Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Sex Marriages, Florists, and Bakers

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's perfect, but I don't see it in the list of smilies. Am I missing it somehow?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    That's perfect, but I don't see it in the list of smilies. Am I missing it somehow?
    No. It's from my private collection. You have to save it and download it when posting.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

3. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    ...And with that, I think this has received more than enough attention. It has garnered more back and forth and research than the simple one-sentence post merited, IMO. I'll leave the last word on this topic to you.
    I was reflecting on this exchange as I returned home this evening. I found myself concluding that something was lost in the exchange. My initial post was a couple of sentences, and it triggered a great deal of back and forth about what constitutes "uncivil" discussion and whether or not it can be challenged/called out.

What was lost was the fact that I actually consider you, Adrift, one of the better posters on this forum. If we created a continuum with "most civil and respectful" at the top and "most uncivil and disrespectful" at the bottom, you would be one of those I would place well above the center line. If I were to assess myself, I think I'd put myself near your level, but probably (slightly?) below it. I would put MaxVel above both of us, together with Guaca. I appreciate the fact that I can almost always count on a civil exchange with you, even if we have significantly differing views and one or both of us feels passionately about it.

Those who lie below the center line should know themselves, but probably don't and would likely deny it if named. Some of them go so far as to defend a lack of civility as justified and even desirable. I have never understood that mindset. I doubt I ever will.

ETA: I realize I said "last word," but I thought this merited compromising my progress on that front to say.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-15-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

5. Amen oxmixmudd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was reflecting on this exchange as I returned home this evening. I found myself concluding that something was lost in the exchange. My initial post was a couple of sentences, and it triggered a great deal of back and forth about what constitutes "uncivil" discussion and whether or not it can be challenged/called out.

What was lost was the fact that I actually consider you, Adrift, one of the better posters on this forum. If we created a continuum with "most civil and respectful" at the top and "most uncivil and disrespectful" at the bottom, you would be one of those I would place well above the center line. If I were to assess myself, I think I'd put myself near your level, but probably (slightly?) below it. I would put MaxVel above both of us, together with Guaca. I appreciate the fact that I can almost always count on a civil exchange with you, even if we have significantly differing views and one or both of us feels passionately about it.

Those who lie below the center line should know themselves, but probably don't and would likely deny it if named. Some of them go so far as to defend a lack of civility as justified and even desirable. I have never understood that mindset. I doubt I ever will.

ETA: I realize I said "last word," but I thought this merited compromising my progress on that front to say.
    Carp, I must say that was quite self serving...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Isn't it interesting. That was actually my original reason for joining TWeb - only about atheist beliefs. And I too am happy to report that the answer has been a resounding "yes."

It doesn't surprise me that you believe that. You have shown yourself to have a, shall we say, very "malleable" belief system.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Carp, I must say that was quite self serving...
    Wow...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that you believe that. You have shown yourself to have a, shall we say, very "malleable" belief system.
    Oddly enough, I was going to respond with something similar for the first part, and opposite for second. Something like:

It doesn't surprise me that you believe that. You have shown yourself to have a, shall we say, very "fixed" belief system that is not (apparently) open to question on your part.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    It seems to me that if anyone here doesn't understand your arguments, it's you. Maybe that's why your posts are so long, you're attempting to harmonize in your mind through these large writing blocks your own contradictory claims, and/or convince yourself you know what you're talking about. Something to mull over.
    Interesting. And I was assuming he simply liked to hear himself talk (in the typing words and reading them sort of way).
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

11. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oddly enough, I was going to respond with something similar for the first part, and opposite for second. Something like:

It doesn't surprise me that you believe that. You have shown yourself to have a, shall we say, very "fixed" belief system that is not (apparently) open to question on your part.
    It's curious to me that you find the idea of reasonable certainty and conviction of belief so distasteful. My beliefs are open to any question you care to ask, but if I strike you as close minded or not easily swayed then perhaps it's because you're not asking very good questions.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wow...
    Really? You put Max and Adrift in the top tier of posters on this site, which they are, then attach yourself to that group. I doubt that most of us who debate with you see you in that top tier. In any case that isn't something a man should claim for himself. It smacks of pride and hubris.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...