Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Backlash Over Proposed ‘Straight Pride’ Parade In Boston

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    ...and ALSO trying (very successfully over the years) effect change. Both, in their time have attracted massive protests.
    If the gay pride parades of a dozen or so years ago were trying to effect change they likely shot themselves in the foot. I've heard several gay activists say over the years that those parades were at best counterproductive.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    If the gay pride parades of a dozen or so years ago were trying to effect change they likely shot themselves in the foot. I've heard several gay activists say over the years that those parades were at best counterproductive.
    Yet, it would be foolish for the gay community to denounce the debauchery and 'freak show' nature of the gay pride 'parades', because that's what some of those perverts (the ones who parade around in BSDM attire, naked, half naked, accentuated male genitalia, vagina suits, etc) live for.

When we were at the Promise Keepers rally in DC years ago, there were a number of small outbreaks of "queer nation" and women exposing their breasts to the men, some of the women stripping naked.... in most cases, the men just formed groups surrounding these little outbreaks, with their backs to them, blocking them from the view of the crowds.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Well historically Christians have been discriminated against a lot worse than homosexuals. And continue to be in some places.

And remember the pizza parlor that refused to cater a gay wedding? They were harassed so much they had to shut down their business. I think they got death threats. Or the kid who got attacked by an entire country because he smiled while an Indian banged a drum in his face?
    B-b-but he was wearing a MAGA hat! As the newly minted socio-political expert Alyssa Milano (who just a couple months ago was nothing more than a celebutard nearing the end of her acting career) informed us, MAGA hats are identical to KKK hoods, and therefore the wearer "deserves" whatever negative thing happens to them[1]. So forget the facts, the kid was entirely at fault.

1. You know, just like women scantily dressed deserve to be sexually assaulted

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah they are not the type of parades you would want to take children to. They were just sexual exhibitions for the most part. The only message they gave was "We're gay and we're in your face! Ha!"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah they are not the type of parades you would want to take children to. They were just sexual exhibitions for the most part. The only message they gave was "We're gay and we're in your face! Ha!"
    "They think we're sexual degenerates? How dare they?! We'll show them!"
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

7. Amen Cow Poke, mossrose, Littlejoe, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    "They think we're sexual degenerates? How dare they?! We'll show them!"
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Not yet Jim, Christians and Christian ideals are being marginalized more and more in the West. We see this on college campus, in the general culture.
    It still doesnt compare - in this country - to what ive seen done to gays. Now in other places in the world that is not true.

Part of the problem here is that most of us stay away from gays, so we just are not aware of how it is, or just dont care because we think they deserve it.

Jim
    There are no friends

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    It still doesnt compare - in this country - to what ive seen done to gays. Now in other places in the world that is not true.

Part of the problem here is that most of us stay away from gays, so we just are not aware of how it is, or just dont care because we think they deserve it.

Jim
    I think that may be a regional thing maybe. I'm not sure about Maryland, but here in Ohio (and in New England), homosexuality is very much celebrated. It's celebrated in TV, at the movies, on the streets with parades, at my bank (Chase bank has a pro-pride message at the ATM), and throughout other local businesses, schools, and public venues. Columbus' Pride parade and associated events are massive! The city, especially High St., and the Short North are heavily festooned with pride flags, and pride flyers (even outside of Pride month). And being gay is often considered a mark of honor. I know a number of people personally who "came out" in high school and college because they wanted to be part of the movement, and be part of something exciting and sort of dangerous and underground, only to drop the pretense later (I also know a number of girls who would flirt and make out with one another to turn on their guy friends).

I know for a fact that people who struggle with homosexual desires still have it rough, whether it's internal confusion, or be from family or some of the public, but a lot that has changed in the last 35 years since homosexuality has been pushed heavily to the forefront by the LGBT machine. GLAAD gladly promotes the fact that homosexuality is over-represented in TV and movies, and people who are not with the message are quickly and heavily turned on and told in no uncertain terms that they're vermin and evil, and are NOT welcome. Whether that's celebrities like Chris Pratt, or scientists like Robert Spitzer who was responsible for removing homosexuality from the list of mental illness in the DSM in the 70s, but who later conducted a peer reviewed and published survey that dedicated men and women could change their sexual orientation. The backlash from both the LGBT community and his own peers was so heavy, and the damage to his legacy so real, he at first defended his study, but eventually renounced it, and sought to have it removed from the journal it was published in (it wasn't). About 5 years ago I read a pro-LGBT journalist who accepted that the search for a gay gene should be acknowledged as fruitless, but that it had done it's job, that it had gotten people to believe that such a thing was probable, and that turned public policy around enough so that the LGBT community won in the end, even if it was through a lie.

And no, I don't stay away from most gays. Having been in the underground punk and goth music scenes for the last 30 years, I have many gay and trans friends and acquaintances, and have had numerous discussions with them about their lifestyle (and have also been hit on a few times). Have interviewed gay and trans people about their lifestyle for a zine I used to work on. Have even been to gay clubs or bars a time or two. People with sexual non-normative inclinations are not people I typically distance myself from (unless they're jerks, but that's true for anyone). In my experience if one were to call themselves Christian or gay in a city like Columbus, or even in smaller cities in Ohio, I guarantee you that the Christian would have a harder time being taken seriously. That might sound crazy to you, but that's the reality I live in. Now maybe if you moved over to the sticks, or more hick sections of the city that might not be quite as true, but downtown homosexuality is something you wave your flag high for. It's something people are heavily HEAVILY pro about.
    Last edited by Adrift; 06-10-2019 at 05:10 PM.

11. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Except that LGBT civil rights have significantly progressed since the time of the Stonewall riots that started it all in the '60's.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
    Well I have known and befriended a number of gays over my life, and a couple of trans. And my attitude has been to live and let live. But that is not what is happening with these activists. They are intolerant and vicious. Just disagree with their views on marriage or human sexuality or what constitutes gender and they will come after your job or business and character. They do not yet have the power to really persecute dissenters by government edict, but when they do their wickedness will reach the heavens.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...