Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Was there any backlash regarding Sebastian in The Little Mermaid that you recall?
    I don't know. I don't really follow Disney stuff that closely. I've never watched the Little Mermaid, and only very recently watched The Lion King because it was on my 1001 Movies You Must See list (I didn't care for it).

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It was in fact carpe who introduced and repeatedly emphasized the term "blackness" and then hypocritically complained about how racist the concept is. Frankly, I still don't have a good handle on what the term even means. Is it referring to culture, or genetics? I don't know.
      Yes, I first used the word "blackness." No, I never said anything like what is posted here. I invite folks to reread what I actually said in my posts preceding this one. It boils down to a simple message: the expression "black people are more violent" (including variants that include "than X") perpetuate an untrue stereotype: that violence is linked to the color of one's skin (i.e., being black, blackness, etc.). I made a request that people consider adjusting this language to avoid this effect.

This is not a "secret message" that only racists can detect; it's implicit in the words. Misrepresenting it doesn't change the reality. And yes, I know that statistically, more crimes are committed by people who are black than by people who are white. That violence is not a function of "being black" but is a function of poverty, education levels, and a variety of other factors. There is no evidence I know of that "being black" is causally linked to violence.

And I'll make this the last time I correct the sea of misrepresentations of what I have actually said. Hopefully, future readers will be savvy enough to sort out the misrepresentations from the original statement/request.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        It boils down to a simple message: the expression "black people are more violent" (including variants that include "than X") perpetuate an untrue stereotype: that violence is linked to the color of one's skin (i.e., being black, blackness, etc.).
        Ironically, you're the only one going to great lengths to emphasize this message. What we are saying is that according to crime statistics, blacks commit a disproportionate percentage of violent crime, but you keep trying to twist this uncontroversial fact into something racist, and I'm not sure what your motive is.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Ironically, you're the only one going to great lengths to emphasize this message. What we are saying is that according to crime statistics, blacks commit a disproportionate percentage of violent crime, but you keep trying to twist this uncontroversial fact into something racist, and I'm not sure what your motive is.
          Again, this not the subject of the thread, and it is more the fact of racism in "history" and manifest in law enforcement today, but nonetheless what many neglect and avoid is the "history" behind the racism and crime in the black community. You and others have avoided the fact of "history" that racism deprived black of many of the benefits of our society throughout our history, and poverty itself is only one element of the problem. Yes, poverty occurs in most races in the USA, but "historically" blacks did not have the mobility nor opportunity to get out of poverty, and whites had the opportunity and mobility. The reality of the history of racism in the USA is indeed a contributing factor to violent crime in black communities..

Why is there a disproportionate amount of crime in black communities?
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I thought it was obvious that Jar Jar was supposed to be slightly based on a Caribbean Rastafarian stereotype. It occurred to me as soon as he came onto screen, and I figured it was pretty obvious. I didn't find it offensive at all, especially since Lucas often adds aliens in the Star Wars films that are semi-reminiscent of foreign cultures in order to make the movie universe seem grand and more exotic. It's not at all uncommon to hear people suggest that Nien Nunb is somewhat stereotypically Hispanic looking, though he speaks with an African dialect. Watto looks/acts like the stereotype of an old classic movie NY Italian/Jewish/Middle Eastern fruit seller/shop keeper. The Neimoidians sound/look vaguely SE Asian. The Tusken Raiders are vaguely Bedouin. I don't think any of these characters suggest Lucas is racist, but I think it's naive to suggest that they are not in some fashion based on something in the real world. A film lover like Lucas constantly filled his films with all sorts of classic movie homages and characters he grew up with. There wasn't any inherently sinister or racist motivation to that.
            You pretty much hit it right on the head. Though with JarJar I can't remember associating him with any particular stereotype as a kid, I just thought he was clownish, and his character was annoying to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              I don't know, but there is, and it explains why blacks are more likely to have a negative encounter with the police.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                You pretty much hit it right on the head. Though with JarJar I can't remember associating him with any particular stereotype as a kid, I just thought he was clownish, and his character was annoying to me.
                A character struggling with a foreign culture, and a foreign language nowhere near mastered. I could relate. Add to that trying to cope with a completely alien technology - Lucas had Jar-jar well and truly in character.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Again, this not the subject of the thread, and it is more the fact of racism in "history" and manifest in law enforcement today, but nonetheless what many neglect and avoid is the "history" behind the racism and crime in the black community. You and others have avoided the fact of "history" that racism deprived black of many of the benefits of our society throughout our history, and poverty itself is only one element of the problem. Yes, poverty occurs in most races in the USA, but "historically" blacks did not have the mobility nor opportunity to get out of poverty, and whites had the opportunity and mobility. The reality of the history of racism in the USA is indeed a contributing factor to violent crime in black communities..

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking the only answer acceptable to you is 'racism'.

The truth is that there isn't any one thing that is the cause, but a bunch of issues, including poverty, racism, family breakdown, unhealthy role models, negative culture, self-pity and entitlement, lack of opportunities and more. And most of those issues have multiple causes and factors as well.
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    Yes, but I think it's the people who insisted that they were offensive racist stereotypes were exposing their own feelings of racism towards the supposedly offended groups.

Comment

• Is it correct that there is a disproportionate level of violence by blacks against blacks?

('black' is Shuya's term)

If so, how does this result from white racism against blacks? Shouldn't blacks be disproportionately more violent against whites and less against their own race?
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        Is it correct that there is a disproportionate level of violence by blacks against blacks?

If so, how does this result from white racism against blacks? Shouldn't blacks be disproportionately more violent against whites and less against their own race?
                        But that thing there what you have posted is a mere fact. What has facts got to do with virtue signalling and moral outrage?
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I don't know, but there is, and it explains why blacks are more likely to have a negative encounter with the police.
                          Actually no, this simply represents an acknowledgement racism and profiling by police based on race. Many incidents of violence against blacks involves racial profiling and the victims were not criminals.

I gave important well documented reasons for high crime among blacks, and it is grounded in a known documented "history" of racism, which has not been acknowledged nor responded to.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-27-2019, 09:28 PM.
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                            Is it correct that there is a disproportionate level of violence by blacks against blacks?

If so, how does this result from white racism against blacks?
                            The "history" of oppressive racism by whites against blacks, which has not been avoided and not addressed.

Shouldn't blacks be disproportionately more violent against whites and less against their own race?
                            Not necessarily, when it comes to crime the greatest violence is within race or ethnic minority as in the Mafia.

Frank

Comment

• Historically you would be hard pressed to find any non-racist race, and social groups oppressing other social groups is equally common throughout all races. Whites don't have a monopoly on that kind of thing. It's just more noticable to us because it's in our own back-yard. Buying in to the "whites are evil because they are racist and elitist" narrative doesn't have a lot of traction with people who know something of the real history of elitism and racism. Whites aren't worse, we're just no better.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                Historically you would be hard pressed to find any non-racist race, and social groups oppressing other social groups is equally common throughout all races. Whites don't have a monopoly on that kind of thing. It's just more noticable to us because it's in our own back-yard. Buying in to the "whites are evil because they are racist and elitist" narrative doesn't have a lot of traction with people who know something of the real history of elitism and racism. Whites aren't worse, we're just no better.
                                Isn't that the truth. I didn't know that Latinos could have an internal racist thing. I found that my neighbors from Mexico considered themselves Spanish and looked down on some of my other Latino neighbors who were native to South America. And they had zero love for black folk..
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment