Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Making "Julie" Stop calling about my non existant warranty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making "Julie" Stop calling about my non existant warranty.

They happen 5 and 6 times or more a day. "Julie" From the warranty department calls about the non-existent car warranty. Or the student loan forgiveness calls. Thankfully Congress stopped fighting long enough to MAKE THE CALLS STOP!!!

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...egal-robocalls
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Thank you.
    sigpic

Comment

Now someone needs to tell those making the calls.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Deal with marketing calls the same way you deal with email spam: block the number and report it to your carrier. Android phones offer this as a default feature. I don't know about other operating systems.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Deal with marketing calls the same way you deal with email spam: block the number and report it to your carrier. Android phones offer this as a default feature. I don't know about other operating systems.
          The problem is when they employ bogus numbers which at various times has included my number.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The problem is when they employ bogus numbers which at various times has included my number.
            I think the idea is that the phone companies can identify the robo-calls and - with your permission - they never get to your phone in the first place. The only problem is that they didn't make it so that the phone companies have to provide that service 'for free' (nothing is ever 'free', just rolled into your bill), so they could charge you and extra 10 or 15 bucks to allow you to enjoy the peace of not getting robo calls.

But there is another solution. Go get your phone in another state in another area code. Then when all the lame-brained robo-calls come in from an area code associated with that other state where you have few if any reasons to get legit calls, and you know all those numbers if there are any, then you just hit ignore.

I moved a few years back to another state, so I always know when I'm getting a robo-call

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              I think the idea is that the phone companies can identify the robo-calls and - with your permission - they never get to your phone in the first place. The only problem is that they didn't make it so that the phone companies have to provide that service 'for free' (nothing is ever 'free', just rolled into your bill), so they could charge you and extra 10 or 15 bucks to allow you to enjoy the peace of not getting robo calls.
              Ah, well, that may be. My job pays for my phone, so I have no idea if there are any extra costs.

Comment

I just ignore any number that I don't recognize. I mean, I'm not going to complain about listening to my Heavy Metal ringtone.

... Though, a lot of retail stores have been getting targeted lately with the, "We're from Helpdesk/Loss Prevention/Incomm/etc, and we're trying to test your Prepaid Gift Card system. Activate a card, tell us the number, and we'll reimburse the store later," Scam. Thankfully, no one at my store has fallen for it, but- Deep Down- I'm sad they haven't called on a night I work. I want to give them the ol' HAPPY DAN* Treatment!

*Happy Dan is a recurring NPC that I have in my Table-Top games... his voice sounds like King Candy from Wreck-it Ralph amped up to 11.
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

That reminds me of the emails I used to get telling me that my World of Warcraft account needed a security check and to go a website to enter my username and password in order to verify it.

Funny thing is, I don't have a World of Warcraft account...

Comment

Apparently, the FCC is finally making the phone companies verify caller ID information before connecting calls now, too. I think they have until the end of this year to comply. About time! I'm tired of people calling me to tell me to stop calling them, when it's really a scammer calling them with my number on the caller ID. I usually let those calls go to voicemail since I have no way of knowing if it's a scammer calling me, so I re-recorded my voicemail greeting with something to the effect of, "if you keep getting calls from this number, it's not me calling you. It's a scammer using my number on their caller ID."
                    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      They happen 5 and 6 times or more a day. "Julie" From the warranty department calls about the non-existent car warranty. Or the student loan forgiveness calls. Thankfully Congress stopped fighting long enough to MAKE THE CALLS STOP!!!

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...egal-robocalls
                      There was already a $10,000 fine (per call) for calling anyone on the no-call registry, but that hasn't stopped the telemarketers. Unless they actually make the phone companies block spoofed phone numbers, they will never be able to stop these callers, because they don't reveal where they are really calling from. They make the calls through the internet using spoofed phone numbers. So this is legislation without teeth.

ETA - I was wrong about the do not call fines.

" In addition, the FTC, FCC and various state officials have created a maze of rules and regulations that must be followed in order to avoid the costly federal fines of up to $16,000 ($40,000 beginning 08/01/16) and state fines of up to $25,000 per violation."
                      http://www.donotcallcompliance.com/faq.html
                      Last edited by Sparko; 06-10-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I keep getting random calls from numbers with various Kansas area codes (obviously spoofed). I blocked the first one after it called me 2-3 times and they just keep coming up with more numbers. It's some black preacher yelling about how how the devil is attacking me and "Press one! Press one now!" The first few times, I found it amusing.

At this point, I don't answer calls from 620 or 785 area codes.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I got like 6 or 8 phone calls from "Apple, Inc." within a span of a couple hours on Saturday saying there was an issue with one of my devices.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I keep getting random calls from numbers with various Kansas area codes (obviously spoofed). I blocked the first one after it called me 2-3 times and they just keep coming up with more numbers. It's some black preacher yelling about how how the devil is attacking me and "Press one! Press one now!" The first few times, I found it amusing.

At this point, I don't answer calls from 620 or 785 area codes.
                            That's really the only recourse. I don't answer any calls from any number I don't recognize. I let it go to voice mail. most of the spam callers won't leave a voice mail. And if it is someone trying to actually reach me, they will leave a message and I will call them back.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Mickiel?
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment