Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Australian gunman goes on shooting spree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I would say it is partly due to a media in effect "glorifying" the killer...
    And I say that it's 100% the fault the person who pulled the trigger, or wielded the knife, or started the fire, or sat behind the wheel of a car as he plowed through a crowd of people. This desire to blame anybody but the perpetrator is aggravating.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      We can't continue to just pretend it's an acceptable cost for free access to guns that crazies can use them to kill large numbers of people without any sort of filter.
      One thing we need to do is outlaw the deadly "gun free zones" where the overwhelming majority of mass shootings take place. We also need to make it easier for law abiding citizens to acquire and carry firearms.

Comment

pix - you're being irrational.
        Of course I am because I’m attacking your narrative and you prefer that not to happen. Violence in media is nothing new and gun tech is roughly the same today as it was 60 years ago. What changed?

Something needs to be done. We can't continue to just pretend it's an acceptable cost for free access to guns that crazies can use them to kill large numbers of people without any sort of filter. We live in a society that has degenerated in the area of personal character that we are, as a society, no longer fit to have free access to guns. There are too many people living lives below the moral line where such actions are thinkable. And no-one is willing to make the massive changes in attitude and morals, especially since almost universally the ONLY way that is accomplished is through religious faith. But neither can we sit back and just pretend there is nothing preventative that can be done.
        And that ‘something’ lines right up with what you want to believe. How wonderful, too bad you haven’t touched a thing I sad or proved your position is true beyond emotional appeals. Sorry, but your opinion is laughable in the face of the reality that we are safer now, by almost every measure, than we were decades ago. Stop being persuaded by fear and propaganda, we’re living in one of the safest eras in human history.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          One thing we need to do is outlaw the deadly "gun free zones" where the overwhelming majority of mass shootings take place. We also need to make it easier for law abiding citizens to acquire and carry firearms.
          We also need to realize that the media is trying to play off our fear. We are living in one of the safest eras in human history and we act like it’s more dangerous now than it was 30 years ago, when crime was more common.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            We also need to realize that the media is trying to play off our fear. We are living in one of the safest eras in human history and we act like it’s more dangerous now than it was 30 years ago, when crime was more common.
            I conclude, RELUCTANTLY conclude, that there is a certain logic to the American right wing attitudes to guns after all. It would take a fundamental change to the culture to prevent a gun ban from becoming a shooting fish in the barrel proposition - with anti-social elements doing the shooting.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Of course I am because I’m attacking your narrative and you prefer that not to happen. Violence in media is nothing new and gun tech is roughly the same today as it was 60 years ago. What changed?
              Apparently - a lot. We just didn't have mass shootings like this when I was a kid. Gun tech is roughly the same? That's way too rough a generalization. I guess you mean they still use gun powder and a trigger

And that ‘something’ lines right up with what you want to believe. How wonderful, too bad you haven’t touched a thing I sad or proved your position is true beyond emotional appeals. Sorry, but your opinion is laughable in the face of the reality that we are safer now, by almost every measure, than we were decades ago. Stop being persuaded by fear and propaganda, we’re living in one of the safest eras in human history.
              You are such a wild thing. Like Africanized bees, it takes almost nothing to provoke you into a crazed and defensive response. Best to keep one's distance.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Apparently - a lot. We just didn't have mass shootings like this when I was a kid. Gun tech is roughly the same? That's way too rough a generalization. I guess you mean they still use gun powder and a trigger
                We also didn’t have 24 hour news networks, trying to get eyeballs on the screen. They happened, they just didn’t spend 24 hours a day, for a week, talking about it. Since all you have us insults and zero substance, let me help you here:

When was the AR-15 designed?
                How much different does it look today vs when it was first designed?

I know you don’t like your narrative being destroyed, but the biggest changes to come to guns is in using new alloy’s and composite materials in their construction. The basic design and operation, hasn’t changed in decades. What do I know though? My dad only collects antique and vintage firearms. Semi automatics, carriages, large ammo capacity, etc is a decades old technology that my great grandfather owned.

You are such a wild thing. Like Africanized bees, it takes almost nothing to provoke you into a crazed and defensive response. Best to keep one's distance.
                I can have total chaos going on all around me and can keep calm and organized, even with a dozen kids going wild. Just ask my in-laws, nearly 9 years of marriage and they have yet to see me get phased by anything, even when a tree fell on our house a few years ago. You’re just projecting your TDS symptoms onto others. Anyway, you could show where I am wrong and why, but that might require you to admit your narrative is wrong and that can never happen.
                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-07-2019, 01:10 PM.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No the technology and the actual guns and mechanisms haven't changed. The AR-15 was developed in the 1950s and is pretty much still the same gun today mechanically. Semi-auto guns haven't changed much. They add lasers and fancy trigger safeties and grips and handrails, but the mechanics haven't changed in nearly a hundred years now.

Comment

We just didn't have mass shootings like this when I was a kid.
                    I suppose it depends on how old you are, but as I mentioned earlier, the number of mass shootings in the US has been pretty much a statistical flatline for at least the past 30-years.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...esearch-215678

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      No the technology and the actual guns and mechanisms haven't changed. The AR-15 was developed in the 1950s and is pretty much still the same gun today mechanically. Semi-auto guns haven't changed much. They add lasers and fancy trigger safeties and grips and handrails, but the mechanics haven't changed in nearly a hundred years now.
                      All the basic mechanics that make up an AR-15 existed by the 1890’s.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I see, so they are not different, but they are after all. Sorta like saying cars arent different because the still have internal combustion engines and rubber tires.

Im not real sure the point of all this except for pix to just pick a fight and go all wild eyed.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I see, so they are not different, but they are after all. Sorta like saying cars arent different because the still have internal combustion engines and rubber tires.
                          Tell you what, you tell me the differences between a modern AR-15 and it’s 1959 model and I’ll tell you the difference between a modern car and it’s original model. Deal?

Im not real sure the point of all this except for pix to just pick a fight and go all wild eyed.
                          Still projecting? Please stop acting like Jorge. It doesn’t do you any favors.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Jim
                            No the actual mechanical parts and movements are the same. How the trigger and firing mechanism work hasn't changed in 100 years. Or in the case of the AR-15, in 60+ years. It is more like having a car where the internal combustion engine hasn't changed in 100 years, but the other parts have. In reality the internal combustion engine has changed a lot in the last 100 years. In guns, not much at all. It is a "mature technology" - stagnant for the most part.

Comment