Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I don't think it was the "I'm being spied on" aspect as much as it was the police were concerned that people would analyze the footage from the safety and comfort of their desks and second guess a police officer who was forced to make a split-second life-or-death decision in the heat of the moment.
    I'm no longer a police officer, but I'm still a police chaplain and am around this stuff a lot, and was involved in this transition in both our local PD and SO. It was a combination of a lot of factors. What you brought up was certainly a major consideration.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      No. I've seen footage of the incident.
      My question was admittedly oddly worded, so I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So this guy goes to buy a car, then shoots the seller 5 times and steals the car. Then he posts on facebook bragging that the police can't catch him. US Marshalls go after him and he rams their car and comes at them shooting. They shoot back and kill him and the crowd starts rioting and throwing stuff at the police injuring 36 of them, 6 had to go to the hospital. THEN the dead guy's father goes and put out a "hit" on law enforcement officers.

Comment

My question was admittedly oddly worded, so I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
          Roy agreeing with you? I suppose there's a first time for everything.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            So this guy goes to buy a car, then shoots the seller 5 times and steals the car. Then he posts on facebook bragging that the police can't catch him. US Marshalls go after him and he rams their car and comes at them shooting. They shoot back and kill him and the crowd starts rioting and throwing stuff at the police injuring 36 of them, 6 had to go to the hospital. THEN the dead guy's father goes and put out a "hit" on law enforcement officers.
            And the MSM falls for it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And the MSM falls for it.
              pretty much. It's the police's fault for shooting a murderer who was shooting at them, just because the kid was black. This world has gone crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Roy agreeing with you? I suppose there's a first time for everything.
                4FourHorsemen.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  pretty much. It's the police's fault for shooting a murderer who was shooting at them, just because the kid was black. This world has gone crazy.
                  No, not the issue of the thread.

Over the top extreme sarcasm noted.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    not the issue of the thread.
                    The "issue" is that you have yet to show that police are racist at a higher rate than the general population, or that racism is a pervasive and systemic issue in police departments in general.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The "issue" is that you have yet to show that police are racist at a higher rate than the general population, or that racism is a pervasive and systemic issue in police departments in general.
                      He finally said he's not claiming the first part, and but seems to think he's proven the second.
                      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

With regard to the discussion about body cameras, another factor is what's happening where I work. Which is also exactly what they assured us would not happen when they rolled out body cameras. They're reviewing body camera video seemingly at random and then disciplining officers for minor policy violations that no one has complained about it. You wore sunglasses while you weren't driving? Paperwork. You said a curse word while talking to a member of the public? Paperwork. It's insanity.

I've also heard of BLM activists not supporting body cameras because some of the footage is being used to disapprove the false claims made by criminal offenders. The argument is that body cameras deny them the opportunity to make stuff up to further their political agenda. I don't have any sources on that, though.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                          With regard to the discussion about body cameras, another factor is what's happening where I work. Which is also exactly what they assured us would not happen when they rolled out body cameras. They're reviewing body camera video seemingly at random and then disciplining officers for minor policy violations that no one has complained about it. You wore sunglasses while you weren't driving? Paperwork. You said a curse word while talking to a member of the public? Paperwork. It's insanity.
                          Wow, haven't heard of that in either our PD or SO.

I've also heard of BLM activists not supporting body cameras because some of the footage is being used to disapprove the false claims made by criminal offenders. The argument is that body cameras deny them the opportunity to make stuff up to further their political agenda. I don't have any sources on that, though.
                          That would be a major factor FOR bodycams!

Comment

With regard to the discussion about body cameras, another factor is what's happening where I work.....
                            Just out of curiosity, was there a privacy statement or agreement you signed when you started wearing the bodycam? Or was it all just verbal.

Comment

I haven't argued against that. I simply expressed a lack of surprise about it, and the OP seems to disagree with me. I haven't made any arguments about how officer's social media post impact the image of their agency and affect the relationship with the community.

But since we're talking about it, it rather annoys me that my freedom of speech is severely curtailed because of my profession. I can't really talk about political issues on social media, or even publicly vent about my employer because of the perception of the public. And the Supreme Court has ruled that this reduction of 1st Amendment rights is constitutional, which is a load of crap. If I were in another profession, I would have a much higher degree to freedom to express myself publicly.

That said, I understand the reasoning behind it and generally comply because I prefer to remain employed.
                              Just a thought. This does not seem to me to be a "freedom of speech" issue. No one is saying, "you cannot post this on Facebook." What it seems to me is being said is, "we cannot afford to have a police officer with racist views armed and charged with enforcing the law." It doesn't matter how you learn they have racist views. It could be locker-room talk, a complaint from a suspect, a video taken on someone's smart phone, a chest-cam, a post on Facebook, or the swastika tattoo on their forehead (TIC).

What matters is the caliber of people wearing the blue and charged with public safety. I would consider it a basic job requirement that someone applying to be a police officer not exhibit racial prejudice (or any prejudice) that could color the performance of their job.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                I imagine there are deep rooted socio factors involved that after awhile, even otherwise well meaning police officers end up profiling people by race. If you're a beat cop, and your daily interactions mean hitting certain parts of the city, and/or primarily dealing with minority groups, that's eventually going to shape ones thinking about those minority groups (even if you belong to said minority group). Human nature is to profile and stereotype, and it's hard to break free from those habits. Breaking officers free from that sort of negative profiling may mean getting them involved in the community in positive ways outside of law enforcement, and helping the community itself to become more involved in self-policing, not in a law enforcement sense, but in openly discouraging get-over types, and trouble-making outliers, working with law enforcement to actively shut down illegal operations, and taking pride in one's environment through broken window policing.
                                These are excellent observations. I watched that exact dynamic happen with both my uncle (RIP) and my cousin-in-law. When I was a child, I remembered being surprised as each visit with my uncle (usually once a year) saw him move more and more into anti-black rhetoric. My cousin-in-law has always been a church-going, law-abiding, Christian sort who would never say a bad word about anyone. He went through the academy as my wife and I were engaged, and then I watched him, over the course of 30 years, cycle down that exact path. Your suggestions are good ones. Would that more police forces would actually include that as part of the job function, so that police officers are not doing that kind of interaction on their own dime.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment