Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Body Cams are needed - why doesn't the ACLU want them?
    Privacy issues, most likely.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I know there was a big resistance, at first, from police officers to bodycams -- like "I'm being spied on" -- but after a number of officers were cleared of false allegations by their bodycam footage, that changed pretty quickly.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

According to a critique article in Lawenforcementtoday.com:

Source: Lawenforcementtoday.com

A “report” was just released that “proved” cops are racist. There’s only one problem with it. It’s a load of B.S.

© Copyright Original Source

The article claims that the total number of Law enforcement posters found to be posting something that was or could be construed as racist was 400....even assuming all were active officers that's 400 out of approx. 900,000 officers....so, nothing to see here...
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          Just FYI, a friend of mine whose half white and half black was pulled on a highway and the officer let her go. She was doing nothing wrong. My husband tells me that in that same region, a police officer openly admitted to profiling and just pulling random blacks over because they were black
          She wasn't doing anything wrong, according to her. I don't know your friend, so I'll let you be the judge of her credibility. But do you know how many times I've had people shout at me that they 'weren't doing anything wrong' when I stopped them? It happens so often it's normally unremarkable. Sometimes, I didn't have much to do and decided to see what I could get into. So I'd start pulling people for having tag or brake lights out, having a license plate cover, having their tag mounted at a slight angle (statute says it must horizontal), having a crack in their windshield, speeding at like 6 mph over the limit, failure to maintain lane control, or any number of minor motor vehicle violations. An officer who is familiar with motor vehicle laws in my state can find a reason to pull over dang near anyone if he looks hard enough. But ask any of those people who complained about my stopping them, and they 'weren't doing anything wrong', despite the fact that there was a legitimate violation. They perceive the stop differently.

Story time again. I once pulled over someone who works for the same government I do, but a different department. He was driving 19 mph over the posted speed limit (I used to write anyone doing 15 or more over, and if traffic or environmental factors were worse, sometimes as low as 11 over), and I had the radar locked and pulled out of from my hiding spot before he was even 100 yards from me. I couldn't even tell what kind of car it was, let alone the demographics of the driver by that point. Once I got him stopped, I got a bunch of smart questions about when the speed limit changed (answer: more than four years prior, and he drives the same route 1-3 times per week to go to church).

But...he was a black guy driving in a mostly white neighborhood. I asked him to do me a favor and slow down, then gave him a written warning. By the time I got back to the office (about 8 minutes after clearing the stop), he had already called his pastor, who called my supervisor to complain about the stop. Heck, this was almost 7 years ago and the man still won't even say hi to me when I see him at work, and I cut him a break. That is, unfortunately, the attitude of many people of color I've dealt with. It doesn't matter that they were breaking the law, it matters that they're black -- and that's the version they're telling all their friends and family. I have many more examples of this.

That said, you'll notice that even above, I didn't say I'd NEVER seen racism at play in my work. I just said it didn't happen often and that I rarely see it (I think I said it was "difficult to see").
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            According to a critique article in Lawenforcementtoday.com:

Source: Lawenforcementtoday.com

A “report” was just released that “proved” cops are racist. There’s only one problem with it. It’s a load of B.S.

There is no competent reliable report that 'proves' anything of the sort.

The article claims that the total number of Law enforcement posters found to be posting something that was or could be construed as racist was 400....even assuming all were active officers that's 400 out of approx. 900,000 officers....so, nothing to see here...
            This is only one peice of the evidence of the on going problem of racism in law enforcement. No, there is no assumption here in any of the competentent references stating; 'law enforcement is racist.'
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I know there was a big resistance, at first, from police officers to bodycams -- like "I'm being spied on" -- but after a number of officers were cleared of false allegations by their bodycam footage, that changed pretty quickly.
              My main concern with body cameras was (is) that, believe it or not, the camera can lie. How something is shot, what's shown and what's missing from the camera's perspective, what can be heard and not seen off camera, lens distortion, optical illusions created by foreshortening and perspective, light trickery, and things hidden in shadow, etc. Not to mention what the camera can pick up that the officer may not be able to see... These can all work against an officer's perspective of an incident, or even the realty of the situation, and now you have this "hard evidence" that may work against the officer's testimony, and of course people would rather believe their eyes rather than someone's say-so (especially if their job or freedom is on the line), but their eyes can be deceived. Unless you have some sort of visual/audio expert testimony available for every single case, body cameras have the potential to make an innocent man guilty (or vice versa even).

I guess ultimately it comes down to whether or not cameras help more than they hurt. In a society that's less and less trusting of police, if cameras can put the truth to a lie coming from a perpetrator's mouth, then it's worth the risk.

Comment

There are good cops and bad ones. The problem is that according to many of the public, ALL cops are bad and every time one bad one is in the news, they use it as an excuse to condemn all cops. That is what is known as "bigotry" -- it is no different than some white person saying all black people are lazy, or crooks, or whatever. The good cops outnumber the bad ones by a significant margin, but you only hear about the bad ones because that is what makes news. And half of the time THAT isn't even true. They are scapegoating a good police officer for doing his job the way he is supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  My main concern with body cameras was (is) that, believe it or not, the camera can lie. How something is shot, what's shown and what's missing from the camera's perspective, what can be heard and not seen off camera, lens distortion, optical illusions created by foreshortening and perspective, light trickery, and things hidden in shadow, etc. Not to mention what the camera can pick up that the officer may not be able to see...
                  The current crop of bodycams in use are actually pretty good, but, yes, that's only corroborative evidence, and can't tell the whole story, especially when only turned on or off at certain points.

These can all work against an officer's perspective of an incident, or even the realty of the situation, and now you have this "hard evidence" that may work against the officer's testimony, and of course people would rather believe their eyes rather than someone's say-so (especially if their job or freedom is on the line), but their eyes can be deceived. Unless you have some sort of visual/audio expert testimony available for every single case, body cameras have the potential to make an innocent man guilty (or vice versa even).
                  Totally agree -- there are a number of incidents I'm aware of where the bodycam footage didn't appear to 'help' the officer, until the dashcam video was also considered.

I guess ultimately it comes down to whether or not cameras help more than they hurt. In a society that's less and less trusting of police, if cameras can put the truth to a lie coming from a perpetrator's mouth, then it's worth the risk.
                  I, personally, think the bodycam will help the honest cop who is smart enough to use them to his advantage - like attempting to deescalate the incident by informing the subject "this is all being recorded", and, with that in mind, maintaining his own professionalism.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I, personally, think the bodycam will help the honest cop who is smart enough to use them to his advantage - like attempting to deescalate the incident by informing the subject "this is all being recorded", and, with that in mind, maintaining his own professionalism.
                    Way before bodycams, we had the huge VHS based recorder systems in our 'processing' room at the police department, so the booking of persons was recorded.

I actually had to arrest a city councilwoman for public intoxication, and all the way back to the station, she was screaming obscenities, threatening to take my badge, threatening to ... um... "Lorena Bobbit" me.... She continued this tirade when we got back to the booking room, and she even looked directly at the camera on a number of occasions so she could threaten the Chief, who she was sure was in another room at 3 AM, watching her.

At a pre-trial hearing, her attorney present, they were not only seeking to have all charges dropped, but were threatening abuse of power, unlawful detention, and all kinds of stuff.

Our city attorney listened to all of this, then very calmly got up, hit "play" on the giant recorder, and the council woman's 'performance' was on display in all her glory, multiple F words, threats, etc....

HER attorney quickly got up and pressed "stop", and told the city attorney, "we'd like to discuss any plea that may still be on the table".

ETA: On a side note, it turned out to be incredibly helpful having the video, because said councilwoman was absolutely horrified that she had acted that way --- not just that she "got caught" -- but she actually sincerely apologized and decided to go in for help for her drinking.

Comment

Way before bodycams, we had the huge VHS based recorder systems in our 'processing' room at the police department, so the booking of persons was recorded.

I actually had to arrest a city councilwoman for public intoxication, and all the way back to the station, she was screaming obscenities, threatening to take my badge, threatening to ... um... "Lorena Bobbit" me.... She continued this tirade when we got back to the booking room, and she even looked directly at the camera on a number of occasions so she could threaten the Chief, who she was sure was in another room at 3 AM, watching her.

At a pre-trial hearing, her attorney present, they were not only seeking to have all charges dropped, but were threatening abuse of power, unlawful detention, and all kinds of stuff.

Our city attorney listened to all of this, then very calmly got up, hit "play" on the giant recorder, and the council woman's 'performance' was on display in all her glory, multiple F words, threats, etc....

HER attorney quickly got up and pressed "stop", and told the city attorney, "we'd like to discuss any plea that may still be on the table".

ETA: On a side note, it turned out to be incredibly helpful having the video, because said councilwoman was absolutely horrified that she had acted that way --- not just that she "got caught" -- but she actually sincerely apologized and decided to go in for help for her drinking.
                      I have never been so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing or remember it later. And I have been pretty drunk when I was a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I have never been so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing or remember it later. And I have been pretty drunk when I was a teenager.
                        Yeah, when I was in my teenage rebellion, I would drink, and just get sleepy and wanna go home and go to bed. Kavanaugh, on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I woke up in the back seat of my 64 Impala Super sport, with the car running, in park and stopped at a light. I was using a large pizza as a pillow. Right in front of the police station. It was an officer who woke me up.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Incidents like this are almost a daily occurrence:

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/16/us/phoenix-police-misconduct-shoplift/index.html

(CNN)The mayor of Phoenix apologized to a family who said that police drew guns on them after an alleged shoplifting incident at a Dollar Store last month.

"I, like many others, am sick over what I have seen in the video depicting Phoenix police interacting with a family and young children," Mayor Kate Gallego said in a statement.
                            "It was completely inappropriate and clearly unprofessional. There is no situation in which this behavior is ever close to acceptable. As a mother myself, seeing these children placed in such a terrifying situation is beyond upsetting. I am deeply sorry for what this family went through, and I apologize to our community."

The couple -- Dravon Ames, Iesha Harper and their two children -- have filed a notice of claim against the city for $10 million, which serves as a precursor to a lawsuit. In the notice of claim, they say that the police incident began after they realized that their 4-year-old daughter had taken a Barbie doll from the store.
                            A police report obtained by CNN says that the incident escalated after the couple refused police commands.

Team ROC, a philanthropy affiliated with Jay-Z's Roc Nation, said Sunday it had offered legal and emotional support to the family, according to spokesman Didier Morais.
                            Mayor Gallego said the city is speeding up the implementation of body-worn cameras across its police department so that every precinct will have cameras by August. She also called for a community meeting on Tuesday to discuss the incident with residents.

"I recognize that to get to the bottom of this issue and implement meaningful change, we are going to have some uncomfortable and painful conversations. These conversations must continue until every one of our residents feels safe in our community."

Do you suppose the situation wouldn't have escalated if they had simply done what they were told?
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't think it was the "I'm being spied on" aspect as much as it was the police were concerned that people would analyze the footage from the safety and comfort of their desks and second guess a police officer who was forced to make a split-second life-or-death decision in the heat of the moment.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Do you suppose the situation wouldn't have escalated if they had simply done what they were told?
                                No. I've seen footage of the incident.
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment