Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Back in the Mormon Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though I'm less excited about word, chapter, and verse than about knowing what the Bible has to say - knowing WCV is sort of useful in establishing some sort of credibility.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Um,
      Don't you mean that if these folk were into the word, then these churches would be growing instead of failing?
      Nope. I mean that the wishy-washy churches with massive congregations that are only there to hear pap would be failing if the people in the congregations were actually into the word.

Meant what I said.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Nope. I mean that the wishy-washy churches with massive congregations that are only there to hear pap would be failing if the people in the congregations were actually into the word.

Meant what I said.
        Ok. Though it must be said that such churches tend to have massive turnover, too. People tend not to stay.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Though I'm less excited about word, chapter, and verse than about knowing what the Bible has to say - knowing WCV is sort of useful in establishing some sort of credibility.

Only if the Bible is viewed as some sort of authority in the first place, champ. Perhaps you missed that part.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Not trying to imply that you did - it's just rather the preferred method in Evangelical circles, in my experience (except when working with Jews, when the "Jerusalem Road" is preferred).
            I've seen the Roman Road, the Four Spiritual Laws, Evangelism Explosion - all kinds of "tools"... the one 'component' that should be common to all is the power of the Holy Spirit. And as there are more and more people who either don't believe the Bible, or don't trust it like we do, I'm always prepared to go with my personal testimony or whatever the Spirit leads...
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I've seen the Roman Road, the Four Spiritual Laws, Evangelism Explosion - all kinds of "tools"...
              Seen, yes. The Roman Road is the one I've seen the most, is all. I'm familiar with the Four Spiritual Laws from my fundamentalist days. I've heard of EE, but have no idea what it entails.
              the one 'component' that should be common to all is the power of the Holy Spirit. And as there are more and more people who either don't believe the Bible, or don't trust it like we do, I'm always prepared to go with my personal testimony or whatever the Spirit leads...
              I believe I've stated my agreement with that already.

sigpic

Comment

I believe I've stated my agreement with that already.
                You're only allowed to agree once per thread per day, perhaps?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One of my friends was conversing with some people from her former faith (never mind which) and a doctrine they held which was in clear contradiction to scripture came up. She finally pointed to the Bible in clear view on their table and said, "Read it! And see for yourselves!"

Point is, no matter if it's a catechism, creed, statement of faith, policy, etc, etc. one must know their Bible so as to not be deceived!
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Ok. Though it must be said that such churches tend to have massive turnover, too. People tend not to stay.
                    And, likely, many of those go on to another church just like the one they left. Of course, I'm conjecturing here and have no facts.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      And, likely, many of those go on to another church just like the one they left. Of course, I'm conjecturing here and have no facts.
                      They probably go broke and go find a "cheaper" church.

Comment

So, after Vacation Bible School last night, my ministry coordinator told me, "Oh, by the way, there were a couple of young men shooting hoops on our lot near the garage, and I was taking some trash to the dumpster. I think I must have scared them, and it looked like they thought I was going to yell at them, but I told them it's perfectly OK for them to play hoops there!" From her description, one of them sounded like Josh. A quick review of the security camera video footage showed it was!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X