was a little nervous -- this man is BRILLIANT with regards to Church history, theology in general, etc, and I'm just a country preacher.

He's actually looking for a place for his wife to attend Church when he passes, and, by all accounts, it sounds like our Church might be "it".

He's in a really cool motorized wheelchair, is still very "with it" mind-wise, but health is failing to where he doesn't have much wind to speak, but insisted he would like the opportunity to thank us for our prayers.

I preached from 2 Cor 8:1-5, on the Grace that God gives us to endure hardships, and even to be generous in giving therein. It certainly was not aimed at him, I had planned that well before I knew he might show up.

My daughter (his hospice nurse) told me afterward, "Dad, if you were nervous, it certainly didn't snow". I'm glad, because, several times during preaching, I thought "wow, this sounds like I cooked this up just for Bruce".

She also shared a text from him that he very much enjoyed the service, and they would be back.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

4. Amen mossrose, Celebrian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Funny, isn't it, how God uses us to proclaim His word when and where it's needed, without our even being aware of His doing so, at times.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    On Tuesday (tomorrow) Dr Bruce will go to Texas A&M to speak to and answer questions from a very prestigious board made up of some of the "biggies" in the hospice community.

I can't give more details right now, but this is quite an opportunity for him, and my daughter is invited to attend as his hospice nurse.

8. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.