Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Australian gunman goes on shooting spree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian gunman goes on shooting spree

At least four dead, two more injured after Australian gunman goes on shooting spree: reports

At least four people are dead and two more are injured after a lone gunman opened fire Tuesday night in a suburb just outside of Darwin, Australia, police said.

Northern Territory Police Duty Superintendent Lee Morgan confirmed that at least four people were killed when an unidentified 45-year-old man opened fire throughout the city using a pump-action shotgun, news.com.au reported.

At least two more people suffered gunshot wounds.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/victim...tralia-shotgun

---
    I thought Australia was a gun-free country?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That just means that law abiding citizens are defenseless.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Gun licences are available, but you need a reasonable excuse to own them, and there are strict controls on how and where they can be stored and used - but the occasional person does slip through the net. Northern Territory (Darwin is the capital) is deemed a remote area - gun ownership is more common than in the more populated areas.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Gun licences are available, but you need a reasonable excuse to own them, and there are strict controls on how and where they can be stored and used - but the occasional person does slip through the net. Northern Territory (Darwin is the capital) is deemed a remote area - gun ownership is more common than in the more populated areas.
        this goes to show that if someone wants to go on a killing spree, laws are not going to stop him. And looking at the photos, the police stopped him with guns.

Comment

this goes to show that if someone wants to go on a killing spree, laws are not going to stop him. And looking at the photos, the police stopped him with guns.
          I remember when police here didn't go armed - except for plain clothes detectives (they had shoulder holstered browning 22s) ... and that was before the heavier restrictions on fire-arms and the buy-back programme.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            I thought Northern Territory was more strict on their gun laws. I know paintball markers are restricted in Northern Territory to the point they may as well be banned.
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

At least four dead, two more injured after Australian gunman goes on shooting spree: reports

At least four people are dead and two more are injured after a lone gunman opened fire Tuesday night in a suburb just outside of Darwin, Australia, police said.
              This is Australia’s worst rampage killing in decades, four people were killed. A mere blip by US standards.

Pretty much. I know of no one who carries a gun. It's just not part of the Australian culture.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmorin View Post
                This is Australia’s worst rampage killing in decades...
                You need to qualify that statement: "worst rampage killing with a gun in decades". In 2018, five people were killed in a single stabbing incident.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...30?pfmredir=sm

And, in general, rates of violent crime and suicide are the same now or slightly worse than they were before Australia banned guns.

https://thefederalist.com/2015/09/03...n-ban-conceit/

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  This is Australia’s worst rampage killing in decades, four people were killed. A mere blip by US standards.

Pretty much. I know of no one who carries a gun. It's just not part of the Australian culture.
                  indeed. And I wonder just how much monthly shootings in the US of 10's or more might have planted the idea in his head.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    indeed. And I wonder just how much monthly shootings in the US of 10's or more might have planted the idea in his head.

Jim
                    Right, it's our fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Right, it's our fault.
                      Of course it is. Not his fault he decided to follow our example instead of getting help or whatever.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                        Of course it is. Not his fault he decided to follow our example instead of getting help or whatever.
                        Let's blame Hollywood. They glorify violence in movies and TV while acting all shocked and horrified about gun violence in real life and wanting to ban guns.

Comment

Let's blame Hollywood. They glorify violence in movies and TV while acting all shocked and horrified about gun violence in real life and wanting to ban guns.
                          There is a certain veracity in that. Although, it has to be admitted that Hollywood does play to the tastes of its audience, it is also true that it tends to mould those tastes.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                            It's obviously Trump's fault.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Gotta love the celebutards who, while starring in movies which depicts dozens of people getting mowed down by gun fire, make public statements decrying gun violence -- while being surrounded by bodyguards carrying firearms.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment