Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook doesn't like Christian theology conferences.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Facebook doesn't like Christian theology conferences.

The ministry Rethinking Hell is hosting an academic conference this summer on debating the nature of hell at Pastor Wade Burleson's church in Oklahoma. They were buying Facebook ads to promote the conference.

The ministry's Facebook advertising account got shut down, and they appealed it. The reviewers told them that Facebook has community standards and (I'm paraphrasing) that the account does not act in the best interest of its users or keeping it safe, and that the decision was final; no appeal possible. I don't know if it's the word "hell" that set it off, or the fire and brimstone image in one of the ads. However, distasteful as people might find it, hell is a part of the dominant religion in the United States (even if this conference promotes a minority view of it).

This is the way things are going for Christians on Silicon Valley. Be prepared.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The ministry Rethinking Hell is hosting an academic conference this summer on debating the nature of hell at Pastor Wade Burleson's church in Oklahoma. They were buying Facebook ads to promote the conference.

The ministry's Facebook advertising account got shut down, and they appealed it. The reviewers told them that Facebook has community standards and (I'm paraphrasing) that the account does not act in the best interest of its users or keeping it safe, and that the decision was final; no appeal possible. I don't know if it's the word "hell" that set it off, or the fire and brimstone image in one of the ads. However, distasteful as people might find it, hell is a part of the dominant religion in the United States (even if this conference promotes a minority view of it).

This is the way things are going for Christians on Silicon Valley. Be prepared.
    I think the Christian community as a whole needs to be more aggressive in fighting this sort of thing by suing organizations like Facebook more frequently. It's not okay to discriminate against Christians just because we're increasingly in the minority. And that's what a lot of this liberal BS is. Calling things "hate speech" when Christians quote the Bible on homosexuality and whatnot is just stupid. The secular liberal crowd is increasingly unwilling to make fine distinctions with regard to how Christians practice their religion and are too quick to assume the worst motive for any action or statement. It increasingly looks like anti-Christian bigotry when practitioners of other religions are treated more respectfully than Christians are.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    I think the Christian community as a whole needs to be more aggressive in fighting this sort of thing by suing organizations like Facebook more frequently. It's not okay to discriminate against Christians just because we're increasingly in the minority. And that's what a lot of this liberal BS is. Calling things "hate speech" when Christians quote the Bible on homosexuality and whatnot is just stupid. The secular liberal crowd is increasingly unwilling to make fine distinctions with regard to how Christians practice their religion and are too quick to assume the worst motive for any action or statement. It increasingly looks like anti-Christian bigotry when practitioners of other religions are treated more respectfully than Christians are.
    I doubt that suing them will go anywhere until and unless laws are changed.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I doubt that suing them will go anywhere until and unless laws are changed.
    Probably, but it's more about not being a doormat.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We all know that Facebook is a private company, but there's something to the idea that it may be an oligopoly (if not a monopoly) at this point in time. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have such strangeholds over the public flow of information at this point in time that I would argue it is in the public interest for the government to treat it as a utility in some ways.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We all know that Facebook is a private company, but there's something to the idea that it may be an oligopoly (if not a monopoly) at this point in time. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have such strangeholds over the public flow of information at this point in time that I would argue it is in the public interest for the government to treat it as a utility in some ways.
    I don't disagree here entirely. However I truly hope that if facebook is investigated they find it a monopoly and break it up.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Michael Knowles over at Daily Wire expressed the problem better than I could. Basically, Facebook sometimes gets to claim to be a "platform," other times a "publisher," and so gets the best of both worlds in avoiding gov't oversight.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

8. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But if they are discriminating against some based on religion, doesn't that fall under the Civil Rights act? They are refusing service to someone based on religion, which private businesses can't do.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Christians need to dump Facebook entirely. I'm considering it again. There's certainly some good there, but, going to a platform that doesn't inhibit Christian free speech and doesn't sell your data to outside sources is something we should all consider.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Christians need to dump Facebook entirely. I'm considering it again. There's certainly some good there, but, going to a platform that doesn't inhibit Christian free speech and doesn't sell your data to outside sources is something we should all consider.
    Theologyweb!