Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can One of our Kiwis Explain this Wedding, Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    It's pretty common.
    OK, I can fully understand why it would be used prior to a battle to scare the pants off the enemy, but what would its significance be at a funeral?

(My wife said, "maybe they're warding off evil spirits" )
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I'm not really into watching sports other than baseball. Maybe that's why I missed it.
      I hate sports, so don't watch any at all, but the haka dance has been so popular within the last, I don't know, 10-15 years that I've had a hard time avoiding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I hate sports, so don't watch any at all, but the haka dance has been so popular within the last, I don't know, 10-15 years that I've had a hard time avoiding it.
        I avoided it for you, apparently.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've been blissfully unaware of this phenomenon as well, probably because I don't watch TV outside of NFL football.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I've been blissfully unaware of this phenomenon as well, probably because I don't watch TV outside of NFL football.
            Weird. I don't have a TV either, but I still see it all the time. Maybe it's more an internet phenomenon, and you all are just not cruising the right news and social media websites or something. All I know is that I see it a lot, and have been seeing it for years and years. I mean, if BYU and Texas high schools are doing it, it's gotta be pretty widely known.

Comment

I, too, have never heard of it. The BYU connection is easy to envision as the LDS church has a strong presence among Pacific islanders, who are disproportionately represented among the general football player population for whatever reason. (I find this ironic as one would think the strong LDS stance against gluttony, which even extends toward discouraging meat eating, would discourage the type of body shaping one would need to play football.)
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Wow. It's so common now when you watch anything on New Zealand that it's gotten to the point where I've heard people complaining (and I think rightly so) that they're watering down any meaning that the haka was supposed to have. It's a Maori warrior/intimidation dance, and got popular when soccer and ruby teams started using it. It's now being practiced by other Polynesian cultures like Samoans and Tongans, and a number of other people from other ethnicities (including people from European descent) are joining in. Now you seem them performed for everything. Prom? Haka. Birthday party? Haka. Want to get big on Youtube, do a flashmob haka (basically people pretend to be going about their business in a public place, and then, SURPRISE Haka!). There are now a number of US high school and college football teams that perform the haka (including BYU). It's gotten to the point that whenever I see a group breaking into haka I can't help but think it's terribly cheesy. It's one thing if it's tied to actual native practices, and I think an exception can be made for The All Blacks who sort of brought it into public consciousness, and made it popular, but anything outside of that seems silly to me.
                As common as you may think it is over there, it's way more common here. Especially as all schools have kapa haka groups competing against each other, and the haka is performed at funerals, weddings, sporting events, and many other public events.

School Kapa Haka champions last year

Interhouse Haka competition at my daughters school last year. (yes the school houses are named after missionaries)

And a haka to farewell the Bethlehem College Year 13 students last year
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

As common as you may think it is over there, it's way more common here. Especially as all schools have kapa haka groups competing against each other, and the haka is performed at funerals, weddings, sporting events, and many other public events.

School Kapa Haka champions last year

Interhouse Haka competition at my daughters school last year. (yes the school houses are named after missionaries)

And a haka to farewell the Bethlehem College Year 13 students last year
                  Are they concerned about burnout by the public, or watering down the traditional intended uses of the dances? Looks like in the weird Fast and the Furious spin-off movie with Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson, Dwayne Johnson's family is supposed to be Samoan (Johnson is half-Samoan in real life), and there's a short haka in the trailer. At some point you'd think some of the elders would be lamenting the commercialization of their sacred/traditional practices. Or maybe not, and they're happy for the exposure?

Comment

The first time I saw a haka, it scared me...I thought the guys were freaking out on something. But yeah, it's been on the news a few times and I've seen a few YouTube videos showing hakas.

I agree it's become less exclusive, less special, but is that a bad thing? I don't know.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Are they concerned about burnout by the public, or watering down the traditional intended uses of the dances? Looks like in the weird Fast and the Furious spin-off movie with Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson, Dwayne Johnson's family is supposed to be Samoan (Johnson is half-Samoan in real life), and there's a short haka in the trailer. At some point you'd think some of the elders would be lamenting the commercialization of their sacred/traditional practices. Or maybe not, and they're happy for the exposure?
                      It's a fairly large and integral part of Maori culture. They're not doing for public exposure.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

It's a fairly large and integral part of Maori culture. They're not doing for public exposure.
                        So they don't really feel it's being exploited by commercial interests or appropriated by outsiders? And by public exposure, I meant mostly, are they maybe instead happy that Maori traditions are becoming more recognized outside of the local culture?

Comment

So they don't really feel it's being exploited by commercial interests or appropriated by outsiders? And by public exposure, I meant mostly, are they maybe instead happy that Maori traditions are becoming more recognized outside of the local culture?
                          Don't get me wrong, the hakas used in movies etc. are normally copyrighted and paid for.

The various Iwis (tribes) view the different hakas as their intellectual property (the words and the movements and actions are different for the different hakas) and make sure commercial use is paid for.

But as a whole it's become basically Kiwi culture rather than just Maori culture, and the Maori elders (who are not a really unified bunch, but do agree on this mostly) see it as entrenching Maori culture within Kiwi culture which they don't see as a bad thing.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the hakas used in movies etc. are normally copyrighted and paid for.

The various Iwis (tribes) view the different hakas as their intellectual property (the words and the movements and actions are different for the different hakas) and make sure commercial use is paid for.

But as a whole it's become basically Kiwi culture rather than just Maori culture, and the Maori elders (who are not a really unified bunch, but do agree on this mostly) see it as entrenching Maori culture within Kiwi culture which they don't see as a bad thing.
                            I'm glad I started this thread - this has been quite educational, Raph. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I'm glad I started this thread - this has been quite educational, Raph. Thank you.
                              @CP, I can further your education if you come for a visit.......see if you can call it a Missions Trip......

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

No Bartle?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment