Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Happiness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness.

I honestly believe that living solely to find pleasure and happiness will lead only to frustration as our hearts are restless. To me happiness comes from the good things in life as gracious gifts. I have been thinking about Ecclesiastes lately
    sigpic

Ecclesiastes is my favorite book of the Bible (I think the same is true of two of my godsons).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The pastor at the church I go to used it and Acts 16 to talk about depression and suicide. The jailer wanted to kill himself and Paul saved his life and later his soul was saved. Honestly, I was also impressed that my pastor used The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Contemplate the difference between joy and happiness.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Happiness happens because of our happenings.

Joy comes regardless of our happenings.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Happiness happens because of our happenings.

Joy comes regardless of our happenings.
            EGGzackly.... you can have Joy even when things aren't "happening" the you think they should be happening.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I find this quote from Augustine very comforting:

our hearts are restless until they rest in You. [cor nostrum inquietum est donec requiescat in Te]-Augustine of Hippo Confessions Book I Chapter I

In other words our true happiness stems from the grace and mercy God has given us in Christ (Matthew 7:7).

Reading Ecclesiastes we find the writer seeking happiness in wine, riches and women. But yet he never finds his fulfillment and takes on a Nihilistic attitude of life, and it is not toward the end that we see him speak about God and his commandments (Ecclesiastes 12:13). The source of his happiness was there all along he just was not looking in the right place. I Paul says the same thing when he talks about if there is no God, eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die (1st Corinthians 15:32). But yet he continues on to speak of God raising up Christ (1st Corinthians 15:45-57).

Comment

"If anyone could tell you the shortest, surest way to all happiness and perfection, he must tell you to make it a rule to yourself to thank and praise God for everything that happens to you. For it is certain that whatever seeming calamity happens to you, if you thank and praise God for it, you turn it into a blessing." (William Law)
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke
                  A friend of mine came from a Catholic family, and when my friend accepted Jesus as Savior, the mom and dad became interested, as well. In short order, they also received Christ as Savior, and started attending our Church.

When they heard about this "praising God in all things", Frank, the dad, told me very bluntly "I'm not gonna praise God for DUMB Stuff!!!!"

Well, long story short, one of his daughters was critically injured in an accident, and nearly died, but was miraculously restored to health. We had prayed for her complete healing, and God blessed.

As we stood by her bed as she lay peacefully asleep, Frank took my hand and said, "you know what, Pastor? I've learned to praise God even for DUMB stuff!"
                  THIS part I can get behind.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment