Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Ready...Set...God.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: Ready...Set...God.

Ready for the big game?

Link

-----

What do I think of Jason Jolin's book published by Westbow Press? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Jason Jolin sent me this book to review. I told him I was hesitant to since I don't know much about football, but he did say I could understand it. So in preparation for this, I did some research.

Turns out, football is a sport. Learn something new every day.

So in this story, you have two brothers on opposing teams each being a quarterback facing off against each other and the main one you follow is the younger one named Adam. Through all the events in the book, Jolin goes through to show evidence for Christianity. The story is also a pretty good one with some look at the inner psychology of the protagonist.

So let's start with the positives.

First off, I think it's a good idea to use something that is an everyday experience for many people to try to get them to think about Christianity. I started wondering if the same could be done in other areas. I know Jerry Walls's son Jonny years ago wrote The Legend of Zelda and Theology. I would like to see more works like this. Consider it a sort of pop culture and theology instead of pop culture and philosophy.

Second, the book is short with short chapters. That way, it won't overwhelm the layman. One could conceivably read some of it during a halftime show or during commercial breaks at a game, except for perhaps the Super Bowl since I am convinced the commercials are the only part of the Super Bowl worth watching. You can easily present this to a football fan.

Third, there are plenty of essential topics covered such as the existence of God, the nature of morality, the reliability of Scripture, and the death and resurrection and person of Jesus. One could consider this a sort of primer to study for something deeper.

Now on to things I would like to see improved.

While I understand this was written for a football fan, for those of us who are not football fans, I found the terminology confusing at times. What is a linebacker or a tight end exactly? Yes. In all honesty, I do not understand these terms as I am not a football fan. I was able to understand the story well enough, but that would have been more helpful.

Second, I would like to see more references directly to the scholars instead of to books on popular apologetics. Geisler and Turek's I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist might be fine for a reader, but when I go to a book on apologetics, I want to see the main scholars themselves cited.

Finally, I can't say I agree with all the arguments. I'm still not really a fan of scientific arguments for God and when it comes to morality, I would like to see goodness defined. I think a lot of approaches can seem to beg the question such as God being eternal and yet not giving a reason for that or defining what goodness is and just saying God is good.

Still, these are things that should not detract. A football fan in your life could enjoy this book and it could lead to conversation. Again, I hope that many more will follow suit like that.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Gotta strike a balance. If you're writing a book for football fans, explaining things even a casual fan is likely to know is going to be a little off-putting.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment