Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those statistics don't show the proportion of assailants of police by race. If 40% of the people attacking are of a particular racial (or whatever) background, it would be expected that 40% of the people meeting with retaliation will be of that group. That same group may make up only 5% of the general population, which is irrelevant to the proportion of encounters.

Not that I'm making a case for no police prejudice - just pointing out that the raw statistics (as presented) don't give a basis for any kind of conclusion.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Those statistics don't show the proportion of assailants of police by race. If 40% of the people attacking are of a particular racial (or whatever) background, it would be expected that 40% of the people meeting with retaliation will be of that group. That same group may make up only 5% of the general population, which is irrelevant to the proportion of encounters.

Not that I'm making a case for no police prejudice - just pointing out that the raw statistics (as presented) don't give a basis for any kind of conclusion.
      I believe they do, and you are playing ENRON bookkeeping to justify your agenda.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I believe they do, and you are playing ENRON bookkeeping to justify your agenda.
        Incidents like this are almost a daily occurrence:

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/16/us/phoenix-police-misconduct-shoplift/index.html

(CNN)The mayor of Phoenix apologized to a family who said that police drew guns on them after an alleged shoplifting incident at a Dollar Store last month.

"I, like many others, am sick over what I have seen in the video depicting Phoenix police interacting with a family and young children," Mayor Kate Gallego said in a statement.
        "It was completely inappropriate and clearly unprofessional. There is no situation in which this behavior is ever close to acceptable. As a mother myself, seeing these children placed in such a terrifying situation is beyond upsetting. I am deeply sorry for what this family went through, and I apologize to our community."

The couple -- Dravon Ames, Iesha Harper and their two children -- have filed a notice of claim against the city for $10 million, which serves as a precursor to a lawsuit. In the notice of claim, they say that the police incident began after they realized that their 4-year-old daughter had taken a Barbie doll from the store.
        A police report obtained by CNN says that the incident escalated after the couple refused police commands.

Team ROC, a philanthropy affiliated with Jay-Z's Roc Nation, said Sunday it had offered legal and emotional support to the family, according to spokesman Didier Morais.
        Mayor Gallego said the city is speeding up the implementation of body-worn cameras across its police department so that every precinct will have cameras by August. She also called for a community meeting on Tuesday to discuss the incident with residents.

"I recognize that to get to the bottom of this issue and implement meaningful change, we are going to have some uncomfortable and painful conversations. These conversations must continue until every one of our residents feels safe in our community."

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Yup. People need to make sure they're not confusing correlation with causation. Two very different things.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Incidents like this are almost a daily occurrence:
            Do you have any idea whatsoever how many times a day police officers across our nation interact with a citizens and there's "NTR" (nothing to report)? None of those contacts make the news.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
              Yup. People need to make sure they're not confusing correlation with causation. Two very different things.
              Just FYI, a friend of mine whose half white and half black was pulled on a highway and the officer let her go. She was doing nothing wrong. My husband tells me that in that same region, a police officer openly admitted to profiling and just pulling random blacks over because they were black
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                Ignoring this reference and many others does not help our case. Causation is supported by sufficient evidence of correlation.

There is a long history involved here, which is being tragically ignored. It not just the surveys and other research that demonstrates the problems, but accurate recorded history for the past 200 years or more.

Like the others you're getting a lot of sand in your ears.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-16-2019, 09:38 PM.

Frank

Comment

Your selective use of stats shows your bias.
                  The fact Shuny, is that blacks for instance are more violent than whites, so they are going to have more interaction with police, and most likely more violent encounters. And these numbers hold for assaults and robberies as the link shows.

Homicide

According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with European Americans 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost 8 times higher than European Americans, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of European Americans victims killed by European Americans, and 93% of African Americans victims were killed by African Americans.[49][50][51]

In 2013, number and percentage of murder arrests by race were:

Black or African Americans 4,379 = 51.3%
                  White Americans (non-Hispanic Americans) 2,861 = 33.5%
                  Hispanic Americans 1,096 = 12.8%
                  American Indians or Alaska Natives 98 = 1.14%
                  Asian Americans 101 = 1.18%[52][53]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    The fact Shuny, is that blacks for instance are more violent than whites, so they are going to have more interaction with police, and most likely more violent encounters. And these numbers hold for assaults and robberies as the link shows.
                    Even decades ago, MLKjr said...

“Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We’ve got to face that. And we’ve got to do something about our moral standards,” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. told a congregation in 1961. “We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can’t keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves.”
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Even decades ago, MLKjr said...

“Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We’ve got to face that. And we’ve got to do something about our moral standards,” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. told a congregation in 1961. “We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can’t keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves.”
                      There is no question that blacks are more violent than whites, by a large degree (whatever the reason). And that probably accounts for why there is more violent interaction with cops.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Facebook is not a private place for personal private conversations. It is not a place for anonymous communications unless one greatly limits access.
                        If you saw my facebook page you would not see anything but my profile picture. You can't even see my friends list.

Comment

There is no question that blacks are more violent than whites, by a large degree (whatever the reason). And that probably accounts for why there is more violent interaction with cops.
                          It has calmed down now, but for a while, we had quite a number of incidents where an officer would stop a vehicle, and a male black occupant would emerge (even after being told to stay in the vehicle) in a menacing way, approaching the officer yelling "Shoot me, you [person who has unwanted sex with a female parent], SHOOT ME!"

We have a number of black officers, one of whom is a shift commander, and the officers developed a "code maroon" where a black officer (preferably a shift commander) would show up on the scene and offer to take the offender to jail if the offender didn't calm down and cooperate. Meanwhile, the officer would explain to the subject that his bodycam was operating, and the recording would be retained for any subsequent legal challenges. Apparently, word got out, cause these incidents stopped about as quickly as they began.

Comment

It has calmed down now, but for a while, we had quite a number of incidents where an officer would stop a vehicle, and a male black occupant would emerge (even after being told to stay in the vehicle) in a menacing way, approaching the officer yelling "Shoot me, you [person who has unwanted sex with a female parent], SHOOT ME!"

We have a number of black officers, one of whom is a shift commander, and the officers developed a "code maroon" where a black officer (preferably a shift commander) would show up on the scene and offer to take the offender to jail if the offender didn't calm down and cooperate. Meanwhile, the officer would explain to the subject that his bodycam was operating, and the recording would be retained for any subsequent legal challenges. Apparently, word got out, cause these incidents stopped about as quickly as they began.
                            Body Cams are needed - why doesn't the ACLU want them?

Comment

Body Cams are needed - why doesn't the ACLU want them?
                              Didn't know they didn't want them.

Comment

Didn't know they didn't want them.
                                Me neither either.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment