Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Designer enzymes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Muller still wasn't talking about the first ribozyme.
    Yes, he was, since the first scenario did not start with an already-existing ribozyme.
    That doesn't mean he was talking about the first ribozyme, since generation of ribozymes from scratch could happen even after other ribozymes already exist.

Here's what Muller actually wrote:
    Source: ibid

The first pathway would have been most important in the beginning of the RNA world, where ribozymes would have to appear de novo from more or less random sequences. The likelihood of these events depends on the information content of each ribozyme. An example for a small ribozyme is the recently discovered aminoacylating ribozyme with three conserved nucleotides (Chumachenko et al., 2009); this ribozyme would have been a frequent guest in an RNA world. However, each bit of sequence information makes the appearance of a larger ribozyme less and less likely (Carothers et al., 2004). An example for a medium-sized ribozyme is the class I ligase with 92 nucleotides. This ribozyme would appear only once in 3 x 1018 molecules of 220-nucleotide random RNA sequence (Ekland et al., 1995). Low probabilities like these present a major hurdle for many ribozymes to appear in an RNA world.

© Copyright Original Source

Muller doesn't say anything at all about the ribozyme with a low probability of occurring being the first ribozyme. In fact, since he gives an example of a ribozyme that has a much higher probability of occurring, being smaller and less constrained, implying that they would appear earlier and that class I ligase would definitely not be the first ribozyme. Even more clearly, Muller explicitly states that many ribozymes would face a major hurdle - so there are others that wouldn't. It's not even necessary to check the context to see that Muller isn't talking about the first ribozyme, but about a subset of ribozymes that are less likely to appear by chance.

So every time you've presented that mined quote as being about the first ribozyme, you either haven't read Muller, haven't understood it, or been lying about it.
    And similarly with other points...
    Yes, and similarly with your other points. They were, like all your attempts at apologetics, also a combination of ignorance and dishonesty.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      You mean you pulled some numbers straight from your asteroid with zero connection to any physical reality. A typical Dory Merrill "science" post in other words.
      The same is true for the calculations of p-value by Muller, and others at the Discovery Institute. Dory's calculations mindlessly mimic those of the Discovery Institute
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        The same is true for the calculations of p-value by Muller, and others at the Discovery Institute. Dory's calculations mindlessly mimic those of the Discovery Institute
        Cargo cult creationism?
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment