Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's a fact that blacks in the US commit a disproportionate percentage of all crime.
    This has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

You can whine and complain all you want about how this can be "interpreted", but it doesn't change the fact (although I do appreciate the irony of you going to great lengths to promote and reinforce a particular interpretation all the while ostensibly denouncing it). You attribute it to "blackness", which I'm still not sure what that means, but if you're referring to black culture and not genetics then I think we can agree. In which case, the solution becomes rather obvious: change the culture.
    Seer is the one that emphasised the 'blackness' as the cause of black on black crime, which again is not the subject of the thread. The subject of the thread is the problem of racism in law enforcement, and the "history" of racism that forms the foundation of this problem. All of you have ignored the "history" behind the racism.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      This has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Seer is the one that emphasised the 'blackness' as the cause of black on black crime, which again is not the subject of the thread. The subject of the thread is the problem of racism in law enforcement, and the "history" of racism that forms the foundation of this problem. All of you have ignored the "history" behind the racism.
      All of us?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Seer is the one that emphasised the 'blackness' as the cause of black on black crime
        No, he did not. This has been pointed out to you several times now and you still insist on this weird interpretation of seer's words. At this point I'm beginning to think that maybe your intentions might be malicious, rather than this simply being a misunderstanding on your part. No one else in this thread believes seer has "emphasised the 'blackness' as the cause of black on black crime", and he has himself explicitly denied that interpretation of his statements. You're the only one insisting on reading seer's words in this weird manner, even after your error has been pointed out to you several times now.

Comment

Seer is the one that emphasised the 'blackness'...
          It was in fact carpe who introduced and repeatedly emphasized the term "blackness" and then hypocritically complained about how racist the concept is. Frankly, I still don't have a good handle on what the term even means. Is it referring to culture, or genetics? I don't know.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            All of us?
            Not referring to you
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• People who see racisim around every corner and comment should probably do some self examination about their own biases.

Comment

It was in fact carpe who introduced and repeatedly emphasized the term "blackness" and then hypocritically complained about how racist the concept is. Frankly, I still don't have a good handle on what the term even means. Is it referring to culture, or genetics? I don't know.
                Introducing the word 'blackness' does not result in the conclusion your reaching, and hypothetically is not a rational response. IT is seer who i

The term racism is defined in the dictionary. Primarily cultural, but realizing and dealing with problem behind racism is not the primary issue.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  People who see racisim around every corner and comment should probably do some self examination about their own biases.
                  Back in the day, the character of Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars was like a Rorschach test for racism. People looked at him and said, "He's a six-foot tall orange alien who walks funny, is unintelligent, and he has a speech impediment! That is such an obvious caricature of black people! George Lucas is a racist!"

My usual response was, "So when you see a fictional character who walks funny, is unintelligent, and has a speech impediment, your first thought is 'That's a black person'?" I actually said that to one of my coworkers, and he stared at me for a few seconds and then said, "Well... I didn't... I mean..." I just smiled and walked away.

Comment

Back in the day, the character of Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars was like a Rorschach test for racism. People looked at him and said, "He's a six-foot tall orange alien who walks funny, is unintelligent, and he has a speech impediment! That is such an obvious caricature of black people! George Lucas is a racist!"

My usual response was, "So when you see a fictional character who walks funny, is unintelligent, and has a speech impediment, your first thought is 'That's a black person'?" I actually said that to one of my coworkers, and he stared at me for a few seconds and then said, "Well... I didn't... I mean..." I just smiled and walked away.
                    Yeah, it's always interesting how people manage to find racism where the rest of us just accept the difference.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yeah, it's always interesting how people manage to find racism where the rest of us just accept the difference.
                      Keep in mind that those who talk about "dog whistles" (messages or signals that only racists spot) are tacitly admitting that they're racist since they seem to pick up on the messages that only racists will detect.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought it was obvious that Jar Jar was supposed to be slightly based on a Caribbean Rastafarian stereotype. It occurred to me as soon as he came onto screen, and I figured it was pretty obvious. I didn't find it offensive at all, especially since Lucas often adds aliens in the Star Wars films that are semi-reminiscent of foreign cultures in order to make the movie universe seem grand and more exotic. It's not at all uncommon to hear people suggest that Nien Nunb is somewhat stereotypically Hispanic looking, though he speaks with an African dialect. Watto looks/acts like the stereotype of an old classic movie NY Italian/Jewish/Middle Eastern fruit seller/shop keeper. The Neimoidians sound/look vaguely SE Asian. The Tusken Raiders are vaguely Bedouin. I don't think any of these characters suggest Lucas is racist, but I think it's naive to suggest that they are not in some fashion based on something in the real world. A film lover like Lucas constantly filled his films with all sorts of classic movie homages and characters he grew up with. There wasn't any inherently sinister or racist motivation to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          I thought it was obvious that Jar Jar was supposed to be slightly based on a Caribbean Rastafarian stereotype. It occurred to me as soon as he came onto screen, and I figured it was pretty obvious. I didn't find it offensive at all, especially since Lucas often adds aliens in the Star Wars films that are semi-reminiscent of foreign cultures in order to make the movie universe seem grand and more exotic. It's not at all uncommon to hear people suggest that Nien Nunb is somewhat stereotypically Hispanic looking, though he speaks with an African dialect. Watto looks/acts like the stereotype of an old classic movie NY Italian/Jewish/Middle Eastern fruit seller/shop keeper. The Neimoidians sound/look vaguely SE Asian. The Tusken Raiders are vaguely Bedouin. I don't think any of these characters suggest Lucas is racist, but I think it's naive to suggest that they are not in some fashion based on something in the real world. A film lover like Lucas constantly filled his films with all sorts of classic movie homages and characters he grew up with. There wasn't any inherently sinister or racist motivation to that.
                          There were some critics who found it all terribly offensive.

Comment

There were some critics who found it all terribly offensive.
                            They did, but the stereotype was real even if I think taking offense of it was silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              They did, but the stereotype was real even if I think taking offense of it was silly.
                              Was there any backlash regarding Sebastian in The Little Mermaid that you recall?
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Sorry for the typo error previous post.

Introducing the word 'blackness' does not result in the conclusion your reaching, and hypothetically is not a rational response. IT is seer who referred to black crime as the cause of the prejudice on the part of law enforcement. I do not believe carp did. Yes being black makes on a target of racism in law enforcement.

The term racism is defined in the dictionary. Primarily cultural, but realizing and dealing with problem behind racism is the primary issue.

Frank

Comment