Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson.

Still doesn't change the fact that blacks commit disproportionately more crimes than other racial groups. Now here's the thing you're not considering: this isn't an inevitability of history.
    It does not change the facts that the history of racism is a major contributing factor in the crime and poverty. It appears from the above response you accept this. If you do not accept this, like seer, you are attributing this to the fact that they are black.

Blacks as individuals and as a group can make different decisions
    . . . but it is well documented that the blacks of the USA have been deprived of the same benefits as whites as previous described throughout US history, because of racism.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      It does not change the facts that the history of racism is a major contributing factor in the crime and poverty. It appears from the above response you accept this. If you do not accept this, like seer, you are attributing this to the fact that they are black.

. . . but it is well documented that the blacks of the USA have been deprived of the same benefits as whites as previous described throughout US history, because of racism.
      And in the present ... how much of this deprivation of benefit can be attributed to their own racist attitudes?
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

If you do not accept this, like seer, you are attributing this to the fact that they are black.
        You are a liar Shuny, I never said any such thing.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Sorry, but "not enough opportunity" hasn't been a valid excuse for decades.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            And in the present ... how much of this deprivation of benefit can be attributed to their own racist attitudes?
            First, it is important if not critical that the history of generation of deprivation due to racism has led to the present. The denial of blacks access to the GI Bill including home loans and education has an impact for generations. The discrimination against black farmers for farm loans by the USDA lasted for generation up until very recent history. An estimated 44,000 farmers lost their farms. This is not old history discrimination and only one example.

[cite=https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bj349a/black-farmers-are-being-forced-off-their-land-by-longstanding-government-discrimination]

Black Farmers Are Being Forced Off Their Land by Longstanding Government Discrimination

“The unfair treatment of black farmers went under the radar for many, many years. It was not taken up by the civil rights movement, and it should have been front and center.”

Michael Stovall’s history with farming has been full of turmoil and trouble. A fourth-generation Alabama farmer with decades of experience raising cattle, he should have been poised for success as he got ready to start his own farm, with about 60 cows, in Tennessee in the early 90s. Instead, according to Stovall, he faced not just systemic discrimination as he worked with the USDA to try to obtain startup loans for his business, but even vandalism of his property over the years as he fought back against the loan denial decisions that he attributed to the color of his skin.

Like approximately 44,000 farmers in the U.S. today, Stovall is black. While farming in this country has historically been the domain of people of color—in 1920, for example, blacks made up 14 percent of all the farmers in the nation and worked 16 million acres of land—that tradition has eroded over recent decades as black farmers have struggled to hold onto their farms, often passed down through multiple generations. Today, black farmers make up less than two percent of the farming population in the country. This is the result, farmers and their advocates say, of active discrimination at every level—but particularly from the USDA, the governmental agency that is key to funding farmers and keeping them in business. The agency has been accused of longstanding bias against black farmers that has challenged the model of black farming in the U.S. and rubbed out traditions that have persisted since Emancipation.

“It’s not right for black farmers, it’s really not,” says Stovall. His story begins in Alabama four generations ago, with his great-grandfather Charlie. The elder Stovall, Michael recounts, was the son of the slave master and, partially due to his light skin, was able to amass 1,000 acres of land after he was freed. At his death, he bequeathed the land to his many grandchildren, leaving each boy 100 acres and each girl 50 acres. Today, though, only about half that land remains in the Stovall family.

Growing up on his parents’ farm in Alabama, Michael Stovall gained plenty of experience, and found that his particular interest lay in raising cows. In 1993, he set out to start his own farm, but the process was fraught from the beginning. A 1994 application for a farm ownership loan of $200,000 filed with the USDA was denied on the basis that Stovall didn’t have enough farming experience—this after many years living and working on his parents’ cattle operation.

“I growed up on a farm my whole life and they say I don’t have farm experience? That don’t make sense,” Stovall recalls.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment