Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can One of our Kiwis Explain this Wedding, Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can One of our Kiwis Explain this Wedding, Please?

Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-07-2019, 11:05 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I think he's just been accepted into the tribe ... but yes, an explanation from one of the Kiwis would be welcomed.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Someone snuck jalapenos into the wedding cake.

Comment

This same ritual (or similar one) is also performed at sporting events to challenge the other team to the match.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, the All Blacks growl and thump and stick their tongues out and slap themselves, while the All Whites hold hands and watch.

Comment

Wow, some of these WOMEN remind me of some of my elementary school teachers!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              So, the All Blacks growl and thump and stick their tongues out and slap themselves, while the All Whites hold hands and watch.
              They sit around sipping tea discussing whether or not they should call the authorities and report such beastly behavior -- but really don't want to create a scene.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A Kiwi co-worker once referred to both the pigeons' mating dance and their threatening dance as "pigeon haka." There is a difference between the two, but you have to watch closely to work out which is which.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

When I watched the video in the opening post, I could only think of this...

...and this.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Someone should tell the Māori that those faces are not scary at all, but just look silly.

Comment

The All Whites are the NZ Football team (soccer for you lot).

The opposing team here is France, who normally wear navy blue, but their alternative strip is white.

the haka is, depending on context, a war dance, a welcoming, a celebration of life.
                      There are different haka's for different occasions from different tribes.
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        The All Whites are the NZ Football team (soccer for you lot).

The opposing team here is France, who normally wear navy blue, but their alternative strip is white.

the haka is, depending on context, a war dance, a welcoming, a celebration of life.
                        There are different haka's for different occasions from different tribes.
                        I'm just amazed I've managed to be six and a half decades on the planet and never encountered this.. um.... behavior... before.

Comment

I'm just amazed I've managed to be six and a half decades on the planet and never encountered this.. um.... behavior... before.
                          It's pretty common.

School boys performing a haka at their teacher's funeral

Police Officers performing a haka for Sergeant Michael Toon (who drowned trying to rescue his family's dog)

NZ Army (2/1 RNZIR Battalion) honouring fallen comrades.

A Mormon missionary being welcomed home by her family with a haka at Auckland Airport.

Prince Harry performing the haka with NZ soldiers
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Wow. It's so common now when you watch anything on New Zealand that it's gotten to the point where I've heard people complaining (and I think rightly so) that they're watering down any meaning that the haka was supposed to have. It's a Maori warrior/intimidation dance, and got popular when soccer and ruby teams started using it. It's now being practiced by other Polynesian cultures like Samoans and Tongans, and a number of other people from other ethnicities (including people from European descent) are joining in. Now you seem them performed for everything. Prom? Haka. Birthday party? Haka. Want to get big on Youtube, do a flashmob haka (basically people pretend to be going about their business in a public place, and then, SURPRISE Haka!). There are now a number of US high school and college football teams that perform the haka (including BYU). It's gotten to the point that whenever I see a group breaking into haka I can't help but think it's terribly cheesy. It's one thing if it's tied to actual native practices, and I think an exception can be made for The All Blacks who sort of brought it into public consciousness, and made it popular, but anything outside of that seems silly to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Wow. It's so common now when you watch anything on New Zealand that it's gotten to the point where I've heard people complaining (and I think rightly so) that they're watering down any meaning that the haka was supposed to have. It's a Maori warrior/intimidation dance, and got popular when soccer and ruby teams started using it. It's now being practiced by other Polynesian cultures like Samoans and Tongans, and a number of other people from other ethnicities (including people from European descent) are joining in. Now you seem them performed for everything. Prom? Haka. Birthday party? Haka. Want to get big on Youtube, do a flashmob haka (basically people pretend to be going about their business in a public place, and then, SURPRISE Haka!). There are now a number of US high school and college football teams that perform the haka (including BYU). It's gotten to the point that whenever I see a group breaking into haka I can't help but think it's terribly cheesy. It's one thing if it's tied to actual native practices, and I think an exception can be made for The All Blacks who sort of brought it into public consciousness, and made it popular, but anything outside of that seems silly to me.
                              I'm not really into watching sports other than baseball. Maybe that's why I missed it.

Comment