Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Facebook doesn't like Christian theology conferences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook doesn't like Christian theology conferences.

The ministry Rethinking Hell is hosting an academic conference this summer on debating the nature of hell at Pastor Wade Burleson's church in Oklahoma. They were buying Facebook ads to promote the conference.

The ministry's Facebook advertising account got shut down, and they appealed it. The reviewers told them that Facebook has community standards and (I'm paraphrasing) that the account does not act in the best interest of its users or keeping it safe, and that the decision was final; no appeal possible. I don't know if it's the word "hell" that set it off, or the fire and brimstone image in one of the ads. However, distasteful as people might find it, hell is a part of the dominant religion in the United States (even if this conference promotes a minority view of it).

This is the way things are going for Christians on Silicon Valley. Be prepared.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The ministry Rethinking Hell is hosting an academic conference this summer on debating the nature of hell at Pastor Wade Burleson's church in Oklahoma. They were buying Facebook ads to promote the conference.

The ministry's Facebook advertising account got shut down, and they appealed it. The reviewers told them that Facebook has community standards and (I'm paraphrasing) that the account does not act in the best interest of its users or keeping it safe, and that the decision was final; no appeal possible. I don't know if it's the word "hell" that set it off, or the fire and brimstone image in one of the ads. However, distasteful as people might find it, hell is a part of the dominant religion in the United States (even if this conference promotes a minority view of it).

This is the way things are going for Christians on Silicon Valley. Be prepared.
    I think the Christian community as a whole needs to be more aggressive in fighting this sort of thing by suing organizations like Facebook more frequently. It's not okay to discriminate against Christians just because we're increasingly in the minority. And that's what a lot of this liberal BS is. Calling things "hate speech" when Christians quote the Bible on homosexuality and whatnot is just stupid. The secular liberal crowd is increasingly unwilling to make fine distinctions with regard to how Christians practice their religion and are too quick to assume the worst motive for any action or statement. It increasingly looks like anti-Christian bigotry when practitioners of other religions are treated more respectfully than Christians are.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
      I think the Christian community as a whole needs to be more aggressive in fighting this sort of thing by suing organizations like Facebook more frequently. It's not okay to discriminate against Christians just because we're increasingly in the minority. And that's what a lot of this liberal BS is. Calling things "hate speech" when Christians quote the Bible on homosexuality and whatnot is just stupid. The secular liberal crowd is increasingly unwilling to make fine distinctions with regard to how Christians practice their religion and are too quick to assume the worst motive for any action or statement. It increasingly looks like anti-Christian bigotry when practitioners of other religions are treated more respectfully than Christians are.
      I doubt that suing them will go anywhere until and unless laws are changed.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        I doubt that suing them will go anywhere until and unless laws are changed.
        Probably, but it's more about not being a doormat.
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

We all know that Facebook is a private company, but there's something to the idea that it may be an oligopoly (if not a monopoly) at this point in time. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have such strangeholds over the public flow of information at this point in time that I would argue it is in the public interest for the government to treat it as a utility in some ways.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

We all know that Facebook is a private company, but there's something to the idea that it may be an oligopoly (if not a monopoly) at this point in time. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have such strangeholds over the public flow of information at this point in time that I would argue it is in the public interest for the government to treat it as a utility in some ways.
            I don't disagree here entirely. However I truly hope that if facebook is investigated they find it a monopoly and break it up.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Michael Knowles over at Daily Wire expressed the problem better than I could. Basically, Facebook sometimes gets to claim to be a "platform," other times a "publisher," and so gets the best of both worlds in avoiding gov't oversight.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

But if they are discriminating against some based on religion, doesn't that fall under the Civil Rights act? They are refusing service to someone based on religion, which private businesses can't do.

Comment

Christians need to dump Facebook entirely. I'm considering it again. There's certainly some good there, but, going to a platform that doesn't inhibit Christian free speech and doesn't sell your data to outside sources is something we should all consider.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    Christians need to dump Facebook entirely. I'm considering it again. There's certainly some good there, but, going to a platform that doesn't inhibit Christian free speech and doesn't sell your data to outside sources is something we should all consider.
                    Theologyweb!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Theologyweb!
                      Interesting thought. Could TWeb withstand a per-user thread that only the "owner" could post to?
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        Interesting thought. Could TWeb withstand a per-user thread that only the "owner" could post to?
                        Our new software will have a blog page for each user. IF we can ever get it running. You can basically blog all you want. We used to have something like it here, but we had to kill it because spammers found a way to exploit it.

But in my opinion, that is one of the failings of Facebook. You can't have a decent discussion on the site, because of the formatting and the fact that everything ends up on one huge timeline page.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Our new software will have a blog page for each user. IF we can ever get it running. You can basically blog all you want. We used to have something like it here, but we had to kill it because spammers found a way to exploit it.

But in my opinion, that is one of the failings of Facebook. You can't have a decent discussion on the site, because of the formatting and the fact that everything ends up on one huge timeline page.
                          Ah- the old Webchat was a site whose passing is mourned by many.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Ah- the old Webchat was a site whose passing is mourned by many.
                            Not sure I remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              Pretty much have. The ONLY reason I even have an account is because of the crash earlier this decade. Otherwise I would never have started one.

And apologies to all those who asked me to "friend" them and got ignored. I just don't go there enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment