Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Another ancient of Creation myth Psalm 74:12-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ancient of Creation myth Psalm 74:12-14

Psalm 74:12-14 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

12 For God is my King of old,
    working salvation in the midst of the earth.
    13 Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength:
    thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.
    14 Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces,
    and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-06-2019, 08:36 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

And?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      And?
      But ... but ... Who in their right minds would expect metaphor in a poetical work?
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        But ... but ... Who in their right minds would expect metaphor in a poetical work?
        Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens? Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket, or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance?

This is fun!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          And?
          Origin is Ugarit cuneiform:

Source: https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/.premium-where-did-creation-story-come-from-1.5404560

Baal and the sea monsters

The oldest creation myth in the Bible isn't in the Book of Genesis at all. It is alluded to in the Book of Isaiah, in the Book of Job and in Psalms.

The clearest and fullest biblical account of this ancient myth appears in Psalm 74: “For God... Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters. Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness. Thou didst cleave the fountain and the flood: thou driedst up mighty rivers. The day is thine, the night also is thine: thou hast prepared the light and the sun. Thou hast set all the borders of the earth: thou hast made summer and winter” (74:12-17).

An archaeological discovery made in the 20th century shed light on this strange account of creation, revealing it for what it is: an abridged version of the Canaanite creation myth.

Among the ruins of the ancient Canaanite city of Ugarit, tablets were found in a language very similar to Hebrew, recording the many myths believed by the city’s inhabitants - including that creation began with the storm god Baal vanquishing the god of the sea Yam and his sea monster-serpent-dragon helpers.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The imagery does make a call on ANE myths. Beyond that, the psalm has nothing to do with creation stories - it is a recapitulation of the deliverance story, and an expression of confidence that God will deliver his people again.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              The imagery does make a call on ANE myths. Beyond that, the psalm has nothing to do with creation stories - it is a recapitulation of the deliverance story, and an expression of confidence that God will deliver his people again.
              You are given a rather latter day interpretation which is different from the origins and what was actually written.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                You are given a rather latter day interpretation which is different from the origins and what was actually written.
                Hardly.

10 O God, how long shall the adversary reproach? shall the enemy blaspheme thy name for ever?
                11 Why withdrawest thou thy hand, even thy right hand? pluck [it] out of thy bosom.

12 For God [is] my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.
                13 Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters.
                It doesn't take a lot of thinking to work out who the dragon and leviathan symbolises. nor which sea got divided. nor to work out that the author considers the action against dragons, and leviathan, is something the author expects to be repeated.
                14 Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, [and] gavest him [to be] meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness.
                15 Thou didst cleave the fountain and the flood: thou driedst up mighty rivers.

16 The day [is] thine, the night also [is] thine: thou hast prepared the light and the sun.
                17 Thou hast set all the borders of the earth: thou hast made summer and winter.

18 Remember this, [that] the enemy hath reproached, O LORD, and [that] the foolish people have blasphemed thy name.
                19 O deliver not the soul of thy turtledove unto the multitude [of the wicked]: forget not the congregation of thy poor for ever.

Which part of the psalm is intended to be a creation story? Which part of drying up fountains, floods, and rivers recounts creation stories?
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

well considering that all mankind spread out from the time of the flood, it would be reasonable that various cultures retained some version of the creation story and that they would be similar to the bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    well considering that all mankind spread out from the time of the flood, it would be reasonable that various cultures retained some version of the creation story and that they would be similar to the bible.
                    And, given such a scenario, that a couple of these garbled renditions happen to be recorded/written down previous to what is found in the Bible is irrelevant.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And, given such a scenario, that a couple of these garbled renditions happen to be recorded/written down previous to what is found in the Bible is irrelevant.
                      yes. and even if you only believe in a local flood it still holds. People spread out from one beginning with a knowledge of God and his creation, but it got lost and distorted throughout the generations.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Atheists love the "borrowing" argument, but they never seem to realize that the borrowing could have gone the other way
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Atheists love the "borrowing" argument, but they never seem to realize that the borrowing could have gone the other way
                          The fact is that the references referred to in the article from the OT were "borrowed" from Canaanite cuneiform 'creation' texts.

Frank

Comment

The fact is that the references referred to in the article from the OT were "borrowed" from Canaanite cuneiform 'creation' texts.
                            But where did the Canaanites "borrow" from?
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As someone else said, in our worldview, memories of such a flood would be shared through the centuries. So what's your point?
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment