Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Posted this while the Ferguson shooting was still hot

And the Washington Times ran this shortly after:

Source: Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage

Nobel Prize-winning novelist Toni Morrison says she wants to see an officer shoot an unarmed white teenager in the back before agreeing that the “conversation about race” is over, but she almost certainly already has received her wish.

An analysis released last week shows that more white people died at the hands of law enforcement than those of any other race in the last two years, even as the Justice Department, social-justice groups and media coverage focus on black victims of police force.

Meanwhile, the deaths of whites at the hands of law enforcement typically receive less attention, even when the case is shrouded in controversy. For example, Gilbert Collar, an 18-year-old white student at the University of South Alabama, was shot and killed while naked, unarmed and under the influence of drugs by a black police officer.

The officer, Trevis Austin, was cleared of wrongdoing in 2013 by a Mobile County grand jury in a case that received little media coverage outside Alabama. Mr. Collar’s parents filed a federal lawsuit last year against the officer.

As researchers are quick to point out, FBI data on police shootings by race is notoriously incomplete, which may explain why Peter Moskos, assistant professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York, decided to use figures from the website Killed by Police.

Based on that data, Mr. Moskos reported that roughly 49 percent of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 were white, while 30 percent were black. He also found that 19 percent were Hispanic and 2 percent were Asian and other races.

His results, posted last week on his blog Cop in the Hood, arrived with several caveats, notably that 25 percent of the website’s data, which is drawn largely from news reports, failed to show the race of the person killed.

Killed by Police lists every death, justified or not, including those in which the officer had been wounded or acted in self-defense.

“The data doesn’t indicate which shootings are justified (the vast majority) and which are cold-blooded murder (not many, but some). And maybe that would vary by race. I don’t know, but I doubt it,” Mr. Moskos said on his blog.

Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

“If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

“Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

Mr. Moskos listed two possible reasons for the racial disparity. The first is that police assigned to largely black neighborhoods face “more political fallout when they shoot, and thus receive better training and are less inclined to shoot.”

The second is that police assigned to black communities with high crime rates are more accustomed to dangerous situations and thus are more likely to be able to resolve them without resort to lethal force.

Figures on police shootings by race are thin on the ground, but Mr. Moskos’s results have some support: The investigative journalism website ProPublica came up with a similar percentage in an Oct. 10 article, reporting that 44 percent of all those killed by police were white, using FBI data from 1980 to 2012.

The fact-checking website PolitiFact concluded in August 2014 that police kill more whites than blacks after the claim was made by conservative commentator Michael Medved. PolitiFact cited data from the Centers for Disease Control on fatal injuries by “legal intervention” from 1999 to 2011.

“Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. In that respect, Medved is correct,” said PolitiFact.

But PolitiFact gave his assertion a “half true” rating because whites make up 63 percent of the population, while blacks make up just 12 percent.

“Yes, more whites than blacks die as a result of an encounter with police, but whites also represent a much bigger chunk of the total population,” PolitiFact said in its Aug. 21 post.

But PolitiFact did not take into account the percentage of those by race involved in violent crime or shootings of police, as Mr. Moskos did.

Despite the recent flood of media coverage involving police shootings, Mr. Moskos advised his readers to “keep all this morbidity in perspective,” reminding them that very few people, white or black, will ever be shot or killed by police.

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Wrt the last statistic, a recent study that a black person living in Chicago has an 1.13 in 1000 chance of being shot. Period. Funny how groups like Black Lives Matter and liberal politicians aren't up in arms (no pun intended) about this. But then they can't blame whites, or the police or give their typical knee jerk reaction of demanding stricter gun control since Chicago already has some of the toughest gun laws in the country.
    Your agenda is still ignoring the history why the condition of the black community arrived at its present state today considering your agenda it is easy for you to ignore it, and accuse the Black community for being responsible.

. . . and all this ignores the issue of racism in law enforcement by blaming the victims.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      No, but they are much more prominent in black communities with 70% homes fatherless. As far as the the gangster culture you don't see these kinds of drive by shootings and gang wars in poor white neighborhoods. You did though during the 20s-30s with the Italian gangs.
      So if they are not specific to the black culture, why identify the people by skin color rather than gang affiliation or single-parent homes?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Right and your boys have two loving parents, and that makes all the difference - rich, poor white or black... It is the family...
        Then make it about the family - and not the color of the skin...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You actually have official crime stats for this? Or is this another one of your infamous hypotheticals?
          I don't need them. The math is kind of inescapable. As Seer noted, if crimes are broken down by race, there is no question there is proportionately more crime committed by black and Hispanic people than white people. Pretty much all black and Hispanic people have black hair. White people have a wide array of hair colors, including black. If people with non-black hair are almost exclusively white, then the crime distribution I suggested pretty much follows.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          But the fact remains, blacks in America are disproportionately more likely to commit crime. Make of it what you will.
          I have already responded to this. I am not arguing the fact. I am pointing out the social impact of continually linking violence to skin color, when skin color has nothing to do with violence.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Well...

A blonde, out of money, and down on her luck after buying air at a real bargain, needed money desperately. To raise cash, she decided to kidnap a child and hold him for ransom. She went to the local playground, grabbed a kid randomly, took her behind a building, and told her, "I've kidnapped you." She then wrote a big note saying, "I've kidnapped your kid. Tomorrow morning, put $10,000 in a paper bag and leave it under the apple tree next to the slides, on the south side of the playground. Signed, A blonde." The blonde then pinned the note to the kid's shirt and sent him home to show it to his parents. The next morning, the blonde checked, and sure enough, a paper bag was sitting beneath the apple tree. The blonde looked in the bag and found the $10,000 with a note that said, "How could you do this to a fellow blonde?"
            Now THAT was funny...

Do you know what goes vroooom...schreeeeech...vroooom...schreeeeech...vr oooom...schreeeeech...vroooom...schreeeeech...vroo oom...schreeeeech...?

Wait...

...for...

...it....

A blonde at a blinking red light.

Comment

The information/advice is really good, but being Chris Rock there is going to be profanity every other sentence.

Still. It is funny.
              I can't get a handle on his politics. He seems to be an equal opportunity offender, but I wouldn't be surprised if he leans conservative.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                From what I recall, carpe virtue-signals by admitting that he's unavoidably racist because he's Caucasian, but tries to consciously mitigate his racism.
                I am not unavoidably racist because I am Caucasion - I am unavoidably racist (to some degree) because I have grown up in a culture where racism is part of the fabric of our society. It is endemic to many of our day-to-day institutions. It takes a conscious effort to identify the ways in which that racism has become part of my psyche, and strive to undo it.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                We'd be morally upstanding like him if only we'd do the same; since we're in denial, however, we have no moral leg to stand on.
                I think anyone is making a good choice to consciously look for racism in their attitudes and behavior, subconscious or otherwise. I also think everyone is making a good choice if they do not steal, if they do not randomly kill other people, and if they do not lie. If that's "virtue signaling," I can live with it.

Comment

But, but he is a moral relativist...

And subjectivist!

Psstt... we ALL are in our behavior!

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    That just means his morals are relatively better than ours....

That is not a claim I have ever made. Indeed, I eschew those kinds of comparisons. If one cannot argue for the morality of a position without engaging in "virtue signaling," then the inevitable result is we are all "virtue signaling."

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      ...I also think everyone is making a good choice if they do not steal, if they do not randomly kill other people...
                      If I am targeted in my killing, am I good?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Again. again and again poverty is not the issue, race is the issue. There have been many incidents of racial profiling and unwarranted violence against blacks that were not poor.

Your 'racist' accusations need a better explanation
                        To be fair, I don't think anyone here is being consciously racist - or intending to do harm. There are simply turns of phrase that have become commonplace in our culture. Most of us use them at one time or another. "Blacks are more violent" is an example of one of those statements we toss around without much thought about the social impact of associating violence with blackness.

If we continually said, "black-haired people are more violent," eventually society would begin to look askance at black-haired people. Those who are weaker or more afraid by nature would cross the street when a black-haired person approaches. Many would watch that black-haired person closely, expecting them to be likely to do something violent. People would begin consciously or subconsciously putting the resume of the black-haired person aside more quickly than that of people with hair of a different color. AirBnB hosts and Lyft drivers would deny a higher proportion of rentals and rides to black-haired people. Black-haired AirBnB hosts would see a lower proportion of renters choosing their properties. These are all realities that have been documented for the black community. They are not solely rooted in the phrase "black people are more violent;" that is only one of many things in our culture that create those realities. But if we worked to stomp them all out, imagine how much more equitable life would be for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Your wall of text aside, when a white officer has to confront a black subject, the officer is not thinking about the socioeconomic status of the subject, or whether he's been "Jim Crowed" - he's thinking "if I have to shoot this guy, it's gonna really hit the fan" - not because the guy comes from a "poor" background, but because the media is going to jump all over "white cop shoots (or kills) black man". Them are the facts, Jack.

Fix that.
                          I consider that a "good thing." Frankly, any office who is thinking about pulling that trigger should be thinking pretty hard about the ramifications, whatever the skin color of the suspect.

But I agree that having to think differently because they are black versus white is not a desirable thing. So to fix that, we need to root out racism in the police force, and ensure that any cop on the beat does not have a hint of racism to their history, their private life, or their public life. We need to make sure that a black person and a white person, charged with the same crime under similar circumstances, is treated identically by the system. We need to stop criminalizing drug use and focus on drug distribution, getting the people who are using the medical help they need, and putting the distributors in jail. We need to eliminate anti-marijuana laws, treat it as we do alcohol, and release the sea of people in jail (some for life) on nothing more than being caught with a couple of reefers.

That would be a good start.

Comment

Actually, multiple studies have shown that a white person stands a considerably higher chance of getting shot by a police officer during a confrontation than does a black person. This has been demonstrated often enough now that researchers are now turning to investigate why that is (several theories).
                            I'd be curious to examine those studies. Do you have links?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              They are easier to see in the dark?

My eldest soon gave my youngest son a piece of advice, many years ago. He said, "Michael, when we are playing hide-and-seek at night, we have an advantage over dad. We can hide right out in the open - as long as we keep our eyes shut and don't smile!"

There was this long moment of silence, and then we all broke up laughing.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                I consider that a "good thing." Frankly, any office who is thinking about pulling that trigger should be thinking pretty hard about the ramifications, whatever the skin color of the suspect.
                                But that's the point - There's enough going on in a "shoot / don't shoot" decision without adding politics and optics. He needs to be singularly focused on the threat assessment and his response.

But I agree that having to think differently because they are black versus white is not a desirable thing.
                                It can be a deadly thing.

So to fix that, we need to root out racism in the police force, and ensure that any cop on the beat does not have a hint of racism to their history, their private life, or their public life.
                                Why do you automatically jump to only one side of the equation? How bout some education on the other side, too, that this is a deadly situation, and requires the cooperation of BOTH individuals - the officer AND the subject.

We need to make sure that a black person and a white person, charged with the same crime under similar circumstances, is treated identically by the system.
                                No argument here!

We need to stop criminalizing drug use and focus on drug distribution, getting the people who are using the medical help they need, and putting the distributors in jail. We need to eliminate anti-marijuana laws, treat it as we do alcohol, and release the sea of people in jail (some for life) on nothing more than being caught with a couple of reefers.

That would be a good start.
                                If we took all the lawyers in the world, and laid them head to toe around the equator -- THAT would be a good start!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment