Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Facebook doesn't like Christian theology conferences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    Does it? I thought the Civil Rights Act was about stuff like getting service in places like restaurants, hotels, and movie theaters. I don't think it applies to anything online.

There might be some other law that covers it, though.
    There is a circuit split with regard to whether a webpage may be a public accommodation under the ADA. The Civil Rights Act has even narrower categories for accommodations.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
      There is a circuit split with regard to whether a webpage may be a public accommodation under the ADA. The Civil Rights Act has even narrower categories for accommodations.
      I would think it would depend on the scope of the website. Something small like theologyweb would have more room to "discriminate" (even though we make it a point that everyone is welcome as members here, we also reserve the right to ban anyone we want for any reason) than something as popular as Twitter or Facebook which have almost taken on the mantle of an Internet Utility, like the phone company. Just about everyone uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I would think it would depend on the scope of the website. Something small like theologyweb would have more room to "discriminate" (even though we make it a point that everyone is welcome as members here, we also reserve the right to ban anyone we want for any reason) than something as popular as Twitter or Facebook which have almost taken on the mantle of an Internet Utility, like the phone company. Just about everyone uses them.
        The Civil Rights Act has explicit and narrow categories, which is the problem. No kind of webpage falls into its categories. Furthermore, the ADA by some circuits has been read to require a physical location for public accommodations purposes (though some, like the First Circuit, read public accommodations as broad). You're better off looking at other regulations, or state regulations (even in that arena, it can be very dicey -- the D.C. District Court just read the D.C. Human Rights Act or w/e to not include internet sites). This is a topic I've been following, so trust me on this one. It's not clear and there's little case law.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

what do young kids use?

I hear twitter is kind of dying out too.
          Snapchat is popular I hear amongst the younger crowd...though all my kids are older...(my youngest is 23)
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            Snapchat is popular I hear amongst the younger crowd...though all my kids are older...(my youngest is 23)
            But that is just a person to person app. What do they use for group social media?

Comment

But that is just a person to person app. What do they use for group social media?
              Instagram maybe?
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                Instagram maybe?
                That's part of facebook. and its just sharing photos.

I don't know of any serious contender to facebook.

Comment