Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Facebook is not a private place for personal private conversations. It is not a place for anonymous communications unless one greatly limits access.
    If you saw my facebook page you would not see anything but my profile picture. You can't even see my friends list.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    There is no question that blacks are more violent than whites, by a large degree (whatever the reason). And that probably accounts for why there is more violent interaction with cops.
    It has calmed down now, but for a while, we had quite a number of incidents where an officer would stop a vehicle, and a male black occupant would emerge (even after being told to stay in the vehicle) in a menacing way, approaching the officer yelling "Shoot me, you [person who has unwanted sex with a female parent], SHOOT ME!"

We have a number of black officers, one of whom is a shift commander, and the officers developed a "code maroon" where a black officer (preferably a shift commander) would show up on the scene and offer to take the offender to jail if the offender didn't calm down and cooperate. Meanwhile, the officer would explain to the subject that his bodycam was operating, and the recording would be retained for any subsequent legal challenges. Apparently, word got out, cause these incidents stopped about as quickly as they began.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It has calmed down now, but for a while, we had quite a number of incidents where an officer would stop a vehicle, and a male black occupant would emerge (even after being told to stay in the vehicle) in a menacing way, approaching the officer yelling "Shoot me, you [person who has unwanted sex with a female parent], SHOOT ME!"

We have a number of black officers, one of whom is a shift commander, and the officers developed a "code maroon" where a black officer (preferably a shift commander) would show up on the scene and offer to take the offender to jail if the offender didn't calm down and cooperate. Meanwhile, the officer would explain to the subject that his bodycam was operating, and the recording would be retained for any subsequent legal challenges. Apparently, word got out, cause these incidents stopped about as quickly as they began.
    Body Cams are needed - why doesn't the ACLU want them?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Didn't know they didn't want them.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Didn't know they didn't want them.
    Me neither either.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Privacy issues, most likely.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know there was a big resistance, at first, from police officers to bodycams -- like "I'm being spied on" -- but after a number of officers were cleared of false allegations by their bodycam footage, that changed pretty quickly.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    According to a critique article in Lawenforcementtoday.com:

Source: Lawenforcementtoday.com

A “report” was just released that “proved” cops are racist. There’s only one problem with it. It’s a load of B.S.

© Copyright Original Source

The article claims that the total number of Law enforcement posters found to be posting something that was or could be construed as racist was 400....even assuming all were active officers that's 400 out of approx. 900,000 officers....so, nothing to see here...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    Just FYI, a friend of mine whose half white and half black was pulled on a highway and the officer let her go. She was doing nothing wrong. My husband tells me that in that same region, a police officer openly admitted to profiling and just pulling random blacks over because they were black
    She wasn't doing anything wrong, according to her. I don't know your friend, so I'll let you be the judge of her credibility. But do you know how many times I've had people shout at me that they 'weren't doing anything wrong' when I stopped them? It happens so often it's normally unremarkable. Sometimes, I didn't have much to do and decided to see what I could get into. So I'd start pulling people for having tag or brake lights out, having a license plate cover, having their tag mounted at a slight angle (statute says it must horizontal), having a crack in their windshield, speeding at like 6 mph over the limit, failure to maintain lane control, or any number of minor motor vehicle violations. An officer who is familiar with motor vehicle laws in my state can find a reason to pull over dang near anyone if he looks hard enough. But ask any of those people who complained about my stopping them, and they 'weren't doing anything wrong', despite the fact that there was a legitimate violation. They perceive the stop differently.

Story time again. I once pulled over someone who works for the same government I do, but a different department. He was driving 19 mph over the posted speed limit (I used to write anyone doing 15 or more over, and if traffic or environmental factors were worse, sometimes as low as 11 over), and I had the radar locked and pulled out of from my hiding spot before he was even 100 yards from me. I couldn't even tell what kind of car it was, let alone the demographics of the driver by that point. Once I got him stopped, I got a bunch of smart questions about when the speed limit changed (answer: more than four years prior, and he drives the same route 1-3 times per week to go to church).

But...he was a black guy driving in a mostly white neighborhood. I asked him to do me a favor and slow down, then gave him a written warning. By the time I got back to the office (about 8 minutes after clearing the stop), he had already called his pastor, who called my supervisor to complain about the stop. Heck, this was almost 7 years ago and the man still won't even say hi to me when I see him at work, and I cut him a break. That is, unfortunately, the attitude of many people of color I've dealt with. It doesn't matter that they were breaking the law, it matters that they're black -- and that's the version they're telling all their friends and family. I have many more examples of this.

That said, you'll notice that even above, I didn't say I'd NEVER seen racism at play in my work. I just said it didn't happen often and that I rarely see it (I think I said it was "difficult to see").
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    According to a critique article in Lawenforcementtoday.com:

Source: Lawenforcementtoday.com

A “report” was just released that “proved” cops are racist. There’s only one problem with it. It’s a load of B.S.

© Copyright Original Source

There is no competent reliable report that 'proves' anything of the sort.

The article claims that the total number of Law enforcement posters found to be posting something that was or could be construed as racist was 400....even assuming all were active officers that's 400 out of approx. 900,000 officers....so, nothing to see here...
    This is only one peice of the evidence of the on going problem of racism in law enforcement. No, there is no assumption here in any of the competentent references stating; 'law enforcement is racist.'
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.