Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-officers-nationwide-alleged-racist-violent-social-media-posts-plain-view-project-2019-06-07/

The Philadelphia Police Department is joining other law enforcement agencies nationwide in reviewing hundreds of police officers' alleged racist and violent social media posts. Authorities say 10 officers have been placed on desk duty after the initial review, CBS Philadelphia reported.

Hundreds of Philadelphia Police officers, even some high-ranking lieutenants and sergeants, are taking heat over the posts on Facebook. "What we have been told and read is both frustrating and disappointing," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross said.

The comments were collected by researchers with the Plain View Project, which spent two years looking at the personal Facebook accounts of police from Arizona to Florida. In 2016, Philly-based attorneys began compiling Facebook posts from current and former officers in departments across the country.

The Dallas Police Department is working with the project's leader and going over each post to see if department policy was violated, a spokeswoman told The Associated Press.

Ekram Haque, interim executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations Dallas/Fort Worth chapter, condemned some of the posts as Islamophobic and racist.

The Dallas Police Department should denounce the posts and assure city residents "of all faiths and ethnicities that they will receive professional and unbiased service from their police officers," Haque said in a statement.

Dallas Police Association President Mike Mata said some posts may merely be dark humor or have been taken out of context. But he said the department should act if something is "a shock to the conscience."

In a statement posted on Twitter, the Dallas Police Department said it is "thoroughly investigating the names and posts" listed by the Plain View Project "to determine if the officers violated the Department's Social Media Policy, or any other departmental policy." It said it will make the findings public when the investigation is complete.

"We take these matters seriously and we want to ensure the community that we will not tolerate racism, bigotry or hatred of any kind in our organization," Dallas Police said.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

It's been well known for at least 10-15 years that putting things on your social media that reflects badly on you can backfire. I cannot comprehend the stupidity of anybody who still manages to throw away their career online.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It's been well known for at least 10-15 years that putting things on your social media that reflects badly on you can backfire. I cannot comprehend the stupidity of anybody who still manages to throw away their career online.
      True, I was more concerned with the racist and violent views expressed by the law officers.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        True, I was more concerned with the racist and violent views expressed by the law officers.
        You could no doubt find similarly "racist and violent views" expressed by members of all professions. I also have my suspicions that the researchers are using a very loose definition of "racist and violent views".
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You could no doubt find similarly "racist and violent views" expressed by members of all professions.
          'No doubt'?!?!? What a rouse. If you have comparable surveys please present them. Maybe biker gangs or extreme right wing groups, separatist movements, or left wing revolutionary movements.

I also have my suspicions that the researchers are using a very loose definition of "racist and violent views".
          The accusations were specific and documented to the point that the administrations are taking disciplinary actions.

Frank

Comment

'No doubt'?!?!? What a rouse. If you have comparable surveys please present them. Maybe biker gangs or extreme right wing groups, separatist movements, or left wing revolutionary movements.

The accusations were specific and documented to the point that the administrations are taking disciplinary actions.
            Get over yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of groups where one could find similar comments on social media, though probably not other groups of people who are scrutinized as rigorously.

Also, I fully expect to see violent posts on police officers' social media. We're comfortable with violence (have to be), and sometimes...I dunno, forget....that it's violence isn't very politically correct.

The racism thing, though....well, people suck.
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
              Get over yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of groups where one could find similar comments on social media, though probably not other groups of people who are scrutinized as rigorously.

Also, I fully expect to see violent posts on police officers' social media. We're comfortable with violence (have to be), and sometimes...I dunno, forget....that it's violence isn't very politically correct.

The racism thing, though....well, people suck.
              Get over yourself. Your sure there are what?!?!?! Cite references if you fell this strongly about it. This is not just 'comments' on social media. It was strong enough that law enforcement in various cities are taking disciplinary action against the law enforcement officers.

Coherent responses with references are welcome.

Frank

Comment

Perhaps the obvious is not obvious? Since police officers can and do sometimes abuse their power, with sometimes fatal consequences, and that often officers must make life and death decisions in a split second, it is critical for the safety of the public, for the public trust, and for the officers safety that there be no obvious, publicly aired bias towards or hatred of specific races or social groups.

It interferes with their capacity to do their jobs.

It reflects badly on the good officers.

It endangers the public.

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-09-2019, 07:53 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Get over yourself. Your sure there are what?!?!?! Cite references if you fell this strongly about it. This is not just 'comments' on social media. It was strong enough that law enforcement in various cities are taking disciplinary action against the law enforcement officers.

Coherent responses with references are welcome.
                  I haven't claimed to have such research, I'm making an argument from logic. Since you seem to disagree, how about you explain why you think police officers are prone to racism and violence at a higher rate than the general population? Because that seems to me to be a very illogical assumption built on your own bias.

The fact that law enforcement admin is taking disciplinary action doesn't mean anything at all. Big city admin frequently discipline officers based on whichever direction the political wind is blowing. For example, suddenly at my agency, people are getting wrote up for using foul language. The entire Department uses foul language to one degree or another, and so do 99% of our 'clients', but the new chief doesn't much like it. So excuse me for not holding my breath over the significance of officers being disciplined.
                  Last edited by myth; 06-09-2019, 07:59 AM.
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I haven't claimed to have such research, I'm making an argument from logic. Since you seem to disagree, how about you explain why you think police officers are prone to racism and violence at a higher rate than the general population? Because that seems to me to be a very illogical assumption built on your own bias.
                    I don't think that is the point at all. As public servants with the responsibility to make split second life and death decisions, it is imperitive they not carry any intrinsic bias or hatred for specific groups of people with them as they perform their duties.

IOW, police officers need to be a subgroup that significantly exceeds the norm in terms of high moral standards and a capacity to fairly enforce the law.

Jim
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-09-2019, 08:01 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      I dont think that is the point at all. As public servants with the responsibility to make split second life and death decisions, it is imperitive they not carry any intrinsic bias or hatred for specific groups of people with them as they perform their duties.

Jim
                      I haven't argued against that. I simply expressed a lack of surprise about it, and the OP seems to disagree with me. I haven't made any arguments about how officer's social media post impact the image of their agency and affect the relationship with the community.

But since we're talking about it, it rather annoys me that my freedom of speech is severely curtailed because of my profession. I can't really talk about political issues on social media, or even publicly vent about my employer because of the perception of the public. And the Supreme Court has ruled that this reduction of 1st Amendment rights is constitutional, which is a load of crap. If I were in another profession, I would have a much higher degree to freedom to express myself publicly.

That said, I understand the reasoning behind it and generally comply because I prefer to remain employed.

Comment

I haven't argued against that. I simply expressed a lack of surprise about it, and the OP seems to disagree with me. I haven't made any arguments about how officer's social media post impact the image of their agency and affect the relationship with the community.

But since we're talking about it, it rather annoys me that my freedom of speech is severely curtailed because of my profession. I can't really talk about political issues on social media, or even publicly vent about my employer because of the perception of the public. And the Supreme Court has ruled that this reduction of 1st Amendment rights is constitutional, which is a load of crap. If I were in another profession, I would have a much higher degree to freedom to express myself publicly.

That said, I understand the reasoning behind it and generally comply because I prefer to remain employed.
                        I dont have a social media presence publically tied to who I at all because that is what is best for my job. And I have no problem with it, because that is what is best for everyone, including myself. Try to think of it as part of the sacrifice you willingly make for the good of all rather than something that is forcefully taken from you.

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-09-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

IOW, police officers need to be a subgroup that significantly exceeds the norm in terms of high moral standards and a capacity to fairly enforce the law.
                          Which brings up another point: is there a correlation between officers who made those posts and officers who exhibit the inability to carry out their duty fairly and judiciously? The article doesn't seem to say.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Which brings up another point: is there a correlation between officers who made those posts and officers who exhibit the inability to carry out their duty fairly and judiciously? The article doesn't seem to say.
                            Indeed. But disciplining such officers is about the perception of the public and police-community relations, so the individual officers' work performance doesn't really come into it.

Comment

I dont have a social media presence publically tied to who I at all because that is what is best for my job. And I have no problem with it, because that is what is best for everyone, including myself. Try to think of it as part of the sacrifice you willingly make for the good of all rather than something that is forcefully taken from you.

Jim
                              It's my choice only in the sense that a chose a low-paying profession with crappy hours in order to serve my community, and have to have my first amendment rights curtailed for the privilege of having that job. But I knew that when I signed up.

It just still seems...draconian. On a related matter (and not just related to law enforcement), I also believe that employers have too much authority to determine whether or not their employees have tattoos or facial hair. Seems like those are a form of speech, and I see little legit reason for employers to regulate them.

Comment