Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian gunman goes on shooting spree

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Australian gunman goes on shooting spree

At least four dead, two more injured after Australian gunman goes on shooting spree: reports

At least four people are dead and two more are injured after a lone gunman opened fire Tuesday night in a suburb just outside of Darwin, Australia, police said.

Northern Territory Police Duty Superintendent Lee Morgan confirmed that at least four people were killed when an unidentified 45-year-old man opened fire throughout the city using a pump-action shotgun, news.com.au reported.

At least two more people suffered gunshot wounds.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/victim...tralia-shotgun

---
    I thought Australia was a gun-free country?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    That just means that law abiding citizens are defenseless.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Gun licences are available, but you need a reasonable excuse to own them, and there are strict controls on how and where they can be stored and used - but the occasional person does slip through the net. Northern Territory (Darwin is the capital) is deemed a remote area - gun ownership is more common than in the more populated areas.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Gun licences are available, but you need a reasonable excuse to own them, and there are strict controls on how and where they can be stored and used - but the occasional person does slip through the net. Northern Territory (Darwin is the capital) is deemed a remote area - gun ownership is more common than in the more populated areas.
    this goes to show that if someone wants to go on a killing spree, laws are not going to stop him. And looking at the photos, the police stopped him with guns.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    this goes to show that if someone wants to go on a killing spree, laws are not going to stop him. And looking at the photos, the police stopped him with guns.
    I remember when police here didn't go armed - except for plain clothes detectives (they had shoulder holstered browning 22s) ... and that was before the heavier restrictions on fire-arms and the buy-back programme.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    I thought Northern Territory was more strict on their gun laws. I know paintball markers are restricted in Northern Territory to the point they may as well be banned.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    At least four dead, two more injured after Australian gunman goes on shooting spree: reports

At least four people are dead and two more are injured after a lone gunman opened fire Tuesday night in a suburb just outside of Darwin, Australia, police said.
    This is Australia’s worst rampage killing in decades, four people were killed. A mere blip by US standards.

Pretty much. I know of no one who carries a gun. It's just not part of the Australian culture.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassmorin View Post
    This is Australia’s worst rampage killing in decades...
    You need to qualify that statement: "worst rampage killing with a gun in decades". In 2018, five people were killed in a single stabbing incident.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...30?pfmredir=sm

And, in general, rates of violent crime and suicide are the same now or slightly worse than they were before Australia banned guns.

https://thefederalist.com/2015/09/03...n-ban-conceit/

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    This is Australia’s worst rampage killing in decades, four people were killed. A mere blip by US standards.

Pretty much. I know of no one who carries a gun. It's just not part of the Australian culture.
    indeed. And I wonder just how much monthly shootings in the US of 10's or more might have planted the idea in his head.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    indeed. And I wonder just how much monthly shootings in the US of 10's or more might have planted the idea in his head.

Jim
    Right, it's our fault.